COMPLETE: At the Back of the North Wind, G.MacDonald - CL/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lyra211,

Could I claim chapters 34 & 35? I had a lot of fun with the last one.
arctura

Post by arctura »

May I do chapter 26?
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Thanks very much for your recording, Bookworm!
I love your reading -- will look forward to hearing you around LibriVox. ;-)
Please feel free to take more chapters if you like, and thanks again!
Meredith

P.S. Your Old Diamond voice is indeed fantastic -- sounds very horsey and made me laugh!
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Bookworm: 34 & 35 are yours
arctura: have fun with 26, and welcome to LibriVox!

Meredith
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

one more post from me tonight...

A note to potential readers:
Chapters 15-20 are once again up for grabs, so we're not actually fully subscribed as it appeared earlier tonight! Please feel free to claim chapters 15-20.

Meredith
arctura

Post by arctura »

Meredith--

Chapter 26 is sent in, and the link is http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=136FCCE0544BDE6A .
Will you critique it? The main two things I'm afraid of: Am I not loud enough, and am I slaughtering the placenames?

Arctura
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Arctura: I got it (thanks!) and will listen and give feedback tonight.
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Arctura, it sounds fantastic! You're definitely loud enough (as for the place names, I'm afraid I can't help you with those -- I don't actually know how to pronounce them either! Perhaps there are Brits or Anglophiles on the list who do??)
Can I ask you to make one edit on your own?
At the end of the chapter you should say: "End of Chapter 26" and leave a few seconds of silence.
One recording issue you can probably improve in the future is the presence of pops when you say plosives, like 'p' and 't'. A couple of things you can try:
1) angle the microphone so that you're not speaking directly into it, or point it sideways at your mouth, instead of having it directly in front of you
2) since it is so marvellously loud ;-) you could put the mic farther away from you and it should still be fine, and might improve the popping situation
3) if you're feeling really ambitious, you could make yourself a pop filter out of old stockings and an embroidery frame or coat hanger, and put it between your mouth and the microphone
(for example: http://www.deansabatino.com/2005/08/21/67/ )
But anyway, these are minor issues -- you're a lovely reader, with lots of emotion in your voice, which is great. I'll look forward to hearing you around, and please take more North Wind chapters if you like!
Meredith
arctura

Post by arctura »

Can I ask you to make one edit on your own?
At the end of the chapter you should say: "End of Chapter 26" and leave a few seconds of silence.
I've uploaded the new version via the "nifty uploader thing"-- has it come through?

Also if someone can tell me how the placenames are meant to be said I don't mind doing the chapter again, but I haven't been able to find much of a guide anywhere, so else I'll leave it.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Yes, it worked perfectly. Your file is received :D

And don't be afraid about the placenames. If you don't know how to pronounce a name, the best solution is simply to do it as you think it should be done. You just have to awake the impression that you know what you are doing. The listener will not know that you mispronounced them and even if he knows the place, the odds are high that he begins to doubt if he is right...

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
TheSouthernDandy

Post by TheSouthernDandy »

Sorry for the delay. I'll probably need another go to get it right, but I'd be glad to hear some feedback before I try anything else.

Chapter 36 - 15:57 - 14966 KB

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DD426E9B4DE0E97D
Matt
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

TheSouthernDandy wrote:Sorry for the delay. I'll probably need another go to get it right, but I'd be glad to hear some feedback before I try anything else.

Chapter 36 - 15:57 - 14966 KB

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=DD426E9B4DE0E97D
Hi Matt, I just had a quick listen to your chapter and I must say it sounded WONDERFULL. Love all the character voices with the different accents!

Two pointers though:
1. there is alot of staticy, background noise at the very start of the file which can easily be removed by silencing it. (it sounds as though you were fiddling with the mic to get it into the right position.

2. It requires more silence at the end of the chapter. You have about 3 seconds. Check the first post of this thread to find out how much silence you need to add. Hmm it says 3 seconds but I thought there was talk of leaving a bit more. But your coordinator can confirm this.

All in all a very pleasant recording! :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
lyra211

Post by lyra211 »

Sounds great, Matt!
(although the above comments are a couple of things to pay attention to...)
I particularly liked your accents -- they really brought the characters to life! Wish I could do convincing British accents like yours. ;-)
Thanks for the recording, and looking forward to hearing your next one.

In other news, my third and final chapter is done and uploaded. Yay!
Meredith
TheSouthernDandy

Post by TheSouthernDandy »

Thanks! I had a hard time switching between accents on the fly like that, so I'm glad you guys thought it worked okay. Hopefully it adds something for the better and makes the long dialogue easier to understand. I'll make the suggested changes to and resubmit 36 when I finish 37.
Matt
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

I'd like to do Chapter 15, the Mews, since it's a short one :)
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]