COMPLETE: A Year Amongst the Persians by E.G. Browne-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-year-amongst-the-persians-by-edward-granville-brown/

A year amongst the Persians; impressions as to the life, character, and thought of the people of Persia, received during twelve month's residence in that country in the years 1887-8 by Edward Granville Browne (1862 - 1926).

Click here to be notified by email when this book is complete!
Edward Granville Browne (1862 – 1926), born in Stouts Hill, Uley, Gloucestershire, England, was a British orientalist who published numerous articles and books of academic value, mainly in the areas of history and literature. His works are respected for their scholarship, uniqueness, and style. He published in areas which few other Western scholars had explored to any sufficient degree. He used a language and style that showed high respect for everybody, even toward those he personally did not view in positive light. In A Year Amongst the Persians (1893) he wrote a sympathetic portrayal of a Persian society which few Westerners had ever seen, including a frank account of the effects of opium. It did not attract the attention it deserved at the time of its initial publication, but after his death in 1926 it was reprinted and became a classic in English travel literature. A Year Amongst the Persians includes moving accounts of the Bahá’í community in Iran. Concerning his meetings with the Bahá’ís of Iran, Browne writes: “The memory of those assemblies can never fade from my mind; the recollection of those faces and those tones no time can efface. I have gazed with awe on the workings of a mighty Spirit, and I marvel whereunto it tends”.

Edward G. Browne referred to Bahá’ís as Bábís, but this was a mistake on his part. Siyyid ‘Alí-Muhammad-i-Shírází (1819-1850), known as the “Báb”, which is Arabic for “Gate”, proclaimed that He was the Promised One of Islám. He declared His mission in 1844 and was executed by the Persian government in 1850. His followers were known as Bábís. The Báb also proclaimed that He was the Gate, Herald and Forerunner of an even greater Manifestation of God who would come after Him, the Promised One of all religions and Return of Christ in the Glory of the Father. In 1863, Mírzá Husyan-‘Alí-yi-Núrí (1817-1892), known as Bahá’u’lláh (Arabic for “The Glory of God”), proclaimed that He was the Promised One foretold by the Báb. By the time Browne arrived in Iran, most Bábís had already accepted Bahá’u’lláh as the Promised One and were now known as Bahá’ís. A small group of Bábís, led by Mírzá Yahyá Núrí, known as Azal, who was Bahá’u’lláh’s younger half-brother, rejected these claims. Azal is notorious for poisoning his own Brother (i.e. Bahá’u’lláh) as well as trying to assassinate other enemies on numerous occasions. While the Báb had made Azal His nominal successor, this was only until the Promised One were to appear, upon which time Azal’s authority was supposed to cease. Most Bábís realised Azal’s depravity and turned to Bahá’u’lláh, whose character and spirituality were unsurpassed. Browne was sympathetic to Azal’s claims but was also impressed by the spirituality of the Bahá’í community. The followers of Azal (sometimes spelled Ezel) were known as Azalís.

While Browne’s sympathetic views on Azal were misguided, he made a great contribution to Bahá’í studies through his translations of historical works and his accounts of the Bahá’í community. Amongst Persians, at a time when nearly the whole nation was highly suspicious of foreigners, and in particular of any British or Russian person due to the political dynamics of that time, Edward Browne was well accepted by the people who knew him and his works. He is well remembered today, and a street named after him in Tehran, as well as his statue, remained even after the Iranian revolution in 1979.
(Summary by Nicholas James Bridgewater)
  1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is March 21, 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.archive.org/details/yearamongstpersi00browuoft
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: [Standard PL]

PRONUNCIATION GUIDES:

If you're not a Persian or Arabic speaker, fear not! ;) This project is for everyone so you're welcome to volunteer. Here are some pronunciation guides to help you in your recordings. Don't feel that you need to read/listen to all of these. Just read as much as you need until you feel comfortable contributing. Also, do not worry about the short lines of Persian and Arabic poetry that appear in some chapters (usually at the beginning of the chapter). These are transliterated, so you should be able to pronounce them phonetically. Just try to read them according to the general guidelines that you'll find in any of the links below. If you already know some Persian or Arabic, that will help greatly. But please, please don't let the Persian or Arabic words, names, etc. put you off contributing. This is a book by an Englishman for an English-speaking audience. :)

Here are some common words that you may come across. These are just suggested pronunciations:

Báb - The a here is long (e.g. aw in law, saw), i.e. bAWb.

Bábí - Pronounced bAWb-EE (e.g. EE as in see or tree).

Behá - The final vowel is long (as above), i.e. bahAW. I'm not sure why E.G. Browne used an e here. The first a is short, as in cat.

Behá'í - Pronounced ba-hAW-EE. In English-speaking countries, Baha'i is often pronounced ba-hAI (AI like the i in "hi" or ie in "pie").

Ezel - Both vowels short. Normally pronounced azal.

Sháh - Pronounced shAWh. The final "h" is pronounced.

Mullá - Pronounced mol-lAW. The "l" is doubled, as in Italian.

Mírzá - Pronounced mEEr-zAW.

Tabríz - Pronounced ta-brEEz.

Teherán - Don't forget to pronounce the "h". It's teh-rAWn. The final vowel is long.

Isfahán - Pronounced es-fa-hAWn.

Shíráz - Pronounced shEE-rAWz.

Yezd - Pronounced yazd.

Kirmán - Pronounced ker-mAWn.

Links to Pronunciation Guides:

A Baha'i Glossary and Pronunciation Guide (mp3 recording):
    http://www.bahaistudy.org/mp3/Bahai-Glossary1.mp3

Bahá’í Orthography:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bah%C3%A1%27%C3%AD_orthography

A Chart Showing a Standard Transliteration System for Persian/Arabic:
    http://bahai-library.com/books/dawnbreakers/images/673.jpg

A Glossary of Baha'i Terms with Pronunciation:
    http://bahai-library.org/books/rg/rg.glossary.html

Also, Section 01 of my recording of Persian Self-Taught might be useful:

"The Alphabet and Pronunciation: The Alphabet, The Persi-Arabic Characters, Remarks on the Alphabet, The Romanized Characters, with Phonetic Pronunciation, Preliminary Notes"
    http://www.archive.org/download/persian_selftaught_njb_librivox/persianselftaught_01_hasan_64kb.mp3

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of A year amongst the Persians by Edward Granville Browne - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "A year amongst the Persians, by Edward Granville Browne."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of A year amongst the Persians; impressions as to the life, character, and thought of the people of Persia, received during twelve month's residence in that country in the years 1887-8, by Edward Granville Browne."
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    yearamongstthepersians_##_browne.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. yearamongstthepersians_01_browne.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Edward Granville Browne
    Album: A year amongst the Persians

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Nicholas19 on January 20th, 2010, 7:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
KiltedDragon
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by KiltedDragon »

Leni has volunteered to MC this project in the Book Suggestions so I added her initials to the subject line.
Barry
My Recordings
“I became insane. With long intervals of horrible sanity.” - Edgar Allan Poe
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

And I would like to be the dpl!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks, Barry!

The project is set up, the MW is ready, mim is DPL and we are ready to go. :D

Nicholas, I suggest you put the whole list of parts, chapter and word count in the window, to make the first post shorter and your instructions more visible (I don't know if that's what you intended to do). Maybe even put the instructions in red, to draw more attention?

Anyway, it's up to you. :) I'll move us to Readers Wanted tomorrow.
Leni
=================
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Leni wrote:Thanks, Barry!

The project is set up, the MW is ready, mim is DPL and we are ready to go. :D

Nicholas, I suggest you put the whole list of parts, chapter and word count in the window, to make the first post shorter and your instructions more visible (I don't know if that's what you intended to do). Maybe even put the instructions in red, to draw more attention?

Anyway, it's up to you. :) I'll move us to Readers Wanted tomorrow.
Thanks Barry, Leni and Mim! :)

I will put the chapter info, etc. into the MW, asap. :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

I am really happy to see someone taking on this amazing book..!! I doubt I can contribute to this one (I have more than enough Librivox commitments for me to tackle), but it is worth a read to anyone who is interested in adventure, culture, history, religion, and strange customs in strange lands. Great Stuff!!
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

JoeD wrote:I am really happy to see someone taking on this amazing book..!! I doubt I can contribute to this one (I have more than enough Librivox commitments for me to tackle), but it is worth a read to anyone who is interested in adventure, culture, history, religion, and strange customs in strange lands. Great Stuff!!
Thanks JoeD! Your comments will help to promote this book, even if you don't read any sections. I didn't realise someone else on LibriVox had also read this book before. How did you come across it? I thought I might be the only one. 8-)

This book definitely does have something for everyone. I can't imagine that anyone would find Browne's work anything but fascinating, illuminating and enlightening. This book is also quite relevant to me, on a personal level, as I am a Bahá’í myself and Browne met with numerous Bahá’ís during his travels and recorded his conversations on religion with them. It's almost as if one were to go back in time and have conversations with first-century Christians. Browne's work is that significant! Browne himself recognised the similarity of early Christianity and the Bahá’í community, which both had similar beginnings. He also recognised the future potential of the religion. I doubt that even Browne could have predicted, though, the extent to which the Bahá’í Faith (the religion of the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh) would spread around the world--to every country and region of the earth. He might not have foreseen that his works would be as eagerly read by European or Western Christians as they would by European or Western Bahá’ís. ;)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Section 00 uploaded! :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Nicholas19 wrote:
I didn't realise someone else on LibriVox had also read this book before. How did you come across it?
I have found books.google and archive.org to be goldmines long before I discovered Librivox. I am a bit of a History of Religions nut, and I believe I stumbled across Edward Browne while looking up some Islamic studies from Ignaz Goldziher.

Trust me, Browne is far more readable than Goldziher. :wink:
mim@can

Post by mim@can »

Nicholas19 wrote:Section 00 uploaded! :)
Proof listened All okay
Adib

Post by Adib »

Hello Nicholas and all!

I would love to participate in this magnificent project. For now, I would like to volunteer to read sections 05 and 06. Hopefully I will be able to do many more after these are complete. :)

Adib Masumian
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Adib wrote:Hello Nicholas and all!

I would love to participate in this magnificent project. For now, I would like to volunteer to read sections 05 and 06. Hopefully I will be able to do many more after these are complete. :)

Adib Masumian
Dear Adib! That's wonderful. I've signed you up for the sections you've requested. Hopefully, if we can find enough Persian-speaking volunteers, we can set up projects to record the Kitab-i-Iqan and other Persian Baha'i holy writings. ;) You saw my message in either the persian-bahai or bahai-persian yahoogroups, right?

And welcome to LibriVox as well! As you're new to LibriVox, you'll want to upload a 1-minute test, to check that your settings are ok. This page will tell you how to do that: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

This is just to make sure that your audio recordings will not be wasted by having incorrect settings, etc. There is a lot of information on how to make audio recordings at the LibriVox wiki. I would recommend that you have a look at the "Newbie Guide to Recording": http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording

Best wishes! :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Section 01 uploaded! :)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.
PeaceBreeze

Post by PeaceBreeze »

Hi Nicholas

I am volunteer for the following sections :

1. Section 18

2. Section 24

3. Section 30

4. Section 34

Thanks and Best Wishes

PeaceBreeze :D
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Thanks PeaceBreeze, I've assigned you those sections as requested.

Let me know when you have uploaded your 1-minute test recording. :D
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

- Baha'u'llah

Some Answered Questions.