[COMPLETE] The Oresteia, by Aeschylus - PL/ce

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
smijen

Post by smijen »

gloriana wrote:Am I forgetting anything else that needs doing for this project?
Just my quest to get voice credits for all the parts. I'm uploading a new Clytemnestra file now, and will keep you updated.
Android users - try Orthografiend, a free word game from the maker of Checker.
smijen

Post by smijen »

ExEmGe wrote:What's happening about that bit at the end where the chorus split up into individual voices?
I'm happy with whatever you and Elizabeth work out. If you want my suggestion (take it or leave it), I'd say for both of you to record all of it and then Elizabeth can pick and choose when she's editing. That happened with the Furies - there were points at which I needed to bring one or another voice forward, and it was nice to be able to choose which one best fit the moment/mood/whatever.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'd concur with Sarah's take on the Chorus - let's both record all the lines, and then I'll choose which works best in the editing stage. Thanks, Andy! :)
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

O.K. Here's my shot at a first part of the chorus. It runs from the beginning down to Clytemnestra's speech. I've markes the narrator's comment just before the end. ('They turn...')
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sj/orestia_chorus_1.mp3

I'll get on with some more, but let me know anything I've got to do again.
Regards
Andy Minter
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Sounds good so far, Andy - haven't listened to the whole thing yet (I'm at work, meant to be writing a paper!) - but will hopefully try to record my accompanying part soon. Thanks! :)
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

And another bit. From the above point down to the entry of Agamemnon
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sj/orestia_chorus_2.mp3
Regards
Andy Minter
smijen

Post by smijen »

:clap: Thanks, Andy!

Elizabeth - I've got everything downloaded to cut and paste voice credits for the remaining characters. Will let you know when they're done.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

OK, great, Sarah. I'm going to get on the Chorus part tonight, and then will start editing Agamemnon, adding in Chorus parts as they get done.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Here's Part 1 of the Chorus, with Andy's and my parts mixed together:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sj/oresteia_chorusmixed_1.mp3

I would really, really appreciate an HONEST opinion of how y'all think this sounds. I lowered the pitch on my part by about 25%, and also decreased the volume so that Andy's part is louder than mine. I didn't do a really consistent job of matching Andy's phrasing, unfortunately - but it is HARD to get that right! Unless, of course, you have the time to listen to it over and over again to memorize the phrasing. Which I don't.

But I'm willing to re-record and/or re-mix this until it sounds right. I'd just appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

I think it's pretty good. I'm amazed that you could match the phrasing so well. Possibly try it again with your volume more or less equal?
I'm a bit bothered about your having to read it all though. After all there's a fair bit of it in total.
How does this short bit sound?
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sj/orestia_try_1_4v.mp3
This is four voices:
Original+ 0.2 sec reverb
+Original - 2 semitones
+Original - 1 semitone
+Original + 1 semitone
with the volume reduced back to -25dB after each mix.
(no reverb on the mixed voices and no time offset)
& it's easy to do!
I suspect that the only way to get the real sound of several people reading is to get several people and have them read under a conductor
Regards
Andy Minter
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Andy, I think this sounds SO much better than my version. And I can't lie: I don't particularly want to do that again for all the rest of the text! So if you don't mind doing that for the rest of the lines, that would be wonderful.

The only potential problem is: what about the part where the Chorus speaks as individuals? I suppose you could just alternate the lines in different pitches? That would probably work okay.

Thank you so much!!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

P.S. I've taken myself out of the MW for the Chorus and put you in for all three Chorus parts. Since, after all, they'll all be you.

By the way, don't forget to record a voice credit. Something like "Chorus of Old Men, read by Andy Minter." Does that sound okay, Sarah?
smijen

Post by smijen »

Sounds great. Thanks to you both!
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Jolly good Elisabeth. As long as you and Sarah are happy, that's what we'll do then.
Sarah: I'll get those two first parts done and up again in 'chorus' form tomorrow probably and then carry on with the rest. I'll sort out what to do about the separate parts when I get to them.
Regards
Andy Minter
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Correction - This is going to take a bit longer than I thought - Over a recording 13+ minutes long the length changes get out of kilter, so I'm having to slice it up into 3 minute sections and deal with them seperately and them put them back together. I'll still have these two pieces done this weekend though.
Life is never smooth.
Regards
Andy Minter