Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan - ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

radames wrote:I just completed the finale for Act 2 with a length of 49 secs; http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_act2finale_pirateking_sc.mp3

Thank you! Let me know if all sounds ok. Also, I corrected "tonight the traitor dies."

StephenC
Posted in the MW. Thanks, Stephen.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

BookAngel7 wrote:Here are Edith's lines for Act 1, Scene 2:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_a1s2_edith_at.mp3 (0:36)

and her part of "Stop, Ladies, Pray, etc.":

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/pop_stopladies_edith_at.mp3 (4:46)

Since Edith is basically a member of the chorus when she isn't soloing, I went ahead and recorded the chorus lines along with her solos. If it would be more helpful to keep the chorus lines separate from the solos and create two files, I can do that, too. Just let me know. :)

(Of course, if you find issues with my pitch or timing, let me know that, too. :wink: )

I'm going to print out more sheet music right now...

bookAngel7
Lovely, thank you.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

BigStory wrote:Okay, I think I might be able to do the Pirate King part, one of your "orphans". Tell me what to do next? Where do I start?

-Gordon
No, sorry. The Pirate King is not available. The two male parts that are available are:
Samuel - lieutenant to the Pirate King (perhaps the source of the confusion), and
The Sergeant of Police.

Do let me know if you'd like to take either of them.
Karen S.
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

I'd like to voice Isabel. Is she still available ?

Cheers, JemmaBlythe
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Sure. Have at it!
Karen S.
JemmaBlythe

Post by JemmaBlythe »

Thanks...I shall.

JemmaBlythe
Julila

Post by Julila »

I suppose the Narrator part is not a singing part? If so, I'm quite willing to take that one on. Also, just to be sure, narrator part = reading out the stage directions etc., right?
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Julila wrote:I suppose the Narrator part is not a singing part? If so, I'm quite willing to take that one on. Also, just to be sure, narrator part = reading out the stage directions etc., right?
Yes, right on both parts. I'll put you down! Thanks, Julila! :)
Karen S.
Julila

Post by Julila »

Here you are: Act 1 and Act 2.
I hope I didn't miss anything! Also, I'm afraid I just read the acts straight out, that is, I didn't bother with scenes (I totally forgot).
Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!

Mr. Wooster, how would you support a wife? Well, I suppose it depends on whose wife it was, a little gentle pressure beneath the elbow while crossing a busy street usually fits the bill. (P.G. Wodehouse)
Welsh Librarian

Post by Welsh Librarian »

do I understand that you need a Sargeant (with his complaints about life in the police force?). If so, could I volunteer for that and ask at the same time, does it matter if the Sargeant sings or speaks:
No matter. Our course is clear: we must do our best to capture these pirates alone. It is most distressing to us to be the agents whereby our erring fellow creatures are deprived of that liberty which is so dear to us all-- but we should have thought of that before we joined the force.
Because I am of the opinion, it is more humourous if he does speak those lines
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Julila wrote:Here you are: Act 1 and Act 2.
I hope I didn't miss anything! Also, I'm afraid I just read the acts straight out, that is, I didn't bother with scenes (I totally forgot).
Wonderful, thanks!

No problem about the scenes. They were arbitrary divisions we made to divide it up in to easier chunks for recording.
Karen S.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Welsh Librarian wrote:do I understand that you need a Sargeant (with his complaints about life in the police force?). If so, could I volunteer for that and ask at the same time, does it matter if the Sargeant sings or speaks:
No matter. Our course is clear: we must do our best to capture these pirates alone. It is most distressing to us to be the agents whereby our erring fellow creatures are deprived of that liberty which is so dear to us all-- but we should have thought of that before we joined the force.
Because I am of the opinion, it is more humourous if he does speak those lines
I'll put you down for it. I have no problem with a few lines being speak-sung for dramatic or comic effect. :)

This seems to be your first recording. If it is, may I suggest you start with a test recording to make sure all your settings are correct. There's a short text here that some use for the test, or you might record the weekly poem or some other poem for one of the poetry collections.

How would you like to appear in the catalog (username, real name, etc)? And do you have a personal url you'd like your name linked to (blog, web page, etc)? If not, the default is your LV catalog page, which you can see by clicking on your name in the MW.
Karen S.
Welsh Librarian

I've been reading through those instructions and seem to have a problem with a continual hum (i.e background noise) and the only thing that doesn't generate a hum is the Text to Speech function (which I think would be cheating), so any advice on that score would be very helpful indeed.

I would prefer to be listed under my real name (Harry Hayfield). I do have a blog (but at the moment the main focus of that blog is on the general election due to be held in the UK by the end of May).

Does this mean then that you have no problems with me speaking the lines as listed in my posting (and singing the rest of them)?
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Welsh Librarian wrote:I've been reading through those instructions and seem to have a problem with a continual hum (i.e background noise) and the only thing that doesn't generate a hum is the Text to Speech function (which I think would be cheating), so any advice on that score would be very helpful indeed.

I would prefer to be listed under my real name (Harry Hayfield). I do have a blog (but at the moment the main focus of that blog is on the general election due to be held in the UK by the end of May).

Does this mean then that you have no problems with me speaking the lines as listed in my posting (and singing the rest of them)?
So sorry, hadn't noticed the new post in this thread till today.

Humming can be caused by a number of things: if you're on a laptop and using AC power, that sometimes causes a hum - try recording on battery power; computer fan - see if it's possible to move the mic further from the machine; if you're using a usb mic, sometimes having things in the other usb plugs will cause a hum - try unplugging things that are next to the mic; room noise, such as air conditioning or heating coming on.

In addition to trying to avoid hum in the recording, it is also possible to reduce it after the fact. Here is one of the noise cleaning pages from the wiki.
Karen S.
Welsh Librarian

It just so happens that you replied whilst my computer was being repaired for a failed power pack and I have only just got it back (and I think that might have been a good thing as I have just done a test and found that the hum has disappeared), so here's hoping:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/tests/test_welshlibrarian.mp3