Spotlight on cloudmountain!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

This is David speaking. I don't normally venture on stage to introduce the interview/ee, but can't resist it this time. I remember my second or third PM to Alan when he first joined LV. He was proposing his first solo project, and I said something like: "I could do [whatever it was] for you, but you're clearly a bright enough chap, so I'll just let you get on with it." Never a truer word. With great pleasure, therefore, I peresent Alan aka cloudmountain.

Tell me about your family ? spouse, girl or boy friend, children, grandchildren....

High my name is CloudMountain (Kumoyama) and I?ve been going by this name since about 1973, around the same time Vinton Cerf and Bob Kahn were creating protocols that would eventually allow successful communication and interconnectiveness between diverse computer networks ?sorta the pre-birth of the Internet. And so it isn?t JUST my username.

Gee. My family, spouses(s), kiddies, friends, grandchildren, great grandchildren... Starting out on a most personal, even private note is daunting, worrisome, and I?ll have to consider carefully how I answer. Will an innocent answer unwittingly undermine the witness protection system? What if my 88 year old father and mother are revealed and tomorrow find themselves the captives of terrorists disguised as Publisher Clearing House reps claiming that my folks have won a lifetime subscription to Spotlight Magazine? Perhaps more importantly, why have you left my most valued family members out of the question: my pets. Let me start with them, as they can protect themselves against predators. Xiao Gonxu (Chinese for Little Princess) is a beautiful Chow Chow who like myself is not representative of her breed. At 10 she?s still the most loveable, pleasant, delightful companion you?d ever wish to meet or live with although she is now beginning to seriously suffer from doggie arthritis. She?s a small teddy bear of a dog ?a beautiful fluffy tan/red. Kids, adults and USPS people all love her. Her sister of far different parentage is Ruah (Hebrew for spirit or wind), now 3 1/2. She is a psychiatric service dog, a dynamo of empathy. All of her grandparents were born and still live in Germany, so she does not look the typical German Shepard of sloping back legs we are all so familiar with here in the States. She is of superior intelligenence with a limbic system in overdrive but as her conversations are Hegelian in nature, I avoid conversing with her beyond mutual barking. She did one day tell me (in Urdu) that she couldn?t talk right now because she was waiting for Godot. I didn?t have the heart to tell her that Beckett was Joyce?s assistant and not vice versa. I also have two cats: Freya and Nelly (Cornelian), a chocolate Burmese and a silver Somalian respectively.

Have one father, one mother, three sisters, one brother, 13 nieces and nephews, and maybe an equal number of grandnieces and nephews. All are living happily. I have no cousins. (Never did; odd, isn?t it?) I have an ex-wife with whom I continue to have an excellent relationship, particularly as we have three smart and well-adjusted children, two of whom graduated college this June. I was also happy to see unexpectedly this evening, my younger daughter?s name appear on a posting for the upcoming Short Poetry Collection 010. It had to be her, as I?ve not heard of anyone with a similar name. I?m very proud of her (not that I?m not very proud of my other two kiddies), to see her here and to also to know that she?s pursuing the same career path as did both her mom and I.

My partner of seven years has gained this summer an official husband. We decided to marry recently in a non-civil yet religious ceremony, realizing that we and everyone else has considered us married for years. (Rumors of triangulating hoards... I?ll help those guys, just a bit, by saying that as I say this (oops, type this) my son is taking part in a UCLA program in South Korea. I have to remember to pick him up at the airport next Tuesday evening, when he returns. Wait a sec, I better put that on my Palm. <deep rumbling sounds of a Palm Pilot booting> <cough - cough>)

What part of the world do you come from? Live now?

I was born and raised (until 16) in New York City. My vocal tones continue to reflect those early beginnings, but I am neither proud nor ashamed of them. Some people never notice, while others make comments after my first three words. Leaving The City (yes, two capital letters, not simply one) at 16 probably had more of a positive effect on me than any single life event. My family moved far enough upstate and across The River (two caps again for The Hudson) to give me a wider breadth of life experience, for which I am forever grateful. For several years I traveled up and across and back and through the country until 30 years ago I found myself at work in the family business here in NJ. I?ve been a reluctant resident ever since. (Alas now happily out of the business for 13+ years. I live now two blocks (as we called then in NY) from the ocean. (For those geographically challenged, it?s the Atlantic.) (Are the predators continuing to triangulate?)

How did you find out about Librivox?

I?ve been reading books offered at Gutenberg.org for years now, (in print and on my Palm) and when I approached them, offering to volunteer my reading services, they recommended LibriVox Dot Org. Now I only go to Gutenboig to verify public domain status or to look for one more project to do that I certainly won?t have time for...

What do you do here, i.e., read, proof listen, coordinate? and why?

Read, proof listen, participating in disseminating partially truthful information in forums, proof listening, and I?m signed up to coordinate a poem of the week in August. I want to start doing more proof reading because that?s a good way to read more of the great stuff people can find here. I?m also helping to tweak sound files for the First Anniversary Project and will be sewing all of the pieces together once the 73,841 individual sound files have been produced and multi-tracked. Then I?ll combine them into one, trying to make sure the sound levels for all 3,788 voices are relatively even. (C.f., the question ?Which project has driven you the craziest so far??) And I haven?t even really begun working on it. So, throw the wrench at me if you find problems with that project and not the two ladies who?ve been working day and night to advertise, solicit, remind, re-remind, collect, choose, edit, extraneous sound repress, assemble, convert and start all over again. I?ll only work on it 5-10 crucial mins. It?s a dirty job, but someone?s got to mess it up. (CloudMountain's LibriVox Wiki Page)

Now, on the ?Why?? side of ?What do you do here?? I?ll answer as I always do for questions like this, ?Because it?s here.? I learned the importance of volunteering from my father (who you?ll remember is 88 ). No matter how busy he was, he always made time to help the community or assist fraternal and church organizations. For more than 25 years I served on the board of directors of the Easter Island Foundation. (Now there?s a wild and crazy place, right? Actually no. We know far more about it than most people like to believe. There are an awful lot of myths and falsehoods that have build up about the place the locals call ?the navel of the world.? It attracts a lunatic fringe. For many years a third world country in a third world country. But enough... you can ask me about it some day. I have a lot of those stories, like the time I spent a week with Thor Heyerdahl...)

But for the past year or so I?ve been shifting my life?s focus and as things turn it?s possible my association with LV will be a long one; we?ll see. The reasons for that will not doubt be revealed when we get to another of David?s ever evolving questions. David, by the way, to those who don?t know, is the current InterviwER. You see, he makes a list of 750 questions and asks you to answer as many of them as make you feel comfortable. And even though he does have this strange accent and injects unnecessary, florid u?s into simple words like ?honor? and ?color,? he is a great volunteer ?very helpful to all AND very personable. Seek him out. He doesn?t really get the credit he deserves as ?Interviewer? because he?s never really present during the interview. I?ve heard rumors that he doesn?t really live in England, but instead runs a small bagel shop in Astoria, Queens and has a hairless llama named Cherisse. Can we have a round of applause for David, please? <sounds of hesitant intermittent clapping and a muffled snort>

Have you had any previous experience in this area? i.e. theatre, radio, podcast?

I?ve never podcast because I?ve felt I?d have to do it regularly and just couldn?t fit it in. The rest of this question is answered in the ?funny childhood? section.

Anything funny from childhood? - First tape recorder? Playing DJ with your friends?

