[COMPLETE] The Prospective Mother by J. M. Slemons - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jennette

Post by jennette »

The Prospective Mother by J. Morris Slemons (1876-1948)

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-prospective-mother-by-j-morris-slemons/

This abandoned solo has now been opened up as a group project.

*Note: linny is assuming the BCship of this project.

Volunteers outside the USA: J. Morris Slemons died in 1948. His work is probably still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
A Handbook for Women During Pregnancy. This book, written for women who have no special knowledge of medicine, aims to answer the questions which occur to them in the course of pregnancy. Directions for safeguarding their health have been given in detail, and emphasis has been placed upon such measures as may serve to prevent serious complications. (Introduction by J. Morris Slemons)
  • Target completion date: November 30, 2011
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/7129
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    Soloist - please provide *all of* the following:
    [list]
    [*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): na
    [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): na
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 15
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes, both
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1912
    [*]Year of author's death (note: in some countries copyright is author's death + 50 or 70 years): 1948
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?

============================================[/size]
[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
  • "Chapter [number] of The Prospective Mother. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name]"
  • Say:
    "The Prospective Mother by J. Morris Slemons. Chapter [title]."

End of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Prospective Mother by J. Morris Slemons."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename
prospectivem_##_slemons.mp3 (## is the section number)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Title: Chapter 4 - The Food Requirements During Pregnancy (Copy/Paste title from the MW)
Artist: J. Morris Slemons
Album: The Prospective Mother
  • Transfer of files:
    Please upload with the LibriVox uploader::

http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: dl - aradlaw

Please post a link to your file in this thread. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]
jennette

Post by jennette »

I've recorded solo before, but not in a while. Feel free to let me know if I'm doing something incorrectly!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi jennette.

Here's something on J M Slemons...

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/137/15/1328.pdf
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
jennette

Post by jennette »

aradlaw wrote:Hi jennette.

Here's something on J M Slemons...

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/137/15/1328.pdf
Thanks!
jennette

Post by jennette »

jennette

Post by jennette »

Here's a test of the introduction. For some reason, I start to get a lot of computer hiss midway through this recording. I'm recording on a laptop (Garage Band) Mac. Perhaps I should re-record, if I can get around the fan.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/prospectivm_02_slemons.mp3
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi jennette
Since I am here, I might as well MC this for you :D

Your test recordings are in stereo and we require mono, I can dig up the GarageBand instructions for mono if you need them. Also the bit rate is 192 kbps and it should be 128, I am not familiar with GB, but I imagine you would change this in Preferences or as an option when saving to mp3.

Do you still have access to the Magic Window? if not let me know and I will set you up.

This is quite a large book, with a total of 84, 500 words, which should end out with a total length of 9 and a bit hours (calculated at an average rate of 150 wpm.)

The avg chapter will run about 40 or so minutes with chapters 9 & 10 (at 9634 & 10,377 words) being over an hour. You may want to consider dividing some of the longer chapters into parts.
We like to keep section lengths to an hour or less for those readers who burn .wav file CDs, which only hold an hour or so worth of information.

I'll set up the MW shortly, it is no porblem to add additional sections if you decide to break up some of the chapters later.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
jennette

Post by jennette »

Thanks!

Do you know if it is possible to convert stereo mp3s to mono?

Edited to Add: I know how to do it on ProTools, but I don't own ProTools. However, I could do it at work. I'll see about getting these converted.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Here's the GB info

GarageBand
It was in the saving file & sharing process: - save in Compact Project 128kbps AAC

THEN - click SHARE in menu bar 'Send Songs to iTunes'
- check COMPRESS
- Compress Using: MP3 Encoder
- Here's the key section: Audio Settings: choose CUSTOM
- Choose MONO here instead of Stereo
- Bit Rate: 128kbps then share file to iTunes.
David Lawrence

jennette

Post by jennette »

I just found it, too. Thanks for replying. Am re-formatting what I've recorded so far ...
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

jennette wrote:Here's a test of the introduction. For some reason, I start to get a lot of computer hiss midway through this recording. I'm recording on a laptop (Garage Band) Mac. Perhaps I should re-record, if I can get around the fan.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/prospectivm_02_slemons.mp3
Did you do noise cleaning on this file, I think I faintly hear artifacts due to excessive noise cleaning.
It is better to make a couple of noise cleaning attempts with lower values than one go with high values, this seems to leave echoes' or remnants of the noise under the voice.
It is not excessive, the file is still good to use once the stereo and bite rate are dealt with. :)

ETA: your second file is missing the e in prospectivm_02
David Lawrence

jennette

Post by jennette »

I haven't done any noise cleaning after recording. I just put vocal filters on in Garage Band before recording. I haven't had this much hiss before, but I also am new to recording on this laptop (though not new to Garage Band). That's why I thought it was the computer's fan.

HOWEVER, I will be more careful with the vocal filters when I'm recording.
jennette

Post by jennette »

Just re-uploaded (linked in the magic window), mono and bit-rate 128:

Preface 02:59
Introduction 07:14
Chapter 1 33:36

And I made a post using the template to request proofer(s) in that forum.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Great, we're off to a good start, we'll hang out here in New Projects for a day or so and try to attract a DPL.

ETA: I've PLed the first two sections, a pleasure to listen to Jennette.
( I changed the order putting file duration first, it helps check the zip file size during cataloging) :wink:
David Lawrence

aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

I'll move you over to Going Solo.

Did I mention that part of the BC's job is to fill in the Magic Window with the section titles ? :twisted:
David Lawrence