Sandra Gayer introducing herself to the Librivox community.

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello,
my name is Sandra Gayer. I'm a singer and a fulltime Braillest although I use a text-to-speech screen reader for the computer. Installing Audicity and registering for this forum took some doing but I'm here now and ready to rock. I will upload a test file as soon as I work out how to do that, using the keystrokes.

To give you a little information about me, in real life, I'm a trainee opera singer and play classical and jazz piano.

Looking forward to collaborating with some of you in the near future,
all the best,
Sandra.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Lovely to have you joining us, Sandra! I'm glad you persisted with Audacity and the forum software -- but if you do have any questions, please feel free to ask! And most of all, enjoy yourself here.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Sandra7

Post by Sandra7 »

Hello Cori, what with one thing and another, I haven't had the time. I've wasted an awful lot of that trying to creat test files and upload. I try to get the lv uploader to brows for the test_sandra.mp3 and it says file not found each time. I've worked out that you have to tell it exactly where the file is but, when I try to find it using audacity, it doesn't. I may not be able to read for you guys if it comes to it. I'd be happy to proof listen though. I would have liked to read things but I don't see it working out. Shame as it sounded quite easy and straight forward in the guides.

All the best,
Sandra.
thanks for replying so promptly. I didn't check the posts because
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi Sandra

Prooflisteners are always welcome, but since you took all that trouble installing Audacity and all I really think you should give it a try!
We're here to help, and if I cannot, somebody else will be able to.

I would suggest that once you have uploaded your test file and you can see the URL (it takes a while before appearing), you copy the link and paste it here. Don't try to open it directly, but if you paste it here we can see it too. Maybe the reason it does not work is because there is a space in your file name or something like that, which we should catch easily.
It is easy and straightforward but the first times can be a bit tricky. Don't worry, we'll help you there! (believe me, how do you think it was for me when I started? :wink: )
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I didn't realise, when I just listened to your test, that you were having to negotiate everything via keystrokes. I see that Audacity has a (rather small) section called Audacity for Blind Users. I hope this will help, but otherwise, keep asking here and we will endeavour to find the answers.

Don't give up! :D

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Chaoscollective

Post by Chaoscollective »

Sandra

I heard your test file, I was asked to identify the problem sounds because I am an electrical engineer and an audio engineer, so don't give up with a voice as nice as yours without giving us a chance to help you sort out the problems and difficulties.

I've spent the last three days writing wiki articles with Ruths help to bridge the gap between audio processing and the average person. Audacity is a neat program and can do quite a lot with minimal fuss.

There are a lot of useful tools in Audacity and it can be a little daunting, but the fact is that if you know what you're doing you only need a small handfull of those tools, and my efforts are to give you that little bit of knowledge and confidence, in a way that's easy to follow.

Not everyone has a voice that's a pleasure to listen to, that's why I don't read and contribute technical instead, but you do, so hang on, we'll get you going.

Mark