Music to cry for

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

I've had the strongest response to this astonishing music and must say it.

"Romeo's Seance"
in The Juliet Letters
by Elvis Costello and The Brodsky Quartet

oh
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Aaah. I love that whole CD. Lost it somewhere. Perhaps it'll appear again after The Move.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Music that makes me want to f l y

Lord some life let me be a dancer and fling myself into this!

String Quartet #5 (5th track)
of Kronos Quartet
performs Philip Glass

heavens
Anita
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Philip Glass!! I'm currently rehearsing a one act play based on his music; Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread by David Ives. Definitely interesting.

As for his music, I really like the first couple of tracks off Glass Reflections ('cept I left the cd at work, so I can't tell you what they're called).
Karen S.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

We obviously have some minimalist fans.

Long years ago, someone at a Liberal Studies course played a minimalist piece that consisted, as far as I can remember it, of a number of overlaid series of clicks that, because of their varied rhythms, interacted in odd ways to sound like voices saying phrases and words .. a sort of audible Rorschach's test. I was given a copy of it at the time, but have lost the tape and details since then. Any suggestions?

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Wow, numerical event right here in this thread!
Peter and I have both posted 938 posts at this moment, well, until I post this one. Here's the copy-pasted proof:

Peter Why

a.r.dobbs

Peter, my one and only thought in such perplexity is google every which way -- cicks, audible Rorschach's test, etc.

As for Glass's String Quartet No. 5 part 5, it certainly doesn't feel minimalist to me! I'm thinking I'll try to make a little 7-second snippet for here. That's typically the legal limit on copyright material, and I really want to share a moment from each of these searing, soring pieces of music. wow

but I need a cup of tea first whew
A

Peter! We have to high-five or something over our momentary twinship of posts. :D
Anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes, the String Quartet is good. But I especially love Glass's Sanskrit opera, Satyagraha: http://www.philipglass.com/html/compositions/satyagraha.html
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

What do you think of Glass's Akhnaten? another opera (I don't know it -- comes recommended to me)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I've listened to the first disk of Akhnaten and did enjoy it.

When I got cast in this play I went to our music librarian and explained what I was doing and that I needed a few samples of Philip Glass' music to get an idea what the play was based on. He sent me off with ten disc sets! So I've been sort of flitting from one disc to the next, not always making it through the entire thing. And in case anyone's interested, I think the play is meant to sound most like parts of Einstein on the Beach).

Today I'm listening to the opera Gesine mentioned. I'm only on the first movement, but it's amazing!
Karen S.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Sorry, don't know Akhnaten. No way of getting hold of it here, either.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Anita: I thought *I* spent too much time here, but you started some three months after me and have put more notes in the forum.

Talkative!

Congratulations,

""High five" always makes me think of a fairly gruesome snippet from Red Dwarf: "Give you five? I can give you fifteen!" Spare amputation floating around.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
sbb4677forever

Post by sbb4677forever »

Anything by Miriam Makeba, especially from her album called sangoma.
"You are either alive and proud or you are dead, and when your dead you don't care anyway. and your method of death can in itself be a politicizing thing." Stephen Biko
Sethwoodworth

Post by Sethwoodworth »

Elvis Costello - When I was cruel. I cry every time
sethish.com
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Between Here and Gone" seems to have more than it's share of songs about death and the hereafter, but I loved it from first listen and still feel oddly comforted when one of the songs shows up on a shuffled playlist.

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

gypsygirl wrote:Philip Glass!! I'm currently rehearsing a one act play based on his music; Philip Glass Buys a Loaf of Bread by David Ives. Definitely interesting.
OMG. Three of my friends and I did that last year, and we may be doing it for a theater competition sometime this year. That is one of the coolest pieces of theater out there, no question.

Glass's opera Einstein on the Beach is really cool, too. Everyone should listen to it straight through, all five-hours worth, just to say you have. It's quite an experience.
Last edited by timberwolfmage on October 12th, 2006, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]