I rarely played anything with friends as a child. Deeply inquisitive, I would dig into things all too thoroughly and eventually find that everyone had left the room or the lakeside or the lot outside the chicken slaughterhouse where he hung out. Not that I ignored these friends, I just couldn?t engage them in my interests for very long. ?Look at this, look at that!? didn?t go far when a stickball game broke out in the middle of the street in front on the row houses we lived in. I usually played centerfield because by the time I got outside, every other position was taken. But that was okay because no one was better than Mickey Charles Mantle. Anyway, somewhere between the Ebbets Field, the Museum of Natural History, and Yankee Stadium, my parents gave me a very small portable reel-to-reel tape recorder. I had forgotten about that until just now. This was in my early teens. It was in a way a very early cassette tape recorder, except there was no plastic case around the tape. I would dangle the small mike over the speaker of our TV and record comedy routines by Bill Cosby, Shelly Berman, Jonathan Winters, Dick Gregory, Mort Sahl, and a long string of other comedians plus Sid Cesar, Steve Allen and his large wonderful crew and, yes, conversations between Jack Parr and Oscar Levant and the like... Then I would transcribe them and through the delighted clumsiness of adolescent mimicry, I would perform little stand-up routines at basketball half-times. I did church group variety shows, high school plays, college theatre (Creon in Antigone) and continued do the same right up until just a few years ago. Family responsibilities prevented me from following this route professionally, but in community theater and such I?ve done a lot of shows, plus loads of smaller venues as a performance poet ?my work and others. And I?ve done lots and lots of Children?s Theatre. (I love getting into the audience with the kids and improvising with them. There?s a place where you can break that fourth wall, but still remain in character. Kids love it.) Over the past 15 years some of my favorite performances were as El Gallo, Don Quixote, Lazer Wolf, Charlemagne (in Pippin), and especially Daddy Warbucks, which I?ve done twice. Audiences have ranged from 100 to 4,000, so I?ve had a great variety of wonderful experiences in small and large productions and met hundreds of warm people. (This was supposed to be about my childhood, right?) Well, I?ve never stopped being a kid, as several people have pointed out, particularly the very kind people in LV?s Forum who nudge me off the stage (oops! off the topic threads) for causing pandemonium. Well that?s really not true, you know, these are the friendliest threads I?ve spent time on in many years. People are ever helpful with detailed info, experiences and encouragement. Nothing to be afraid of, and certainly something to embrace. (Okay, it?s not THAT touchy-feely.)

Is there a particular LibriVox book which you like the best because of the quality, the overall effort involved, its popularity, or for some other reason?

Who listens to recordings when you?re having fun making them! Just kidding. You can get a lot of enjoyment listen to the wide variety of types of recordings and readers. So much more interesting than the predicable world of commercial audio books. I can?t wait to get back to commuting in the Fall, so I can have the time to listen to them at length.

Of the projects you have worked on, which did you like most?

My long love Ulysses. I am still working on my Section 17. Dry and drab. Aristotelian. Matter-of-fact scientific. Hillariously irreverent. Doggedly obsessive. Often lyric.

Which drove you crazy?

I alluded to this earlier.

What type of literature do you prefer to read/help with?

I can?t say... Since the summer of my Jr. year in high school I sorta made a silent vow not to read a book with fewer than 1,000 pages. Now that may appear as adolescent braggadocio (or adult pride), but there?s something to it. I think it has to do with depth. It takes some time to get into the depth of things. Many people read (remember when reading was reading, not "reading"?) to just relax, to get away from things. I can understand that, which is my I like to watch Lost, Survivor, Apprentice, As Time Goes By, Keeping Up Appearances, and Deadwood, and alas no longer with us West Wing. (I should say I?ve never actually watched more than a show or two of any of this on TV. I rent the videos (locally and Netflix) so I can watch ?em 1-2-3). But maybe because my professional job description includes the words ?teaches literature? the question has a slightly different turn for me. Which is to say, reading literature and helping to communicate its cross cultural and cross generational significance is what I do all day. It?s what I do even when I?m not ?officially? doing it.

Who is/are your Favorite author(s)?

A. S. Byatt. Jimmy Joyce. Paul Auster. Thomas Mann. Hermann Melvile. Li Po. Layman P?ang. Albert Camus. Wang Wei. Saigo. Ananda, scribe of Gautama Shakyamuni. Lao Tse. Chuang Tse Lao. Leo Tolstoy. Alexandr Solzenitzen (his early stuff). Eihei Dogen. The authors of the Yijing. Lots of Chinese and Japanese poets. And an interminably list of others. I am a Platinum member at Audible.com and have 24 opportunities a year to sift through lots of thing sufficiently marketable to find big publishers. One of my dearest writers (Dylan Thomas ?who BTW will not enter the public domain until I am well and long gone) said it best: ?I love good poetry, but the trouble is, I have to read through a lot of shit to get to the good stuff.?

(Note: I AM recording Dylan Thomas? definitive Collect Poems and select stories, AND a large selection of E. E. Cumming?s work among others, and they will be formatted in various archival media, so that once these folks [or their work, whichever is first] DO enter the public domain, I?ll be on queue as the first to release them posthumously (or is that posthumorously*) on LibriVox.org. Don?t worry, it?s already been written into my will. Sign sealed and not yet delivered. It?s legal because it?s in my private collection. Please don?t ask for a sample until... well, who knows.)

