Thankyou buttons

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
FNH

Post by FNH »

Wouldn't it be nice for all of the web pages of the finished books to have a "thankyou" button ( and maybe show a count ). People could then choose to just click the button by way of a thankyou for producing the book.

http://CthulhuPodcast.co.uk
http://WriteTheFirstDraft.blogspot.com
kayray

Post by kayray »

FNH wrote:Wouldn't it be nice for all of the web pages of the finished books to have a "thankyou" button ( and maybe show a count ). People could then choose to just click the button by way of a thankyou for producing the book.

What a nifty idea! I'd like that very much.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

Yes, that really is a nifty idea. :9:
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Sounds good. I'm not sure where on the page it would fit though.
So little space, so much to say.
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

There's a WordPress plug-in that would work for the catalog page.

Have to pass it by the Mighty SysAdm first, though. :)

Jim
kayray

Post by kayray »

I'll ask Dan if it would eat server resources or anything. And yeah, Jim, let's get feedback from some other admins!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I'm assuming the number of "thank you's" received would be displayed somewhere. :)

Volunteers should be able to know they are appreciated, as long as it doesn't turn into a competition!

It would be good if the numbers for a book were only displayed on the catelong page for that book, not summarized anywhere.
Steampunk

Post by Steampunk »

That particular plug-in shows the number next to the button. And the button is page-specific.

It also can be configured to deny multiple hits from the same IP address, so it's harder to artificially inflate the numbers.

It would eat up some SQL space. But not much, I shouldn't think.

Jim

[disclaimer: I'm not endorsing, just reporting.] :)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Love the idea!! :9:

Esther :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

This kind of idea has been discussed a couple of times - essentially a "thumbs-up, I like this" note of approval for a recording (vs ratings or comments, which have "chilling effect" problems with them ... ie negative comments scare away volunteers).

I think I am in favour - a means giving positive feedback to books people particularly like, though I am a little concerned about unintended consequences...So I lean to yea, but am open to nays as well.

If there is a wp plugin - that makes it pretty easy to test. If we don't like it we can uninstall ;-)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Sounds like a good idea though I can see it turning into -- not a competition exactly, but people will certainly follow their numbers and some might worry if they aren't very high. I'm trying to envision a "thank you" button on a project at Gutenberg (can't do it too well, lol); I wouldn't want it to feel like an obligation or a solicitation.

edited to add: I wouldn't want the number of thank-you's to be shown -- that would invite comparison and I don't think that would be a good thing. Which leads to the question: where would the thanks go? Directly to the soloist or BC?
Laurie Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I feel its against what we are trying to do - yes it would be nice to know someone appreciated the book , but we do keep saying that this site is about reading the books , not about people listening to them , and that reading some rare book in a language spoken in Antarctica is just as valuable as "Jane Austen", "Anne of Green Gables" and "the Art of War".
And we know which would get the most button pushes.
Whatever we did it would turn into a competition amongst some people - look at what happens with post counts :roll:
And it does seem somewhat hypocritical to ask for "thumbs up" and refuse to allow "thumbs down"

Anne
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

annise wrote:, and that reading some rare book in a language spoken in Antarctica is just as valuable as "Jane Austen", "Anne of Green Gables" and "the Art of War".
And we know which would get the most button pushes.
Which is why I like to do those rarer books no one else is recording. I want to turn people on to the good and great "no-name" books. On the other hand, if I saw a thanks for bringing this book to someone's attention, I'd feel all the more vindicated.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
FNH

Post by FNH »

Even if the thankyous were just totaled up together to give a monthly total it would be a nice touch.
http://CthulhuPodcast.co.uk
http://WriteTheFirstDraft.blogspot.com
icyjumbo

Post by icyjumbo »

I wonder whether it might be possible for the Thank You button to give the thanker an opportunity to write a message to the reader(s), etc. Not compulsory, of course, but then there would be something to send other than "Someone clicked your thank you button".