COMPLETE - The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius - NF/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Stan Still

Post by Stan Still »

well, I figure the best way to jump in there is to jump in there. If no one is dying to read "truth's paradoxes" I'm going to begin the arduous process of seeing if I can get my computer to 1. record my voice (actually I know it will) but also to 2. see how clear I can get it to sound, and 3. how to get a file to convert to mp3 after recording on GarageBand.

I'll post back if I have any problems.

Stan
Stan Still

Post by Stan Still »

okay, I guess that was an easy newbie mistake, but just in case there was any confusion, that is the section I will be reading.
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

I'd like to do the following sections:

01 - Preface and Proem (minus the ancient greek and latin that precedes it ;) )

10 - Man's Covetousness

33 - Wonder and ignorance

I don't think any of these have been claimed, but if I missed it in a post just let me know :)
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Stan Still

Post by Stan Still »

Well, I began my voyage into recording yesterday, and I have to say it went pretty well- nothing that I am going to call "finished" - I was using the "on board" mic on my laptop - so I think I am gonna go pick up a headset tomorrow and try again.

It's funny, I read this in college, this particular section stood out in my mind, so I had to try reading it... What I forgot is just how convoluted the grammar gets to explain it! I'm enjoying the process though.

Also I noticed that the subject line where I posted my selection number is rather small, so in case no one noticed it, I'm working on section 38. Truth's Paradoxes.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

So sorry everyone, I missed all these last posts! Computer was broken... I usually reply every day. OK, in order of posting:

hugh mac - thanks for your message, have fun and we look forward to seeing you back in September. If this project unexpectedly fills up and is ready to catalogue before you're back, I'll try and find other readers for these sections, hope that's all right.

Stan - Thanks, you're signed up for section 38. If you're new to GarageBand, this may help - also includes a guide on how to make an mp3 file: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/GarageBand
Glad to hear you're enjoying the recording. Any questions, just post here! If I don't respond within a day, please PM me - sometimes I miss posts... Yes, headset is a great idea. Have you seen this? http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/UserRecommendedEquipment
Re the Post subjects: yes, indeed very small which is why hardly anyone uses it, and hardly anyone notices! Don't put anything important in there... :)

Maddie - Fab. I'm signing you up for 01, 10, 33. If you were keen, you could post in the Help Wanted forum to see if anyone could record the Latin and Greek for you... but up to you. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Oooh, I don't know how I kept missing this one in the books list. I can do 12, 15, and 16, just to get that section done.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Caeristhiona wrote:Oooh, I don't know how I kept missing this one in the books list. I can do 12, 15, and 16, just to get that section done.
I know just what you mean - I also seem to miss this thread all the time. I'm on the forum at least twice a day, and yet I don't see posts to this thread... anyway, thank you very much and you're signed up to 12, 15 and 16. Please let us know how you're getting on. :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Stan Still

Post by Stan Still »

Well, I just finished 38 and it was so much fun I want to sign on for 39
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Superduper, Stan! I'll sign you up for 39. Got 38, too, great thanks. Only small quibble is the filename, but I can easily change that here. :)
Stan Still

Post by Stan Still »

Cool. And I was able to record 11 minutes of speech in under 2 hours! That is like lightspeed for me!! Actually I spent probably the first hour and a half playing with the sound settings to try and eliminate the high pitch beep/buzz sound faintly present in the background... never quite got it, but I got "close enough"
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I didn't hear much of a pitch. Don't know what could cause it (maybe post in Help Wanted if you're worried). Everything will get faster with time... :)
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

My last two sections (15 and 16) have been uploaded to Gesine's uploader.

Also, I remember sending you section 08, back when I was editing the Thucydides sections, but it never got marked as done. It looks like you did receive it, but just to ease my mind could you let me know?
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Cool, I received 15 and 16, thanks a lot. Not sure what you mean about section 08, that's claimed by Anita?
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

Sorry, I meant Section 12. I'm a blonde. You'll have to excuse any lapses in coherence.

So yeah, did you get it? :wink:
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
Xander

Post by Xander »

Gesine,

I recently acquired a website and would like it in the catalogue with my name. I added it to the Wiki but wanted to let you know as I already told you my info. It is zamws.com as shown in my sig line.
-Xander

"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."

www.zamws.com