* David may correct me: posthumourously.

What do you do for fun, i.e., hobbies, reading, knitting?

I?ve never had a hobby. Just what is a hobby? Is it something you have to join a club to do? Can you do it by candle light when there?s a blackout because too many other people have hobbies that sucked the power out of the trans-American power grid? Is it something that requires a label because you?re having too much fun to even realize you ARE doing it? Is it something the requires...

Favorite website/ personal site?

Personal? Right. Now we?re talking areas that lose me friends & associates. With the exceptions of: LibriVox.org. Alternet.com. Onion.com. NYTimes.com. Apple.com/trailers. Hoax & Mythbuster sites, News.bbc.co.uk. Abe.com. Audible.com. Imagestation.com, Ask.com (I miss Teoma!) oed.com. And of course banking online. And email (plenty of those websites; I currently have 24+ email addresses at every free website that offers one. That makes several thousand total. I set up a spreadsheet to track my address. This past June 29th the Guinness people called me for an interview, because I broke the world record by 101 email addresses. (They make a passable stout.) I especially like to use other sites as proof of a legit web address, as sometimes required. I also have at least 2 email address on every Yahoo! country web mail. In some cases it was very difficult to do, because Yahoo! requires a postal code from that country to verify that you are really in that country. You can learn a lot doing all kinds of things looking through postal codes and the like. You can also learn to count up to one decimal place in a language that way.. Oh, and Paintedricecakes.org, formerly cloudmountain.info, formerly cloud-mountain.com, formerly P.O. Box 251, New Paltz, NY (there were ZIP codes in those days.)

In an average week, how many hours do you spend in LibriVox recording / forums / etc. (what does LibriVox "etc" mean to you?)

I visit the Forum twice or once a day. (Okay, four or five, sometimes 9 or 10 ?now that I have the luxury of a summer off from school.) It is in a way my way of relaxing, browsing, schmoozing, socializing. But there are serious sides to it. Once someone had a question and I knew the answer. (Wouldn?t you know that the prolific [and terribly long-winded] a.r.d. corrected me 13 seconds after my posting.) Recently I?m spending about an hour a day recording, other 2 editing (My recording to editing/listening ratio is about 1:5-6.)

In an average week, how many hours do you spend outside? You know, outside in the fresh (or otherwise) air.

I try to take a walk to the beach every day, sometimes alone and sometimes with my doggies. (The cats hate leashes.) When I do go, I most always walk down to the water?s edge to work through my I Chuan practice (something like Qigong or Tai Chi Chuan.) When I was younger I did a lot of hiking in mountains and forests. I now have arthritis in my knees and that limits my get-abouts. Not supposed to pound those knees and heels anymore.

What is your recording and editing set up and do you routinely do anything to "sweeten" your audio?

When recording I run my condenser mike directly through a professional dbx ddp (digital processor) that does a number of things before the sound gets into a Tascam US-122 usb audio interface and into the computer. To get technical, the programmed DDP routine I use provides light compression, a de-esser, EQ tweaking, a gate, and a limiter. So it goes through all of that and more before it gets into the computer. Actually, the AKG condenser mike first goes into a Mackie CFX12 mixer, which acts as a preamp with some effects. The dbx ddp is set up as a side change to it, together with a Sony DPS-V55 multi effects process and an Alesis MidiVerb4 Dual Channel Parallel Processor to add subtle effects, mostly unnoticed when you listen to any recording I do.

If you had three clones of independent means, where would they be and what would they be doing?

One would be in Japan, one in Europe and one in India/Nepal/Tibet/China. They'd be thoroughly following through on the suggestion that the Delphi oracles had engraved over the entrance of their door: "Gnothi Sauton" or "Know Theyself."

What do you do in "real life"?

Funny that this question is tucked way down here, as ostensibly it should be in the top three. As my LV profile euphemistically announces, I?m a literacy facilitator. Which is to say I am a High School English teacher. Officially this might be considered a career shift, as I was in business for most of my adult life, but I did first start out doing this upon graduation from college. And one might say (and some do) that I have been in teacher mode most of my life, as I have focused on communication, inspiring people to open and be curious and explore things on their own. Again, working with the clarity of detail is important. At the Easter Island Foundation I was director of publications and I published or was involved with literary magazines all along.

