COMPLETE Six Characters in Search of an Author-Pirandello-rg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Six Characters in Search of an Author (1867 - 1936) [Translated by Edward Storer] (1880 - 1944).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/six-characters-in-search-of-an-author-by-pirandello/

WARNING: Because this translation was published in America and the copyright is held by an American publishing firm, it may be read by U.S. residents, residents of Life + 50 countries, and residents of Life + 70 countries that recognize the rule of the shorter term.

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
Six Characters in Search of an Author (Sei personaggi in cerca d'autore) is the most famous and celebrated play by the Italian writer Luigi Pirandello.

Pirandello, in the preface to the play, says that whenever a reader opens Dante’s Inferno, Francesca will drift down from the dark wind in her circle of Hell and tell the Pilgrim her story; and it will always be for the first time – just as the Mother in Pirandello’s play at one point makes an agonizing cry, always for the first time.

Each character sees events and the other characters differently. Their readings of reality do not match up. No one character is more correct than the other. There are as many versions of the story as there are characters in the play. Each character is in fact many characters; each has a sense of who he or she is, but each also is what the others believe he or she is.

The play suggests that we are more victims of forces we cannot control than captains of our own fate and demonstrates Pirandello's conception that in place of a continuous ego, self or "I" are states of mind, masks or personae; the temporary result of forces brought to bear on us at that moment. The self becomes an anthology of such roles or masks. Theatricalists thought life was more like theater than vice versa. As in theater, we put on and take off masks, try out various roles, and make up our lives as we go along. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  1. Is there a deadline?

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 15 December 2010.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!):
    Act I: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckshpzm_25gh7bwfft
    Act II: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckshpzm_27fmnm3dgt
    Act III: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dckshpzm_28qwf8bhzf
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of Six Characters in Search of an Author, by Luigi Pirandello. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Six Characters in Search of an Author, by Luigi Pirandello.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 sixcharacterssearchauthor_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: rg - RuthieG
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Nullifidian on July 9th, 2011, 8:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

Here's the list of roles so far:

Narrator

The Company:
The Manager* (either)
The Prop Man (male)
The Prompter* (either)
Leading Man (male)
Door-Keeper* (either)
An Actor (either)
Leading Lady (female)
Juvenile Lead (male)
Second Lady Lead (female/non-speaking)
L'ingénue (female)
Third Actor (either)
Fourth Actor (either)
Fifth Actor (either)
Machinist* (either) (Act II)
The Manager's Secretary (either/non-speaking)

The Characters in the Play:
The Father (male) - I wish to claim this part.
The Step-Daughter (female)
The Mother (female) - RuthieG has claimed this part.
The Son (male)
The Boy (male/non-speaking)
The Child (female/non-speaking)
Madame Pace (female)

* - All these characters are described by the masculine pronoun, but could be played by either sex.

There are also sections where actors or actresses in the company are supposed to exclaim lines without them being specifically designated to a certain role. I would appreciate it if those of you in "The Company" would record these sections too, depending on your sex.
Last edited by Nullifidian on May 14th, 2010, 9:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I can do the anguish, Nullifidian. May I be Mother?

I will MC, too, if you like.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

RuthieG wrote:I can do the anguish, Nullifidian. May I be Mother?

I will MC, too, if you like.

Ruth
I would love it if you could take on both "roles", as it were. ;)

Mother is yours. (Why do I get a Norman Bates vibe from that sentence? :lol:)
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

By the way, if you'd prefer a single source, rather than three separate text files for the catalogue page, I used the book at Archive.org to prepare the text:

http://www.archive.org/details/threeplays00pirarich
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I have used the permanent archive source for cataloguing purposes.

Magic Window is up for you to fill in.
(Why do I get a Norman Bates vibe from that sentence? :lol:)
Just keep your hands off the strychnine, please. ;)

Ruth
NicolaRuth

Post by NicolaRuth »

Hi,

I would like to take on the step daughter please,

Nicola
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

NicolaRuth wrote:Hi,

I would like to take on the step daughter please,

Nicola
It's yours! :)

Better get started practicing on your derisive laughing. :lol: I don't think I've ever known a character to laugh so much in a play, or for each laugh to be so fraught with meaning. And it's not just her. There are numerous places where the actors laugh as a group.
mb

Post by mb »

May I be the Son, please?
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

mb wrote:May I be the Son, please?
Yes, you certainly may! :)

As an aside, you've been downloaded onto my MP3 player. I have The Duchess of Malfi on there and I'm listening to it currently.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I can read the Narrator if you'd like.
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

gloriana wrote:I can read the Narrator if you'd like.
Yes, thanks for your help! :)

You're on my MP3 player twice: not only in The Duchess of Malfi, but also reading The House of Mirth, which I have enjoyed very much. :)

As a note, I will say that there are a lot of stage directions, but it's not too important to read most of them. The majority are directions as to how the actors should be reading the lines, and then there are some which are intended to clarify the flow of conversation, which one hopes will be implicit from the dialogue.

I'm new-ish here, and you're obviously an old hand at doing these plays, so I leave which parts of the stage directions you want to read up to your discretion. I'm not sure if the general practice is to read them all or read only the parts that actually set the scene.

Incidentally, I should have my contribution to Love's Labour's Lost done soon. :)
Last edited by Nullifidian on May 14th, 2010, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Oooh, I see small parts :D , may I have section 10 -The Property Man please?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Nullifidian

Post by Nullifidian »

aradlaw wrote:Oooh, I see small parts :D , may I have section 10 -The Property Man please?
Yes you may. Thank you. :)

Incidentally, The Machinist may set a new standard for small parts here at LV. He or she has one line in Act II: "Yes, sir." :lol:
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

That reminds me of poor Ezwa, whose entire role consisted of "Yes, Mamma" a dozen times in Lady Windermere's Fan. She did them all beautifully! :D