Recording - the Zoom H2

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I've just bought a Zoom H2. Haven't started using it for Librivox yet, as I'm on my second reading of the manual. However, I thought a thread similar to that for the Boss might be helpful .. at least to me.

Does anyone using the H2 use the compressor function (or any of the related functions) when they are recording?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Peter,

I love my Zoom H2.

I don't use any of its built-in features. I don't even have it record in "mono" because you still end up with two tracks which have to be converted to REAL mono in post-production.

I use my audio software to do a little 10-band EQ and compression and just a dash of noise-cleaning, usually. It probably doesn't even need the noise-cleaning.

Have fun!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

I don't own the H2, but my recording set-up allows me to do compression as I record. If it is a good implementation, then I'd suggest you use it, as it will allow you to record at higher levels without clipping inadvertently, were you to become exuberant, for example.

I say "if" because some built-in compression hardware/algorithms/whatever can be applied a little harshly, which makes their operation audible. Not what you want.

I'd recommend a test. Set up to record as normal, record with some LOUD peaks, or a SHOUTY character

Then record the same passage as nearly identically as you can with the same setup, except this time turn on compression.

Finally, after looking at the first two waveforms, set up again with compression, but increase the levels to compensate for the natural loss of volume that uncompensated compression gives you. Happy to explain further if this step doesn't make sense.

Finally, decide which method gives you the best results. It ought to be the last one, as your signal-to-noise will be best, and the loudest peaks will be tamed.

Hope this helps.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thank you both; I'll start recording with it .. and running tests .. this weekend.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am frequently too exuberant. I wish I could be compressed... :lol:
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I use only the basic settings on my H2. I have the mic gain at medium and record in stereo. My recording level is at 126 (whatever that means). I have the mic about 2 to 3 inches from my mouth and have great results.

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

RuthieG wrote:I am frequently too exuberant. I wish I could be compressed... :lol:
Time for a group hug? Image
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

Love my Zoom H2. I record in two track mono wav files from the front position microphone setting with a cave of towels and blankets surrounding it on five sides. I put the mike gain on HI and try to be within a few inches of it at all times. It will pick up noise from behind you and from inside you at that setting. Then I might use audacity's noise reduction filters at the default settings after measuring a few seconds of me not making any noise. I also bought an 8 GB HDSD card for it, and can record about 6 hours with the ac adapter, though a file that long would be a bear to edit. I seem to only use FOLDER 1 on the device and have not had a reason to use the other folders yet. After recording is finished, I'll shut the unit down, and walk it over to the computer room and use it as a storage device to move the files off of it and onto my computer for editing. No AC power is needed then, since it draws from the computer via the USB cable. The batteries do a good job of keeping the menu settings where I like them, and refreshing the HDSD card's memory if I do leave a file on it for a month or so. All in all, it is my favorite recording device. :wink: