COMPLETE - Richard III by William Shakespeare - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
shorne

Post by shorne »

Hi, I am completely new to Librivox, but am eager to learn and join in.
I am eyeing the role of Catesby. Would it be too challenging for a first timer?
I am also not completely sure of how to read the parts, I may have missed it in the new reader's guide. Do I simply read my lines with pauses where other dialogue should be?

Thanks,

Spencer
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Hello Spencer, and welcome to LibriVox! I'd be happy to have you read the role of Catesby and will put you in the Magic Window. We usually ask that new volunteers do a test recording, just to make sure that you've got all the technical aspects sorted out, and that your reading volume, etc, are all okay. This is detailed in the "Newbie guide to recording." If you'd like, you could record Catesby's Act 1 file and post it, and we will check it out and give you some feedback before you do the rest of the files. Sound good? :)

And yes, you're correct: basically you read all of Catesby's lines in order, leaving pauses of at least a few seconds in between, to facilitate the editing.

Thanks so much!

Edited to add: could you let me know how you'd like your name to appear in the catalog? You can simply use your username, or you can use your real name.
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Could I have Stanley Please?
gloriana wrote:eventually he defects to Richmond. So he's really a good guy.
I think not, but I'm a devotee of Josephine Tey and 'The Daughter of Time' so I hope that doesn't disqualify me.
Regards
Andy Minter
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Hee. I love "The Daughter of Time." And you're right, I'm completely over-simplifying things here. After all, whenever I teach Richard III we spend quite a while (possibly far too long for some of my students!) debating how we know who's "good" and "bad" and whether we can really believe in Richmond as the guy who's going to save England at the end...

And of course I'm very happy to have you on board as Stanley.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Just FYI, folks - I'll leave this topic in the Launch Pad until tomorrow (Sunday) and then we'll move over to Dramatic Works.
Rismyth

Post by Rismyth »

I, like Spencer am brand new to Librivox and would like to start with something like this.
Looking at the First Murderer, and maybe a couple of small bits nearer the end.
SHERIFF OF WILTSHIRE
BISHOP OF ELY

I'll probably start with the smaller parts and see how they go before starting on the Murderer. Also are we doing this as Americans doing Shakespeare, or are we doing the dialect from across the pond?

Robert
Bob Sherman

Post by Bob Sherman »

gloriana...to paraphrase your comment above about "The Winter's Tale"..."Pathetic? No!!!" I remember the first time I saw "The Winter's Tale" performed, and how important the music was. Oh, well! :)

Bob
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Rismyth wrote:I, like Spencer am brand new to Librivox and would like to start with something like this.
Looking at the First Murderer, and maybe a couple of small bits nearer the end.
SHERIFF OF WILTSHIRE
BISHOP OF ELY

I'll probably start with the smaller parts and see how they go before starting on the Murderer. Also are we doing this as Americans doing Shakespeare, or are we doing the dialect from across the pond?

Robert
Hi Robert, and welcome to LibriVox! I'd be happy to have you read those roles. The First Murderer in particular is quite a fun part. Why don't you start with the Sheriff as a test recording, to make sure everything sounds okay, and then we'll go from there. Sound good?

You can use whatever accent you'd like. Don't feel the need to do a dialect unless you want to. "American Shakespeare" is completely fine. :)

How would you like to appear in the catalog?
vbjslp

Post by vbjslp »

Could I have the "Second Messenger" please? Perhaps more later.
Thanks!
Veronica
shorne

Post by shorne »

Hi,

Thanks Gloriana. I would like my name to appear in full: Spencer Horne

I will also work on the test and post it asap. Currently I am having a bit of trouble with my mic. It's not picking up much (I am literally having to project as I read). Once I have sorted it out I will send the test.

One more question: How dramatic are we meant to be? Do the same rules of reading books apply to dramas, or can one have a little fun with the characters?

Thank you again.

Spencer
Raeubertochter

Post by Raeubertochter »

If you don't mind a female voice there, I'd like to take the second murderer (24) as well.
Read more female Nobel laureates -
Bertha von Suttner (1905, peace): Die Waffen nieder!
Selma Lagerlöf (1909, literature): Niels Holgersens wunderbare Reise mit den Wildgänsen - Teil 2
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Queen Margaret, Act I Scene iii uploaded.

Upload URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/richardiii_queenmargaret_1.mp3

As always, if anything isn't quite as you want it, just let me know and I will re-record. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Dave in the Fax

Post by Dave in the Fax »

Gloriana, would it be OK if I uploaded my files scene-by-scene instead of act-by-act? Richard is very verbose and it would make the process of uploading the files less time-consuming. If that will cause editing problems, it's not a big deal, but I just thought I'd ask.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

shorne wrote:How dramatic are we meant to be? Do the same rules of reading books apply to dramas, or can one have a little fun with the characters?

Thank you again.

Spencer
Hi Spencer -

Be as dramatic as you can be. I definitely encourage acting in these dramatic projects. Go for it. :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Raeubertochter wrote:If you don't mind a female voice there, I'd like to take the second murderer (24) as well.
Great - thank you! You're in the MW.