[SPANISH] Poema del otono y otros poemas, by Ruben Dario

Deutsch, Español, Français, Nederlands, Polski, Português, 日本語 ...
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

I was thinking of Azul (the volume which apparently got Dario noticed), but most of it is in prose, and prose I don't think I can read properly (or read without embarrassing myself)...

If you're curious, you can find Azul here:
http://www.damisela.com/literatura/pais/nicaragua/autores/dario/azul/

The alternative is 'Poema del otono,' which is not so readily accessible, but is easier to read... although I'm not sure if I can find translations for most of it, so it might take a while... a long, long while...

You can find it at elaleph.com (You have to register before you acess the text, and the registration form is in Spanish, although the form is much like any user registration form you fill out in English):

http://www.elaleph.com/libros.cfm?item=412&style=Biblioteca

It should be in the public domain, but I'll need some help again with making sure, cuz it's not at PG.

- Linda
fae

Post by fae »

i'm so excited about this!

i just did a quick search and found this:

as to p.d., here's what the wikipedia has to say:
http://es.wikisource.org/wiki/Rub%C3%A9n_Dar%C3%ADo
basicly yes it is p.d.!

i agree that poema del otono would be better. not only easier for you but it's also better know to spanish speakers, the first line is famous among romanics.

but as for long, long while.....

...is that long enough? :wink:

here's the spanish version:
http://luis.salas.net/rd190800.htm

and here's a translation:
http://www.textetc.com/exhibits/et-dario-2.html

:D
Laura

Post by Laura »

Ooohh... i like the sound of this =]

May have to wipe the dust off my spanish....
*//Laura http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraD
fae

Post by fae »

ya know what, i was just thinking about this poem (poema del otono) and i seem to have gotten it confused with cancion de otono en primavera, which is nicer, much more lyrical.

hint, hint to laura--would sound lovely with a gaelic accent!

it is actually cancion that is famous throughout the spanish speaking world. while the other is more famous for putting dario on the map.

it's available directly from the wiki site so as to be doubly sure that the text it is the public domain. i think that the version of the text itself matters and so the previous link i sited may not be appropriate. however, i know we've used stuff form wiki before.

i shall go in search of an english translation and get back to you.

sorry about the mix up!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Three works added to the suggestions summary.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

fae wrote:
...is that long enough? :wink:

here's the spanish version:
http://luis.salas.net/rd190800.htm

and here's a translation:
http://www.textetc.com/exhibits/et-dario-2.html

:D

Ooh... thankyouthankyouthankyou! ... with translations, it shouldn't take quite as long ... *bigsmile*

So let's see... b/c it was published in 1910, there's no question about it being in p.d., right? ... which means I should move this to Readers Wanted... and over there, I'll ask for people to volunteer for individual poems (as we do for our Poetry Collections)...

But before I make my first post, I might need some help with the disclaimer... Um... Fae? :lol: ... you wouldn't know how to say "public domain," would you? ... or better yet, have a spanish version of the disclaimer on hand...? (muchmuchmuchmuchthanx)

- Linda
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

Peter Why wrote:Three works added to the suggestions summary.

Peter
Thank you Peter!
fae

Post by fae »

disclaimer:

Esta es una grabacion de Librivox.
Todas las grabaciones de Librivox son del dominio publico.
Para mas informacion o para ser voluntuario, por favor visite, librivox punto org.
Grabada por ...

Fin del poema...

this is based on the one i hear at the begining of chapters in our books, if there is a different one for poems let me know and i'll amend it.
fae

Post by fae »

Caffeinated wrote:so let's see... b/c it was published in 1910, there's no question about it being in p.d., right?
according to the wiki site all his work is in the p.d. since, by european copyright laws, the author has been dead for more than 70 years and dario died in 1916. the translations of his work, however may not be. but happily that won't bother us!

i may just have to go out and buy a mic ;)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Poems can be the abbreviated one... i.e.

"Title, Author". Grabada por (nombre) para librivox punto org.

and at the end.

Fin del poema. Esta grabacion esta en el domino publico.

or something similiar?
*//Laura http://www.librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/LauraD
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

fae wrote:according to the wiki site all his work is in the p.d. since, by european copyright laws, the author has been dead for more than 70 years and dario died in 1916

yeah! ... hehe... not that dying is so great, but in this case, it serves us well...
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

Laura wrote:Poems can be the abbreviated one... i.e.

"Title, Author". Grabada por (nombre) para librivox punto org.

and at the end.

Fin del poema. Esta grabacion esta en el domino publico.

or something similiar?

Looks good to me! Thank you Laura =) (I'm sure if somebody notices something, they'll speak up in time.) I'll work up a first post for Readers Wanted and should have it ready before the end of the day. :D

Linda
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

Okay... we've hit an itty bitty snag... I was taking a closer look at the site with the Spanish text, and it seems they don't include all the poems from Poema del Otono... and I thought that's fine, we still have El Aleph... however, it seems they have 'all rights reserved'... and I'm not sure if I'm aware of all that this implies... I can imagine that a site like theirs would like some credit in our recordings, for using what they make available... but this is only what I imagine...

I then thought... that's fine too, cuz we still have Azul... but looking at the fine print, I see they too have 'all rights reserved,' and again, I'm not sure what this might imply... cuz not everyone is as cool as PG (or I can't be sure)... Or am I just worrying too much?

I'm not just procrasting... I swear! (I want to get the ball rolling asap... but that little voice inside my head... somebody tell it shut-up)
fae

Post by fae »

okay let's see about poema del otono:

the luis-salas site does actually have all the poems; if you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a yellow diamond with the letters 'sgte' next to it, that's an abrieviaton of 'siguiente' (next). i am unsure as to their copyright, since they site a reference at the very end of the page to the original volume.

the translation site is only of the first poem :(, but i can help anybody that needs words or phrases deciphered.

i downloaded the copy from el aleph too and i see what you mean, it seems to have been 'edited' by them. however i think the context might be similar to project gutenburg's in so much as the text was compiled from copyright free sources. they say that in their faq page:
?Por qu? ofrecen textos en forma gratuita?
Porque ofrecemos textos de dominio p?blico o de autores contempor?neos que desean difundir su obra gratuitamente. Adem?s, Internet hace posible que tampoco sean necesarios gastos de impresi?n, haciendo muy bajos los costos.

?Es legal este servicio?
Por supuesto. Cada una de las obras que ofrecemos ha sido cuidadosamente seleccionada, teniendo en cuenta la validez y vencimientos de cada uno de los correspondientes copyrights.
Hemos tomado como ejemplo el esp?ritu y la metodolog?a del Project Gutemberg, la m?s grande biblioteca digital de Internet en ingl?s.
Why do offer free texts?
Because the texts are either in the public domain, or a contemporary author wishes to donate his work freely. Additionly, the internet does not incur printing costs, making expenses very low.

Is the service legal?
Of course. Every one the works we offer has been carefully selected, keeping in mind the validity and expiration of each one's copyrights. We have followed the example of the spirit and methodology of the Gutenburg Project, the largest digital, online library in english.

that same little voice that keeps telling you to double check, had already taken residence in my head a couple of posts ago. it would be best to check with someone who has more knowledge about this! can anybody help us out?

an idea might be just to use what's available through the wiki site, but i haven't checked to see if they add that nasty little 'c' in a circle too.
Caffeinated

Post by Caffeinated »

If the luis-salas has all the poems, I think we'll be fine (they don't seem to be too careful about securing their own copyrights, like as with elaleph and editing)... only I checked again, and compared with El Aleph's, they don't seem to all be there... Is my computer doing something funny... i don't know... but this is what I get...

El Aleph has the following poems, but using links at the bottom of the luis-salas site, I only get the ones with an X next to them (And the ones missing don't seem to be indexed in the 'Menu' either (where they have the titles in alphabetical order)) ...

X Poema del Otono

- Mediodia

X Vesperal

- Cancion Otonal Aire de <<Seminole>>, de Egbert Vanalstyne

- Raza

- Cancion

- A Dona Blanca de Zelaya

X Retorna (although this one seems to be at the end, after a few poems I don't see in the El Aleph version)

X A Margarita Debayle

- En Casa del Doctor Luis H. Debayle (Toast)

- Varia Santa Elenade Montenegro

X Gaita Galaica

- A Mistral

- El clavicordio de la abuela

I emailed El Aleph yesterday, to ask for permission, so whatever they say, y'know, if 'no,' then at least we'll know their policy for sure (of course i wrote to them in English, and maybe that wasn't the greatest sell... asking to read and distribute something in a language I'm not exactly fluent in :?... but we'll see).

- Linda