[COMPLETE] The Prime Minister by A. Trollope - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sounds somewhat awkward but OK as it is . Unless anyone else disagrees I think it should be read as is
While you are here - I don't have your catalogue file name - people either choose to use their forum name or their real one - what would you like ?

Anne
clifford

Post by clifford »

"He had addressed Everett in that solicitude to which a man should never be reduced of seeking to be recognised by at any rate one acquaintance,—and now his brother-in-law had called him a scoundrel in the presence of other men. "

It does sound awkward. I think it needs some commas (in fact I've found that in reading the 19th century out loud, it sometimes helps to go through it first and put in commas where there should be a slight pause. So I think the above might make more sense as:

"He had addressed Everett in that solicitude, to which a man should never be reduced, of seeking to be recognised by at any rate one acquaintance,—and now his brother-in-law had called him a scoundrel in the presence of other men. "

but others may have different ideas. It still seems a bit clumsy, paarticularly the last part. But Trollope worked very steadily and very fast, and perhaps made assumptions about his readers that made more sense 150 years ago than they do now.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

I agree with Clifford's analysis of that sentence - the 'of' belongs to 'solicitude', so you can think of it as

'He had addressed Everett in that solicitude-to-which-a-man-should-never-be-reduced of seeking to be recognised by at any rate one acquaintance,—and now his brother-in-law had...',

or

'He had addressed Everett in that solicitude (to which a man should never be reduced) of seeking to be recognised by at any rate one acquaintance,—and now his brother-in-law had...'

At any rate, it's not an error in the Gutenberg text; my paper copy is the same.

Anyway, that's all by the way; what I came to say, thinking that there might be some people checking in here who would find it of interest, is that BBC Radio 7 has started replaying a BBC Radio adaptation of 'The Pallisers' - a condensed version of all six novels, I think, in 12 one-hour episodes. One episode is being broadcast every weekday from yesterday, and each episode is available for seven days after broadcast online.
Links to listen are here http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c1xwl and should work worldwide, I think.

rd
English is the lingua franca par excellence
HurstPP

Post by HurstPP »

Last edited by HurstPP on January 14th, 2010, 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
HurstPP

Post by HurstPP »

please save chapter 56 for me. thank you.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

thanks for 58 - and you are down for 56

Anne :D
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

I'll take 72 and 73, please.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thanks , they are yours. This project is going on well :D .Only 4 more to allocate.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

HurstPP wrote:length 21:50.

Upload successful. URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/primeminister_58_trollope.mp3
PL OK :thumbs:

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

clifford wrote:Here are chaps. 67 and 68:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/primeminister_67_trollope.mp3
time: 19.11
size: 17.5mb

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/primeminister_68_trollope.mp3

time: 24.47
size: 22.6MB