The Oscars

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

The academy awards have been given out. Are you happy with how it went? Or do you wish Avatar got more wins? Post your thoughts here.

I'll start out
Personally, I am glad that Avatar did not win best picture or best director. Just because it's the highest grossing film ever made, does not mean it's the best film ever made. It's great that the underdog (hurt locker) won. And it's great that the a woman won Best Director for the FIRST TIME EVER.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
Or perhaps you'd rather talk about music with children.
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

I would like to know why a film which has so much CGI and green-screen technology (Avatar) can win Best Cinematography!

The Daily Mash has this to say re Jeff bridges win:

"Elsewhere Jeff Bridges finally became the first Jeff Bridges to win Best Actor for his 18th portrayal of a very slightly different version of himself."

Roger Ebert twittered: "The dude aboded!"
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Chrisczech wrote:I would like to know why a film which has so much CGI and green-screen technology (Avatar) can win Best Cinematography!
Tis true. It had some pretty good shots, and since it was technically live action, it could win that award.
Patrick

Enjoy Tom Swift? Perhaps you would enjoy a book about him meeting up with some Diamond Makers
LibriFoxy

Post by LibriFoxy »

My thoughts:

~SO glad The Young Victoria won an Oscar, but that was the most arrogant speech (from the costume designer) I've EVER heard! I'd smack that b**** upside her overpriced "haid" with the award if I could, hehe. "Well, I already have two of these at home....but thanks anyway."

~Agree that Avatar was an impressive feat but relieved it didn't win Best Picture

~I hadn't realized how typecast Jeff Bridges has been for his ENTIRE career! haha!

~Kate Winslet was wearing a tin can

~I LOVE criticizing people I don't know :D However, in my defense, that is part of their job and they put an enormous amount of work presenting themselves to "be seen", so I have no qualms

~I saw all the live-action shorts and thought Miracle Fish should have won by far :( :( :(
Rosie in Boston

Coffee Break Collection 12 is up and looking for readers! Theme: The Performing Arts!
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

I liked Kate's dress, very classy. Hated that getup SJP was wearing -- would have looked better on a taller woman. Why was Streep wearing her bathrobe from the hotel? Martin and Baldwin were hilarious all the way through, but I would have rather had all the nominated songs performed instead of those dumb musical numbers from NPH and the dance troupe. Highest points awards wise were my girl Kathryn winning best director and the flick best film, but I'm cool with Sandy B's award, especially since she was such a good sport about the Razzie she won the night before. :lol:
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

I was quite surprised to read that Sandy Powell won an Oscar.
Can you hear me mother?
(sigh) Not that anyone else here will have a clue what I'm on about though. :roll:
Regards
Andy Minter
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

ExEmGe wrote: (sigh) Not that anyone else here will have a clue what I'm on about though. :roll:
I know what your talking about :thumbs: well not the mother part, but the rest of it! :wink:
Patrick

Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

ExEmGe wrote:I was quite surprised to read that Sandy Powell won an Oscar.
Can you hear me mother?
(sigh) Not that anyone else here will have a clue what I'm on about though. :roll:
(Un)fortunately, I am old enough to know exacrtly what you are on about.
My first thought when I heard was just the same! :D
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
prwells32

Post by prwells32 »

Ha, now I get it. (had to look it up though, it was definitely before MY time) :lol:
Patrick

Claire

Post by Claire »

Very happy about the wins for The Hurt Locker and Kathryn Bigelow. :D

I haven't seen some of the other films yet so I can't comment on Sandra Bullock's performance, etc. I do think she has been underrated at times. For example, I thought she was very good as Harper Lee in Infamous. She's mostly known for comedy but she can pull off a drama.