What made you choose your nickname?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Since everyone was so willing to share their age, I was wondering what inspired you to choose your nickname? I'll go first: My real name "Esther" means "Star" :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Perhaps it's my name. It could be my name. It kind of sounds like it might be a name, don't you think? Or it could just be a made-up name. Or it could be a real name, but not really mine. I'm not sure even I know which of these, at this stage. :)

Esther is a lovely name.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
opheliad

Post by opheliad »

I played Ophelia in a school play called "When Shakespeare's Ladies Meet", where all the main female characters from S's plays were brought together. Incidentally, I'm still looking for a copy of that script to reminisce, so if you know of it, please do contact me.

ANYway, my nickname in full (which I use on other sites) is Ophelia Darcy - (ahh, Fitzwilliam!) opheliad is simply a shortened version of this.
Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Mine's from "You gotta get a gimick" in Gypsy: Cause if you got a gimmick, Gypsy girl you got it made.

I only chose it because I like the way it sounds, not from any particular attachment to the song or the play. Besides, my childhood nickname was "La Pulga" which means, the flea, and gypsygirl sounds way better than that. :)
Karen S.
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

Well, MermaidMaddie came about because a)I'm obsessed with mermaids and b) Maddie is my bratty little princess kitten's name. I often use one of my cats' names as my online "alias" or screen name because I don't like using my real name. (I don't even like wearing a name tag or a "hello, my name is ___ " sticker) :P

(Technically, she's not really a kitten now, she just turned 2 :shock: ) but she's just so darned cute and such a diva. (her brother is sort of a prissy prima donna too, so it think it just runs in the family :roll: )

I have multiple cats and of course I love them all...but Maddie's my "100% indoors only" cat and so she's my "baby" :)

She's just *so* freaking adrorable (and she knows it!) Definitely has a "larger than life" personality. :D Almost as large as her tail. (My family and I love to joke about her tail because it's so huge and fluffy it should get its own zip code.)

Shut me up now or I seriously will talk about my "babies" all day. :roll: Like one of those crazy old ladies who lives with several cats except that I'm only in my 20's . tee-hee. :D
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

LOL Maddie you are funny :lol: :lol:

Yep Gypsy girl sounds much better then flea LOL

Now is Gesine realy her name of not? :shock:

I figured Ophelia had something to do with that Shakespear dude.
shortcircuit

Post by shortcircuit »

Hmm... I think I chose shortcircuit because I'm short (my friends at school frequently refer to me as "short Asian woman" ... and I'm not entirely sure why :shock: heh.) and I used to have (still do) a fascination with electrical things.... and I guess my brain tends to shortcircuit every once in a while and I go completely random...

something like that.
- Maria
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

shortcircuit wrote:Hmm... I think I chose shortcircuit because I'm short (my friends at school frequently refer to me as "short Asian woman" ... and I'm not entirely sure why :shock: heh.) and I used to have (still do) a fascination with electrical things.... and I guess my brain tends to shortcircuit every once in a while and I go completely random...

something like that.
Love it!
Breefolk

Post by Breefolk »

Total silliness on my part. I was talking to my brother about LOTR when we were both teenagers. He had just gotten to talking about the town of Bree when I said that I liked that name. It stuck in my head since then and since Bree is often taken, I go with Breefolk.
-Christiane Levesque
raezel

Post by raezel »

I was writing a story and needed to came up with a name for a character and after a long and agonising brainstorming I came up with Raezel Czer (I've allways been bad at coming up with names for stories). There story never got actually written (rarely they do, I'm good at starting to write, but bad at finnishing), but I just couldn't let my hard work go to waste so I took the shortened version Raezel to use.
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

It's my real name in Gaelic, and I always liked the look of it.
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
anna

Post by anna »

Anna is my real name, with a small modificatie to make it easier to pronounce for non Dutch speaking people. :wink:
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

anna wrote:Anna is my real name, with a small modificatie to make it easier to pronounce for non Dutch speaking people. :wink:
Hee hee does it have a "j" in it?? :)
anna

Post by anna »

No, J :D

Blijf raden haha. :lol:
anna

Post by anna »

Starlite, my name is Ans. Anna is my first baptismal name, so you do not have to guess anymore. :wink: