[COMPLETE] Dialogo dei massimi sistemi by Galilei - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Leni,

as I've said before, I don't speak Italian... :( That means I'd have to 'read' along with the text to spot things like omissions or repeats.

So, right now, I'd rather not commit myself if there's a chance there's anyone else out there who would do a better job than me. If there's nobody showing up, however, I will jump in and bite the bullet - as this project is quite close to my heart... :D
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

I have considered with attention the difficulty of this project and, due also to the present condition of my eyes, I have decided to stop it.
I understand that it is practically impossible to PLing it being a non-native Italian (thanks however for helping ).

Thus, the present thread can be erased.

If I will be alble, I will propose a much more affordable Italian 'project' for a shorter book.

Bye, friends. :cry: :oops:
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

Nooo! Please don't... :cry:

I know this is a difficult project, and it's always hard to get something like this started. But I'm sure we'll find a way to do this. There are two PD texts out there, in the worst case we can do some combining - as we're talking about a very old text in the original, that's possible - it would be more difficult if it were a translation. Yes, right now there's nobody who would PL this, but it's not necessary to get a project started. You gave yourself a year, everything can happen!

And about your eyes, well, you'll not be one-eyed pirate forever :D You'll get new contacts, and you just start recording later... It's your project, you are not holding anyone back, the time line is entirely your choice...

Having said that, I realize that it's also your choice to kill the project :( but I really hope you'd reconsider... After all, where's the challenge in the easy stuff? :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

OK, Ava. It's impossible to resist your peroration! Let's this project live another season.

Instead of killing the project, I will hang it on until an MC (I understand that Leni is available) and a PLing are available!

I think that a great father of modern science like Galileo deserves the honour and possibility to be heard in the original language he used for writing his ideas!

In the meantime, Happy New Year 2010!
Last edited by vitomar on December 31st, 2009, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

What a wonderful New Year's gift! :9: Thank you!

As I said above, this project is close to my heart - I will be with you every step of the way, even as I can't PL this!

We'll do this together, promised!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Yes, I will be MCing. Check. :D

You don't need to have a PLer to start. You can just start recording, and we will find a PLer along the way. We need to decide on the text source first, though, and, if the intros will be in Italian (which I think would be good!), that needs to be stated in the first post.

So, Vito, if you can edit your first post (there is an edit button on the top right corner, in case you didn't notice :) ) adding the PD text source and editing the intros, we are good to go!
Leni
=================
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

I have edited the text source. I have also found the Italian LV Discalimer. In order to be sure the text from the intros is correct I prefer to re-record the two parts.

Thanks. :thumbs:
Vito Marangelli

Post by Leni »

Hi, Vito

Thanks for editing the text source. I still need you to add, in the first post, the disclaimer you will be using. The part where you see this:
Start of recording (Intro)

* "Chapter [number] of [Book title]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
* If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
* Say:
"Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

* "Chapter [number] of [Book title]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
* If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name]"
* Say:
"Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]. [Chapter]"

End of recording

* At the end of the section, say:
“End of [Chapter]"
* If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

* At the end of the book, say (in addition):
"End of Title, by Author. [Translated by [translator]]."
you should fill in with the Italian disclaimer.

I will add the project to the database, in the meanwhile, and send you the information about the Magic Window.

Thanks!
Leni
=================
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Leni,

I have uploaded my first file (the dedication).

The file location is

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/Dialogo_dei_massimi_sistemi_00_galilei.mp3

I have edited the recording by Audacity. Let me know if the quality is acceptable. I am going to improve my technical setting. I have ordered MacSpeech Dictate with a noise-reducing microphone. Thus, I will wait for recording other files until I have that equipment.

Thanks, Vito

:)
Vito Marangelli

Post by Availle »

Hi Vito,

great to see your first 'real' recording up! :9: It's getting quite late here, and I don't have any more energy to check it in detail now, just a few things:

- filenames should be all lower case (else it may upset the uploader). Usually, we have "titleinoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3" as naming convention for files (see first post, pretty much in the end). May I suggest something like "dialogomassimisistemi_00_galilei" for this one? Don't worry about it now, Leni can change that in the database... :D

- You have access to your own magic window now! Use the link just below it "BC Admin" to log in - Leni has sent you your user name, right? You'll get a page with the magic window, and there is a column titled "Listen URL". Click on "Edit" and paste the url from your uploader there and save. It's a good idea to also post the length of your recording (in the notes column) so that a PLer will know how much time it will take. Finally mark the last column 'complete' (if you do it now, it will show up in your public list as a completed section as well).

That's it for now... I will have a closer look at your file tomorrow, must.sleep.now... :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Thank you, Ava.

I have renamed the file and re-uploaded it, as you suggested!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/dialogomassimisistemi_00_galilei.mp3

I have also compiled the Listen URL, the Notes for PL asking, and checked it as complete.

Regards, Vito
Vito Marangelli

Post by dii »

Ciao Vito [e Leni :D]!

Posso PL questo per te ^^

[OK, I'm not really good in Italian, I've been learning it for a year... but trying hard :roll: ]
Diana
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Ava, thanks so much for all your help! I really do appreciate it.

Vito, thanks for the new upload and everything. I changed a bit the way you add the titles to the window (I added the number before and used capital letters). But the rest is perfectly fine. Great!

Since we now have a DPLer (hi, dii!), I will let her check your first file. Dii is a great PLer, you're in good hands! :D
Leni
=================
dii

Post by dii »

Thanks, Leni ^^

I PL'ed section 00. Notes:
- in the intro you should read "Section 0", not section 1 [or you can simply say Dedica di... that's even better, I think]
- I'm not quite sure how are the first sections, in the intro you read "Premessa, Dedica", though in the MW they are 2 different sections
- there are plosives throughout the recording, this is when your breath hits the mic. You should put the mic a little aside and it should be OK. Once you've found the perfect position, it won't be a problem :)
- ID tags are all in lower case, just a formal thing
- at the end of the recording, there should be 5 seconds of silence

Otherwise great ^^
Diana
vitomar

Post by vitomar »

Thanks, Dii

Probably you have listened the first file I sent. Eventually, I uploaded a new version with the' premessa..dedica' corrected. It says simply 'dedica' (because this is the dedication to the sponsor!).

You are right about the 'breaths'. As I said, I am receiving in a couple of days a new microphone with noise-reduction. I tried to erase the breaths as much as possible (but I must confess that loud breaths are my personal problem').

I will try to correct everything I can. However, I think I am learning all the basics for LV management, thank to your incredibly quick responses!

Thanks, Leni, Ava, Dii.

Vito
Vito Marangelli