[OK] Jane Eyre (version 3) Chapter 28 unfinished

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
katprocrastinate

Post by katprocrastinate »

I really am enjoying this version of it but the running time for Chapter 28 is only 00:43:10. I have the physical copy of the book, luckily and when the mp3 abruptly cut off I checked my copy and it had missed several ending pages of the chapter.

Here is the link to the catalogue page: http://librivox.org/jane-eyre-version-3-by-charlotte-bronte/

Several times before I have downloaded previous chapters of this version and they have cut off, but after re-downloading them, it seemed to have sorted itself out and ran to the running time stated on the catalogue page. However, this time this is not the case. On the catalogue page it says 43:10 and the mp3 runs to that time, but it does NOT conclude the chapter.

If I am mistaken or if there is some explanation, please correct me, but I think it may need to be re-recorded (a pain, I know) but I don't want anyone else to get confused by this. And not all of us have the physical copy, so the fault could have easily gone unnoticed.

Many thanks. :)
[color=red]KATxProcrastinate[/color]
[url]http://tinyurl.com/audiokat[/url]
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

This is a mystery, Kat. Do you hear Elizabeth saying "End of Chapter 28"?

Chapter 28 on the Gutenberg text ends with the words "I thanked God—experienced amidst unutterable exhaustion a glow of grateful joy—and slept." The recording does too. (The Google Books version is the same. What are the last lines of Chapter 28 in your copy?

Chapter 29 commences "The recollection of about three days and nights succeeding this is very dim in my mind."

Would you compare your hard copy, and see if you possibly have a different edition?

(I listened to the 64KB version of the single file, but I have checked file lengths in the zip file and it seems to be OK, too.)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
katprocrastinate

No, I don't hear "end of Chapter 28". My last words are "besides, intruders past near me more than once, and I had again...".

However, my copy (the Penguin Popular Classics one) ends the same way as the Gutenburg text edition. My Chapter 29 (hard copy and audiobook) also begins the same way as the Gutenburg edition. So, there is no issue with my Chapter 29, only with the ending on 28.

I may try downloading it again and seeing if I have the same problem. I will report back once I've done it. :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Yes, do try downloading again. I just downloaded it without problems, so it does sound as if your download was incomplete for some reason. Can't understand the file length being correct though.

Ruth
katprocrastinate

How perculiar! I downloaded mp3@64kbps - 20.7MB version and it's fine! The version I had before was the mp3@128kpbs - 41.4MB one so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with this version? :)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I've just downloaded the 128 kbps file, and it is OK. Must have been a gremlin on your original download, I think. It happens occasionally. ;) I'm glad you now have the complete file. :D

Ruth