Hi from Atl Canada/Radiowaves

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
hoopdriver

Post by hoopdriver »

Hi folks. This place is pretty spectacular, eh? I like the idea, the freedom and that it exists, a place like this! Everyone is into some pretty neat stuff and seem great!

Myself, I work too much as first point of contact tech support for a hotel chain. Then I produce a spoken word radio show for campus/community based CHSR (http://www.unb.ca/chsr). That takes a lot of time. But I think I've found an answer of sorts, here. I have just finsihed reading Bartleby after Wells' The Wheels of Chance . With the radio I barely have much time to do the editing proper as the rigid schedule pushes onward ho! I'm thinking it would be great to pull some books from here and play them on air. Can I just pull them or put notice out there somewhere that I'm looking to have people volutneer readings for it? It is a non-profit NCRA radio station in Fredericton, NB. It would take nearly no effort on a volunteer's part, maybe 2 or 3 song selections. Anyway, we can chat if someone is interested who sees this. It's called From the Public Domain; where we read works old enough or by people dead long enough that the copyrights have expired.

Aside from work and radio/librivox, I mountain bike a lot, commute year round via bicycle, make my own beer (so tasty!) and I'm sure there's other things, but aside from reading, these are the things I love. I can't wait for my first collaboration. I've ideas, but need more time and to get to know more about the workings here. It seems like I may just be able to post it in the proper forum and watch it go.

Thanks for stopping in!!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Hey hoopdriver!
I think you'll get just the sort of collaboration here that you're looking for.
Admittedly, I'm too sleepy to understand (after two slow readthroughs) how the two or three songs work into it :| but I see you've already recorded a solo here with Catharine/ceastman as your MC.
So is this roughly your thinking:
[long pause, hmm]
you're recording public domain books for a radio show
and you have certain titles in mind
and you reckon that if folks here team up with you on them, say one at a time, that you'd actually see the daylight from time to time, whereas if you had to record them all by yourself, no time to bike :(

so then what gets recorded could go onto your radio show as well as get catalogued for LibriVox -- like what you're doing now with the Wells book, yes? Am I in the same hemisphere with your idea?

Of course you can use anything already recorded here -- won't that help you get on the bike?? :D
http://librivox.org/librivox-catalogue/
anything atall -- that's what they're there for

Um... I look forward to seeing what springs up here.
It sounds like another Good Thing! :D

Anita
dozed and confused in the ballpark

[it IS a spectacular place and population here]
Anita
kri

Post by kri »

May it also be noted that our recordings are in the public domain (as it says in the intro of all recordings). This means you can use our recordings as freely as you use the texts, of course! Feel free to use whatever we have for...whatever you want.

However, please don't be like an audiobook website we found recently that's been distributing our recordings with the disclaimer cut out. I mean, how are people supposed to find where they can contribute books themselves, or find more books! We can't tell them not to do it, but that's the risk we take releasing them in the PD.
Breefolk

Post by Breefolk »

Wow, I never thought I would see a fellow Frederictonian come onboard. At least not really. And yes I know that my location lists me as Quebec, but I grew up in Fredericton.

I was just wondering, is it possible to listen to CHSR shows on the internet? Last time I checked, just before I headed off to Laval to do my PhD, we could only see show listings.

Btw, welcome to the fun that is Librivox. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)
-Christiane Levesque
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

welcome! ... as mentioned above, feel free to use our recordings however you like, and you can "commission" works too as long as there are volunteers willing to do em. have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
hoopdriver

Post by hoopdriver »

Breefolk wrote:Wow, I never thought I would see a fellow Frederictonian come onboard. At least not really. And yes I know that my location lists me as Quebec, but I grew up in Fredericton.

I was just wondering, is it possible to listen to CHSR shows on the internet? Last time I checked, just before I headed off to Laval to do my PhD, we could only see show listings.

Btw, welcome to the fun that is Librivox. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :)
Quebec is pretty sweet eh? I dig getting there every-so-often. It's a great place.

CHSR does run on the internet now. They only have so many listener ports (by which I mean so few), but that doesn't tend to be a problem with availability very often. It only gets clogged up during UNB hockey coverage. If you want to check it out it is at http://www.unb.ca/chsr

I have actually done most of my growing up in Greater Moncton and dad was transfered back and forth through CN and NBTel/Aliant between Moncton, Campbelton and Saint John. I came here for university (STU: Sociology & Native Studies), liked the feel of the town more than Moncton (too much concrete there) and stayed. I think this is year 8 now. I'll probably be leaving by the new year though, either way up north, or out of country.
hoopdriver

