COMPLETE - Richard III by William Shakespeare - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Richard III by William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

This project is now complete - http://librivox.org/richard-iii-by-william-shakespeare
Richard III is an early history play probably written and performed around 1592-93. It is the culmination of Shakespeare's earlier three plays about Henry VI, and chronicles the bloody career of Richard, Duke of Gloucester. As the play opens, the Wars of the Roses are over, King Edward IV (Richard's brother) is on the throne, and all is ostensibly well. The problem? Richard wants to be king - and he'll stop at nothing to realize his ambition. (Summary by Elizabeth Klett)

1. Is there a deadline?: Yes! Project deadline is January 15, 2011. Deadline for individual parts: December 1, 2010. This will allow six weeks for editing and proof-listening after individual roles are completed.

We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is December 1, 2010.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/1503 [PLEASE NOTE: it is crucial that everyone read from this particular text. There are many different versions of Shakespeare's plays available, and some of them differ quite a bit. In order to avoid problems at the editing stage, it is very important that everyone read from the same text. This one is the best-formatted version on Project Gutenberg.]
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

Gender-specific casting: For a few parts only, noted in the Magic Window. Otherwise anyone is welcome to any part.

Multiple parts: There are over 50 roles in this play, many of them very small. (I have combined a couple of them where appropriate). I encourage you to claim more than one as long as your characters do not share a scene (ideally not sharing an act either) and as long as you are not also reading a major part or the stage directions (to avoid confusion for the listeners).

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

==========================================
    MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)

===========================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act. Leave a 1-2 second gap (ambient sound) between lines. Insert the following tone between scenes: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/ashort_tone.mp3

Submit different characters in separate files.

Please do NOT do any post-processing (noise removal, amplification, etc) to your file.
    Our editor will need to adjust these things in the editing phase to make the files match up, and two processing passes will often distort the voice. If your recording has significant noise or other technical problems, we'll try to help you trouble-shoot those so you won't have to deal with them in future recordings.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:

At the beginning: Act [#] of [Richard III], by [William Shakespeare]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of [Richard III], by [William Shakespeare].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 richardiii_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread): http://upload.librivox.org

(If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by gloriana on June 13th, 2010, 7:08 pm, edited 10 times in total.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I will be MCing and editing this project. I'm going to set up the Magic Window now.
mb

Post by mb »

Reporting for duty! Happy to read whomever, whenever, whatever. :D
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Here is the Dramatis Personae, from the Gutenberg text:

Persons Represented
KING EDWARD THE FOURTH

Sons to the king
EDWARD, PRINCE OF WALES,
afterwards KING EDWARD V
RICHARD, DUKE OF YORK

Brothers to the king
GEORGE, DUKE OF CLARENCE
RICHARD, DUKE OF GLOSTER,
afterwards KING RICHARD III

A YOUNG SON OF CLARENCE
HENRY, EARL OF RICHMOND,
afterwards KING HENRY VII
CARDINAL BOURCHIER, ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY
THOMAS ROTHERHAM, ARCHBISHOP OF YORK
JOHN MORTON, BISHOP OF ELY
DUKE OF BUCKINGHAM
DUKE OF NORFOLK
EARL OF SURREY, his son
EARL RIVERS, brother to King Edward's Queen
MARQUIS OF DORSET and LORD GREY, her sons
EARL OF OXFORD
LORD HASTINGS
LORD STANLEY
LORD LOVEL
SIR THOMAS VAUGHAN
SIR RICHARD RATCLIFF
SIR WILLIAM CATESBY
SIR JAMES TYRREL
SIR JAMES BLOUNT
SIR WALTER HERBERT
SIR ROBERT BRAKENBURY, Lieutenant of the Tower
CHRISTOPHER URSWICK, a priest
Another Priest
LORD MAYOR OF LONDON
SHERIFF OF WILTSHIRE

ELIZABETH, Queen to King Edward IV
MARGARET, widow to King Henry VI
DUCHESS OF YORK, mother to King Edward IV, Clarence, and Gloster
LADY ANNE, widow to Edward, Prince of Wales, son to King Henry VI; afterwards married to the Duke of Gloster
A YOUNG DAUGHTER OF CLARENCE

Lords, and other Attendants; two Gentlemen, a Pursuivant, Scrivener, Citizens, Murderers, Messengers, Ghosts, Soldiers, &c.

I will be recording and posting a pronunciation guide soon, just so we're all saying "Gloucester", etc, the same way. :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Glad to have you aboard, mb! Richard has been cast, but all other male roles are open. What do you fancy?
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Also, we are in need of a DPL - let me know if anyone is interested! :)
dii

Post by dii »

Hi Elizabeth!

I'd like to try myself in narration :)
Diana
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Fabulous, thanks, dii! :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Queen Margaret sounds quite grumpy enough for me. I'd like that part, please, if only so that I can say "Thou cacodemon!" ;)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
mb

Post by mb »

Argh, decisions!

Buckingham - probably too young
Clarence - could I pull off sounding like Dave's brother? Not for laughs, anyway?
Richmond - not as much fun?
Rivers, maybe?

Please, feel free to help (read: tell me what to do), or we could be here for days!
:wink:
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

RuthieG wrote:Queen Margaret sounds quite grumpy enough for me. I'd like that part, please, if only so that I can say "Thou cacodemon!" ;)

Ruth
Oh, Margaret's the grumpiest. She's all yours! :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

mb wrote:Argh, decisions!

Buckingham - probably too young
Clarence - could I pull off sounding like Dave's brother? Not for laughs, anyway?
Richmond - not as much fun?
Rivers, maybe?

Please, feel free to help (read: tell me what to do), or we could be here for days!
:wink:
It's really up to you. Perhaps I should give a run-down of some of the larger male roles, which might help future volunteers.

Buckingham is probably the second-largest role next to Richard - he's Richard's right-hand man. Until, of course, Richard has him killed.
Clarence is Richard's older brother, who Richard has killed early on. He has some beautiful poetry to speak in 1.4.
Hastings is another of Richard's allies who's also dallying with the King's mistress, Jane Shore. He refuses to support Richard as King and loses his head.
Richmond is the good guy who comes in at the end to defeat Richard and save the day. He becomes Henry VII.
Stanley is another of Richard's supporters, at least initially - eventually he defects to Richmond. So he's really a good guy.
Catesby: another of Richard's supporters, who's with him to the end.
Rivers, Grey and Vaughan all lose their heads for being too close to Queen Elizabeth. Her other son, Dorset, manages to survive. These are all smaller roles.
Ratcliff and Tyrell are assorted baddies. Ratcliff is with Richard through the end, and Tyrell is hired to kill the little princes in the Tower.
And then of course there's King Edward, who doesn't last more than one scene (he's ill; Richard doesn't kill him).

Hope that's helpful! Still doing line counts for the MW.
mb

Post by mb »

Part of the problem is I know this one too well, I think. Buckingham for now, then, please. And if it doesn't work I'll try someone else.
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

May I please be assigned Section 01, King Edward IV?
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

At gloriana's suggestion that I "sound like a good guy" (!:lol:!) I'll take Henry, the Earl of Richmond.
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings