[COMPLETE]On Nothing &Kindred Subjects, Hilaire Belloc -

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi Wandering - all is fine thru "The Hermit."

On the last one, though, the volume seems to have been set very high, and there is some distortion and background noise. You might want to take a listen. :)
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Section 27 10:02 9.4MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/onnothing_27_hilairebelloc.mp3

Yes, I have gone through my third headset, and started a new one. I think I have the settings about right now. They are all so different. Do you think I need to read Section 26 over again. I don't think it can be easily cleaned up. I could try a low pass filter on it.

Ray
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi there - "On a Fairy Castle" was just fine, as usual.

Sec 26 is same as before. I tried to take a screen shot of the wave form in audacity, but couldn't get that to work.

You usual profile, as in Sec 27, fits nicely within the graph leaving some empty space at the edge. On the other hand, they bump up against the very edge of the screen in Sec 26. The graph is only meaningful as relates to the sound - it make the sound mildly fuzzy. It's within LibriVox standards, just not up to your usual.

This isn't a contest, but do you realize you are LibriVox's 23rd most prolific reader in terms of sections, with 508 completed? If that makes work for me, then that is what I am here for! :)

And you are gratifying all those Chesterton fans, of which I am one! When I read Chesterton myself, I hear him speaking in your voice. :)
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

While I don't see the amplitude problem you describe, with the waveform running from +0.5 to -0.5 on my screen, I do see clipping and a sharpness in the recording that is harsh. I think the only think to do is record it again with the settings for Section 27. Also, I didn't mean to mislead, the version of Section 26 uploaded has never changed. I did try to make a number of filtering changes, and none were much of an improvement. So, I never uploaded a different version. I'll do it today.

Ray
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

New recording of Section 26 11:55 11.2MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/onnothing_26_hilairebelloc.mp3

I hope this works better. Thanks for the help with this.
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Wandering, Secs 26 and 28 are just fine!
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but during the editing of section 29, I found my third headset going in and out. Aligned with this was really poor audio quality. I have tried it on two other machines with similar results, so it's definitely the headset and not the computer I use for LibriVox. So, I hope to get out to buy yet another set this weekend. It may be awhile before I make a new recording. I have tried moderate priced and outright cheap sets, with the best performance from the cheap ones, but no life. I only use it about an hour per day. Oh well. I don't know what I'll come up with next.

Ray
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Oh, that's it!

At some point a book or two before this one, I began noticing a slight background hiss.

It was OK by LibriVox standards, but I tried running it through Audacity noise cleaning, and since the recording sounded better afterward, I kept right on cleaning them. I figure a regular and dependable contributor deserves a few breaks - so I didn't bother to call it to your attention until one came along I couldn't fix!

We'll still be here whenever you can get another headset :)
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Section 29 12:26 11.7MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/onnothing_29_hilairebelloc.mp3

Well, here goes with a brand new headset. It sounds better to me, and it certainly shows little background noise. Let me know.

Ray
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Section 30 8:08 7.6MB

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/onnothing_30_hilairebelloc.mp3

Two more sections to go. So, we have one too many on the list.

I hope the new sound is working.
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Section 32 11:38 10.9MB _ Last Section

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/onnothing_32_hilairebelloc.mp3

I will post "Europe and the Faith" this afternoon. As always no rush to set it up. I won't start recording again till Monday.

Ray
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Apparently kmerline is away from the computer for a while. I'm not sure when she'll be back.

Would you like me to PL the last few sections, or would you rather wait for her?
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Wandering

Post by Wandering »

Tricia,

Thank you for your wonderful offer. I do appreciate the very helpful atitutide that seems to abound at LibriVox.

I just got an email from Karen yesterday, and it seems she's having some problems with her ISP, that may be sorted out shortly. I suppose it would be best to just wait a few more days.

Again, thanks for the offer of help.

Ray