Post by hoopdriver »

a.r.dobbs wrote:Hey hoopdriver!
I think you'll get just the sort of collaboration here that you're looking for.
Admittedly, I'm too sleepy to understand (after two slow readthroughs) how the two or three songs work into it :| but I see you've already recorded a solo here with Catharine/ceastman as your MC.
I've got one project officially started and one more that I've started on my own, again, and need to get posted in the proper forum looking for an MC. I am definitely looking to get involved in a group project. I sort of think Mody Dick would be cool. It's huge and may be hard to coordinate or find enough readers for. I had other titles in mind, but I just woke up ;) The songs are for the radio format...
a.r.dobbs wrote:So is this roughly your thinking:
[long pause, hmm]
you're recording public domain books for a radio show
and you have certain titles in mind
and you reckon that if folks here team up with you on them, say one at a time, that you'd actually see the daylight from time to time, whereas if you had to record them all by yourself, no time to bike :

so then what gets recorded could go onto your radio show as well as get catalogued for LibriVox -- like what you're doing now with the Wells book, yes? Am I in the same hemisphere with your idea?(
Close, right now I would just like to find public domain readings from here that I can play on radio. Basically I would just download them, record my radio intro, splice a couple of songs in to break it up a bit (listeners like a listening/bathroom type break). I've been handling the show on my own the past few years and would rather it not take up 8hrs a week or more to compile. This should take much less, hopefully 'round-about an hour. Then I can finally finish proper editing of my work in progress(es) and start on with new projects without the rigid radio schedule.
a.r.dobbs wrote:Of course you can use anything already recorded here -- won't that help you get on the bike?? :D
http://librivox.org/librivox-catalogue/
anything atall -- that's what they're there for
I think I've got the first show lined up, a couple of shorts: the BP Riot Act and the Magna Carta. Then I think I'll be in the market for something close to 6-8hrs long to air over a few weeks. I was thinking of looking for volunteers, someone who would like the idea of their book going to air like this, but it sounds as though that's pretty much up the alley of why everyone is here, in one way or another. So I may pull a book and talk to the reader to see if they have any ideas for what songs they would like to have played between parts as interludes. It would be neat if they would like to record an intro for it too, though I can certainly sit myself down and record the intro to the show/book.
a.r.dobbs wrote:Um... I look forward to seeing what springs up here.
It sounds like another Good Thing! :D

Anita
dozed and confused in the ballpark

[it IS a spectacular place and population here]
I dig it here. Many thanks!!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

hoopdriver wrote:I think I've got the first show lined up, a couple of shorts: the BP Riot Act and the Magna Carta.
Yay! The Riot Act!! You've made my day, my friend, you've made my day!

David
hoopdriver

Post by hoopdriver »

earthcalling wrote:
hoopdriver wrote:I think I've got the first show lined up, a couple of shorts: the BP Riot Act and the Magna Carta.
Yay! The Riot Act!! You've made my day, my friend, you've made my day!

David
I like the idea that the CHSR listeners will be read the Riot Act. I hope they're prepaired :twisted: I'll have to pick 2 good songs to book-end this one. The Act hits home as, here in Canada, it's still kicking around. I'm pretty sure it was read to us at the Summit of the Americas/FTAA trade deal talks in Quebec City, 2001. Ahh, what fun...
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hey, neat idea! *Of course* I like the idea of any book or individual recording of mine going on the air :) And the musical interlude/bathroom break is brilliant. Let me know if you need suggestions, though it sounds like you're doing just fine on your own.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

kayray wrote: And the musical interlude/bathroom break is brilliant. on
Hee hee what about Sandra's dishes song LOL:

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=44819#44819

Soooooooooooo funny!
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
ndoo

Post by ndoo »

I think it's a great idea. If you would be so kind as to keep the LibriVox intro. and reader info. in place, then it's a win-win proposition. I'd be open to it. I don't know if you're into Henry James, but I did a solo of The Turn of the Screw. I think the majority of volunteers would love to have their work played to your audience. Keep us updated.

Best,
Nikolle
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

And I think some volunteers would like to catch the show each week, too!

Unsolicited Suggestion:
As the proof-listener of The Riot Act, and as a sometimes director of stuff (to be technical here) I'd like to recommend something for your consideration.

The Riot Act is very well read and is a very dry piece of work, funny in small doses and potentially irri- rather than eter- taining in its entirety -- the text itself is ... mm, punishing may be too strong... I think it could be very successfully serialized, using ~5-minute pieces in each show over a period of time. That way folks can appreciate it without annoyance. "Our second installment of reading you the riot act ..." and so on. I think that would really work, because I think folks can actually give it their full, curious attention for that long. And appreciate hearing it: appreciate the really lovely reading, appreciate the exposure to such a document, and appreciate your leniency in dolling it out piecemeal :).

I'm listening to it now. What a fun piece!! In short doses. Oooh, I just heard the stern tone. How could I have said fun? Not fun. Um ... powerful -- that's the word! :D

Anita

First perfect break is exactly 5 minutes in, at God save the King.
Breefolk

Post by Breefolk »

Thanks for the link and info. :)

I love your sense of adventure hoopdriver. I hope you have a good time with whatever you decide to do. And in the meantime, I look forward to listening to your work.
-Christiane Levesque