COMPLETE: Ulysses by James Joyce - choco

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ulysses by James Joyce (1882-1941)

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/ulysses-version-2-by-james-joyce/

Note: This is version 2 of Ulysses for LibriVox. The first version was highly experimental; this one will be a 'straight' reading except for the "Circe" episode, which is to be recorded as a play with a full cast of characters.

One of the most important works of Modernist literature, Ulysses has been called "a demonstration and summation of the entire movement". - The book chronicles the passage of Leopold Bloom through Dublin during an ordinary day, 16 June 1904 (the day of Joyce's first date with his future wife, Nora Barnacle). The title alludes to Odysseus (latinised into Ulysses), the hero of Homer's Odyssey, and establishes a series of parallels between characters and events in Homer's poem and Joyce's novel (e.g., the correspondences between Leopold Bloom and Odysseus, Molly Bloom and Penelope, and Stephen Dedalus and Telemachus). Joyce fans worldwide now celebrate 16 June as Bloomsday. (Summary from Wikipedia)
Please note!
Obviously this is a difficult read. In this version we're striving for textual accuracy where possible, so please take some care to figure out what something means if it's not immediately clear.
-- The text contains many different languages. If you're not sure about pronunciation, please post in the Help Wanted forum.
-- Many things only make sense when one digs a little deeper into the meaning. There is a lot of help on the internet, e.g. Spark Notes for a list of characters, and episode summaries.
-- If in doubt about something, please post here.
-- Before claiming, please look at the text for the section.
-- I'm going to be quite ruthless about the deadline for submissions, so please make sure you hand in your section 2 months after the claim date, or ask for an extension.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 13 June 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    The text has been split into sections. Please click 'Link to text' in the Notes field, and only read from that text.
    (For information only: source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300)
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    (I've included intros and outros in the linked text portions)

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    ulysses_##_joyce.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. ulysses_01_joyce.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: (please copy from Magic Window, e.g. 01 - Episode 1: Telemachus, part 1)
    Artist: James Joyce
    Album: Ulysses

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ge - Gesine
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Gesine on October 14th, 2010, 7:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

OK! All set up and ready to go. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

I can't let this go ! Could I have 4-9 inc. please ? hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Splendid, thank you! :)
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

So, people in the UK can volunteer for this one or not?
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
hefyd

Post by hefyd »

So, people in the UK can volunteer for this one or not?
je pense que c'est a toi.hefyd
meum est propositum,in taberna mori
ut sint vina proxima,morientis ori
anon.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Nicholas19 wrote:So, people in the UK can volunteer for this one or not?
Legally, in the UK you are not allowed to look at the online text from which we're reading, because in your country it's still under copyright. However, if you were, say, on a business trip in the USA, you could record a section then. ;)
benvoliomontague

Post by benvoliomontague »

Please notify by private message so I receive email notification.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

benvoliomontague wrote:Please notify by private message so I receive email notification.
Welcome to LibriVox! Thanks, I've signed you up for sections 01-03. Please read the first post of this thread carefully.

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, if this is your first recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to this wiki page to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and where to upload the recording.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Who was it that said you should do something every day that scares you? Here goes! Can I have sections 62 and 63, please?
benvoliomontague

Post by benvoliomontague »

Gesine wrote:
benvoliomontague wrote:Please notify by private message so I receive email notification.
Welcome to LibriVox! Thanks, I've signed you up for sections 01-03. Please read the first post of this thread carefully.

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, if this is your first recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to this wiki page to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and where to upload the recording.
This is not my first recording, I just did a couple chapters of Tartarin of Tarascon but wasn't happy with the translation that was being used. I should be OK but I will let you check for yourself once I upload the first read. Thanks very much. You can call me Benvolio Montague or my real name is Brian but I'm sure there are many Brians kicking around the forums. I don't have a site but my youtube channel is bfleck.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Fine, thanks. I just saw that you are already listed in our catalogue database as "Brian." This is the name your sections will be credited as - you can still change it now since you don't yet have any sections done. Just let me know.

Look forward to your recordings.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Fine, thanks. I just saw that you are already listed in our catalogue database as "Brian." This is the name your sections will be credited as - you can still change it now since you don't yet have any sections done. Just let me know.

Look forward to your recordings.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

wildemoose wrote:Who was it that said you should do something every day that scares you? Here goes! Can I have sections 62 and 63, please?
So sorry, I missed this post before. Thanks; I've signed you up! :)
penboy7000

Post by penboy7000 »

Hi, I'm new to Librivox, but a huge fan of Ulysses, especially the Cyclops episode. But I don't want to bite off more than I can chew on my first time out, so could I do just the first two parts of episode 12?