What was your first recording for LibriVox?

?Dover Beach,? by Matt Arnold in Short Poetry Collection 009.

Why did you choose that piece?

I took it as a challenge, particularly as it was a poem I almost purposefully avoided it for many years. I like the carpe deim quality to it, similar to this week's poem of the week, "To His Coy Mistress." In the same collection and as a counter point to the Arnold piece, I read E. E. Cumming?s ?nobody looses all the time.? (Another "sieze the day" piece, to an extreme.) Here?s a poem that has been a part of my performance repertoire for years, but I wanted to approach it differently here. When I say I read it, I actually forced myself to do just that, even though it has been in memory for who knows how long. The best way to do that, for me at least, is to go thoroughly out on a limb and create a character. Sometimes such a person speaks in a different tongue or has an accent, whatever. Her/his life pose is different than mt personal process. Often I do this by creating the mind of the poet, but for poems now in the public domain, they were of a time before "confessional" poetry of the mid/late 20th Century. What they were writing was not necessarily of their own life, but an exploration of others' lives. They were mini novelists of sort, creating believable fictions. Often poetry written today, lets it all hang out. Thank psychoanalysis and the two World Wars for that release of inwardness and...

I had an interesting experience a few years back in school. I was telling my students that in public school in NYC, even into the 50?s and early 60?s, students were required to memorize quite a number of poems or speeches from Shakespeare. To the person, they thought it was stupid. I suggested they could easily do it. They remember the lyrics to loads of songs, didn?t they? They knew hymns and such, no? I gave this public speaking class an exercise in which they were given two weeks to memorize 20 lines from any poem of their choosing. Just 20. After a week went by many students said it was too difficult, so I gave in a little and made it 10 lines. The assignment date came and student after student (20+), one after the other READ her/his poem. And one after the other each student said they couldn?t do it and so felt better reading it. (Most I?m sure didn?t even try, but some I feel certain at least did make an attempt.) After but a few made their half-hearted attempts, I was visibly getting annoyed, which they like because it diverts attention from them not having completed the assignment. I said something altogether un-teacherly, like ?How could you not do something that?s really so simple.? Arguments ensued until they began daring me to do the same. They began saying that they shouldn?t be asked to do what I myself clearly could no longer do. (I am of course now an old man to them.) I took the dare and gave them the rest of the period to find ANY poem in the room which I would recite it in front of them in two weeks. Two weeks wasn?t good enough for them. Nor was one, it turned out. I was to have the poem done in class for tomorrow. They searched and searched the many, many books in the room while two students went to the library. Those two students came back with a volume of poems by the Welsh poet Dylan Thomas. The poem selected: ?Fern Hill.? Total length: 6 stanzas, nine lines each. 4 lines short of three times the length required of them. They spent the rest of the period laughing. That was fine with me, for when we returned to class the next day, the minute the bell rang I handed the book to the most outspoken student and asked if he wouldn?t mind being my witness. Need I finish the story? I can say that the performance was legendary: ?Aren?t you the teacher who...?

Have you tried adding background sound to any recordings?

I added a noise-maker to my psudo-rap version of "The Flag Goes By". (My daughter says I sound like a bad imitation of Warren Beatty?s pathetic rap imitation in ?Bulworth.?) There are continual discussions here on doing this sort of thing. Some people have complained about my recordings, say that I add lots of background noises to my recordings, including street sounds, train whistles, birds chirping, garbage trucks emptying dumpsters, dogs barking, cats meowing, horns blowing, lightning crashing, fans blowing, flies buzzing, ants sneezing, radios blaring, and the like. Truthfully, I sometimes record with all of my widows open. (It?s been a very hot summer and my bedroom/recording studio after an hour with the windows closed gets upwards of 100 Fahrenheit. I live in one of the largest cities along the Jersey Coast, certainly the largest in our county. Our city is 35,000+ people. That?s a lot of noise). To close this topic, watch out, I plan to add more noise in future as appropriate.

Did you have any Singular events with literature while growing up?

For my final project in English Lit. in high school, I wrote a piece for orchestra titled ?Beowulf.?

What music do you like?

Jazz, particularly cool jazz. (Bill Evans, piano, for example is the king of kings.) I happen to be lucky living in the NY metro area because we have the greatest jazz station in the world: WBGO, out of Newark, NJ. You can listen to it streamed at http://wbgo.org/listennow/.

What makes you tick? Or, in a nutshell, what is your philosophy?

This is not an easy one. I over explain to begin with and grabbing this hot potato and going down the path with it would bring us circuitously to just about everything I?ve experienced. Nutshell? I?ve been a formal student practitioner of Zen for 35 years plus it was beginning to make sense to me since I was in high school, when I only knew it from reading. Now at 61 some of it is beginning to make sense. As a ?teacher? of literature, I understand that the ancient, archetypical stories carried through history by the founders of Zen, Taoism, and Buddhism are as true today as they were in the times they occurred and were recorded. I?m not selling anything here, I?m speaking of experience. So, in a nutshell, I try to communicate the sense of my own experience as it may or may not be significant to others.

What helped you personally to get through "what-if-I-suck" stage?

I think I experienced my last ?what-if-I?m stuck? stage so many years ago that I have no recollection of it. Memory tells me that no matter, it?ll all work out. I guess you might say I?m on automatic. I prepare. I show up. I talk, and it all works out in the end. I can say that I was a little challenged in the beginning because I?ve been accustomed to working with a crew: producer, engineer and sometimes writer as well. Often one person held all of those rolls. Even when I worked alone, the working recordings or finished products were/was always scrutinized by a number of people. Sometimes there was a hierarchy of concerned parties. Either way, comments, suggestions, changes, reversals, rewrites, re-interpretations, cuts, etc., etc., were a way of life. Projects could take months --years. Here at LV YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN! Yes, So, now that I think of it, my personal ?stage-of-suckness? was more a period of getting adjusted to a whole new way of looking at/doing at things.

Any rituals you do before recording?

I have a long list of rituals, which developed practically over time. Before recording I always pat myself under the chin 7 times, bark four times like a Solomon Island parrot, and after this I feel I can then safely flip the switch on my condenser mike, roll my eyes three times left, then four right, flap my arms like Tiny Tim did in A Christmas Carol, make a concerted effort not to correctly enunciate ?I am Captain Jean-Luk Picard,? walk over to the freezer, open the door and hold my breath so as not to breathe in the cold air, shut the freezer door, walk over to the photo on the wall of a picture of Abraham Lincoln in a diaper and ask him permission to begin, if he answers me I consider canceling the recording for the day (which I never do), if he ignores me, I continue walking back to my mike while extricating the photo of the Marx Brothers I keep secreted in my left sock and place it in my microwave which sits over the piano (it?s not plugged in), then I do two things that I don?t feel comfortable mentioning here, and then I go straight to my recording set-up to spot and check that everything and every setting matches with the list of settings I set during the last time I used and set and had the settings set, and once those are all okay, I straighten the pile of papers I?m going to be reading from, making certain that my dogs or cats haven?t tried to shred them (they like coming up with unique ways to write spontaneous concrete poetry.) If I forgot to do any of the above that?s fine, because to not complete the rituals successfully can make (or not make) the recording just as successful than if I hadn?t attempted them at all.

Have you seen Eugene? Where have you met him? Can you describe him? Some rumours go he looks like sasquatch. (This one from Stephan!)

First: Eugene would have to be Sasquatch or a sasquatch, (C.f., what do you do for a living?)

Secondly: I know it to be a fact ?after all I read it in a LV Sticky, which only intelligent, well mannered and well appointed people can create.

Thirdly: Eugene is really Stephen, but Stephen doesn?t want us to know. (C.r. page 742 of JJ?s Ulysses).

Fourthly: The way to a man?s heart is through his stomach/and/or his LV user name.

Fifthly: Don?t cross your bridges before they hatch.

Sixthly: (This, thank goodness, is truly the final reason.) It?s a little know fact that Abraham Lincoln was born in a log cabin that he helped his father build.

What's one single instance of your vision of utopia? (More are welcome!!)

I?m not sure I understand this question.

