Come and Contribute to the Community Podcast!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Cori

Post by Cori »

One of my New Year's Revolutions for 2010 will be to get the LibriVox Community Podcast rolling again, both hosting myself and doing whatever I can to encourage / bribe new hosts too. :D

And it'd be as well to get back into the spirit of things, with a pair of shows looking back through the year, and forward to next year. SO ...

Podcast #108: 2009 - The Review! COMPLETED AND RELEASED!

Podcast #109: 2010 - It's going to be a great year!
  • Due date for contributions: Thurs 31st Dec, 1pm Brit time. (see a countdown here!)
  • Things I'd love to hear: Crazy predictions. Projects you'd love to start. Books you'd love to hear read. Things you're looking forward to. Your own revolutions/resolutions, if you make them, and if they're at all LibriVoxy (or funny.)
  • Format: MP3 / WAV / FLAC / text.
    If you can record it yourself, great - just send me a link to the file via the 'cs' folder on the uploader. If you can't, PM / email me and I'll find someone to record it for you. Sung versions especially welcome!!
  • Need ideas? PM me and I'll suggest even, even more things that might spark your creative side.
  • Podcast release date: 31st Dec, though I'm still not committing to a time. :lol:
Who can contribute? Anyone who's reading here and who'd like to! If you joined yesterday, great! If you've been here since the beginning, great! If you've never actually posted on the forum, you just read here - honestly - great!

Questions? Please post below. Also comments, ideas, links, etc.
Last edited by Cori on December 29th, 2009, 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, come, all ye voices,
Amateur and pro,
Oh come ye, come ye to LibriVox!
Come and record books
MP3s for everyone!
Oh, come, let us record them,
Audiobooks!

We free readers of LibriVox are,
Reading books, both plain and bizarre!
Spoken, carolled; listeners dazzled
From Slough to Myanmar.

O poems of wonder, tales of fright,
Texts of wisdom and insight.
Shakespeare, Austen, (not Solzhenitsyn;
Books without copyright!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I don't think I'll have time to record anything but if someone else wants to read out this post I've no objections. *g*

I think the completion of Hamlet after 3 1/2 years merits a mention. Congrats to all involved in that.

And of course there's our record breaking November in general. 145 works, smashing all previous records is awesome. I didn't do much to help, but I watched the progress with great excitement.

And I'm really hoping we get to 3000 projects by the end of the year. We are so close and it would mean we completed 1000 projects over the year. (Which is an average of 83.3 projects a month, or 2.7 projects a day!)

2009 was notable for me joining Librivox. I had a whale of a time coordinating the weekly poetry for a few months. It was great helping new people find their feet, picking out poems and hearing different people's interpretations of them. I felt like I was giving back something to this wonderful community that is so much fun to be a part of. I also coordinated a few group projects and that was good too.

In 2010 I hope to finish my first solo. It's going slowly but I'll get there in the end. I've already got my second solo project picked out! I'm also hoping to graduate from uni, so I'll have more time to spend on Librivox. I'd like to get back to BCing the weekly poem, and to finally BC Sylvie and Bruno concluded so that both halves of it will be in the catalogue for listeners.
So little space, so much to say.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Great idea! If I can come up with any thoughts 'n' stuff, I'll record them for you.

I am also delighted to read aloud any emails/PMs/posts from non-recording persons for you :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Cori, I confess to taking the easy way out and am sending you Lucy's post read by myself :roll:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Sigh. I still have everyone's kind responses to my 'Solo vs collab' questions. "Just" need to edit and present. I'll try to get it done this year. Sorry sorry!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Great Plains

Post by Great Plains »

Gesine wrote:Sigh. I still have everyone's kind responses to my 'Solo vs collab' questions. "Just" need to edit and present. I'll try to get it done this year. Sorry sorry!
Sorry for my inexcusable cluelessness, but what's this?
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Gesine, you could make the raw stuff available and as for others to help edit?
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

Cori wrote: Podcast #108: 2009 - The Review!
  • ...someone to record it for you. Sung versions especially welcome!!!
well, if you want a song... there are a couple of Esperanto songs in my soon-to-be-released solo recording of Alicio en Mirlando, the Esperanto-version of "Alice in Wonderland"!!! It will soon be the first complete Esperanto-language book to be recorded for Librivox. :D
Cori wrote:Podcast #109: 2010 - It's going to be a great year!
  • Due date for contributions: Weds 30th Dec, 1pm Brit time. (see a countdown here!)
  • Things I'd love to hear: Crazy predictions. Projects you'd love to start. Books you'd love to hear read. Things you're looking forward to. Your own revolutions/resolutions, if you make them, and if they're at all LibriVoxy (or funny.)
I would love to see something about the language learning books initiative and the projects that have already started and/or been completed in that initiative. :) I'm also pretty happy about the two Thornton Chase books that I've recently completed as solo projects, both of which were published 100 years ago. In Galilee was originally published in 1908 and the Bahai Revelation in 1909. Previously there was only one Baha'i-related book on Librivox, which I recorded in 2007.

But anyway, just some suggestions. I don't want to give the impression of being too self-promoting here. ;)
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Nicholas19 wrote:I would love to see something about the language learning books initiative and the projects that have already started and/or been completed in that initiative. :) I'm also pretty happy about the two Thornton Chase books that I've recently completed as solo projects, both of which were published 100 years ago. In Galilee was originally published in 1908 and the Bahai Revelation in 1909. Previously there was only one Baha'i-related book on Librivox, which I recorded in 2007.
That all sounds great, Nicholas ... could be two separate sections (favourite own projects, fav. general themes) or one single piece. Please do record something! (Could pop in excerpts from different languages, if you felt it fitted or if you wanted other voices in the mix.)
Cori

Post by Cori »

BUMP!

I'm still collecting contributions for next week's show -- looks like we'll need to say something about 3000 recordings, perhaps. ;) I won't be reciting my own epic bad poetry this time, either, in case that's worrying anyone. :lol:
Nicholas19

Post by Nicholas19 »

I've prepared a contribution myself... Leni said she might give some comments related to the language learning resources initiative, so I'm just waiting for that.
Nicholas J. Bridgewater

"The earth is but one country and mankind its citizens."
- Baha'u'llah
See: http://bahai.org/

Some Answered Questions.
The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Vol. I.
An Elementary Greek Grammar.
DeRamos

Post by DeRamos »

Cori wrote:Projects you'd love to start. Books you'd love to hear read. Things you're looking forward to. Your own revolutions/resolutions, if you make them, and if they're at all LibriVoxy (or funny.)
A couple minutes of me sort of talking http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/cs/podcast_109_deramos.mp3 :lol:
Ryan DeRamos
LibriVox Instagram Blog
Cori

Post by Cori »

Smashing, thankyou!
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Nicholas19 wrote:I've prepared a contribution myself... Leni said she might give some comments related to the language learning resources initiative, so I'm just waiting for that.
I will try and record something today/tomorrow about the foreign languages initiative! I haven't forgotten (just having a very busy time here...) :|
Leni
=================