That's OK. I think it was one of Anita's. :D

Name one pious pleasure of yours. (e.g., I floss daily)

I have no piety. The sacred and the profane are interchangable and sometimes even wear the same face..

Name one "guilty" pleasure of yours. (e.g., afterward I chew caramel)

I stay up ever night until I fall asleep sitting up.

If you were interviewing yourself for an exclusive magazine called The Full Scoop, what question would you ask?

Why did you tell Tibby Ludden she was a toad?

Do you have anything to say to the masochistic folks who read their way down here, to the last question?

Yes. Now that I?ve completely opened my life to you, bared my hypothetical soul, gave you detailed information never before heard by either my shrink or the Rabbi I occasionally meet at the gas station while our tanks are getting filed, I ask you all to please, now, send me your emails. Tell me about yourselves as well. Open yourselves up. Let it all hang out. Please refer to the questions above when responding.

Do you ever feel you?re the target of nefarious persons, including terrorists, embezzlers, predators and infomercial enthusiasts?

With the aid of a magic code ring and a copy of the DaVinci Code, I?m sure someone(s) out there is/are assiduously analyzing this interview and at this very moment triangulating my, home, workplace, and the local bocce court after which they will becontacting me by the weekend. He might even be wearing a LibriVox t-shirt and be carrying a LV mug filled to the brim with soy latt?. Maybe I should close by giving my address, phone number, SS#, and both my mother?s maiden name and the name of my first pet.

Any final words?

No thank you.
-----------------------

All Spotlight interviews can be found here:-
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/SpotlightOn
Last edited by earthcalling on July 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Rolling on floor laughing my head off :lol: :lol:
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

Heee hee. I love it. Now it looks like Anita and I aren't the only rambling/"long-winded" folks here :D

BTW, I love "Keeping up Apperances" too. Seriously, can it get any better than "the Bucket woman?"
(I Generally love other British shows too, especially and including AbFab and "Are you being served?")

OMG...I have to finish this abruptly. I just saw one of my cats with her face completely covered in cobwebs. Don't even know what dark corner she just crawled out of! Freaky cat.

But I had to say, good (thorough ;) ) interview, and "I'll be expecting you at one of my candlelight suppers!" :wink:
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Excellent, David and Alan. We were highly entertained and amazed. Thank you.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Huzzah, wonderful interview! Thank you so very much. :lol:

-Catharine
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Anyone up to being the interviewer for Next Sat?
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Yeah yeah, I've got one lined up.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

earthcalling wrote:Yeah yeah, I've got one lined up.
Wow you are on a roll! I was going to say, if no one stepped up I would do it but hey.............. :)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Phenominominal!!
Everyone is so stunned, we're forgetting to ask you follow up questions here!

I'll try to revive my unclear question from above. Prelude: It is a plan of my fantasy self to retire later to the hills of West Virginia (and of other places) and write utopian novels as my bones wrinkle. :D When it's too tough to fox trot, I want to spend my thoughts on imaginable possibilities in the nature of things. [In this way I clarify my question. :roll: ]

When you picture the world working a little differently than now (if you do), what's something in that picture? -- any little thing.

thanks thanks thanks for a wonderful interview!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I have a follow-up question too:-

You're clearly a lover (and very knowledgeable) of things oriental. Did anything in particular spark that off? Have you studied Japanese and Chinese? Will you be reading for 300 Tang Poems?

Also, I wanted to say that I particularly liked your classroom story. There's something wonderful about the physicality of reading aloud, and also the act of memory. Both bring us into direct contact with the work, as participants rather than as mere observers. It's one of the reasons I love LV.

David
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

best interview ever, simple as that!
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
kri

Post by kri »

cloudmountain wrote:...I occasionally meet at the gas station while our tanks are getting filed...
Is this some alternative to gas I haven't heard about?

(Edit, thanks anita for the quote correction)
Last edited by kri on July 29th, 2006, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

That would be cloudmountain being quoted. Filed is what happens when you drop an el. Like the difference between style and stye (something that's been on my mind lately). I guess. Yes?
kri

Post by kri »

a.r.dobbs wrote:That would be cloudmountain being quoted. Filed is what happens when you drop an el. Like the difference between style and stye (something that's been on my mind lately). I guess. Yes?
I know I know :)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

OY :oops:
yes, file your tank, cut down on gas consumption