On copyright stuff - using gigapedia

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Create

Post by Create »

Hello everyone!
As you may well see I'm a newcomer and I try to find out as much as possible about this interesting source in the Web (personally I call it "goldmine") - I've noticed that people mainly take texts from gutenberg.org and archive.org - and that it is somehow connected with public domain stuff. I wonder, if it is possible to give a sound to a downloaded book from some other site - well, I guess, many of you do know another goldmine in the Web - gigapedia.com (indeed, an incredibly large collection of books - mind it's not an advertisement!) - I'm just curious whether 'tis possible to give a sound to one of their books or not (if it's okay with its copyright, of course)?

Many thanks!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I had never heard of it. I took a quick peek, and got no explanation at all on the site. It looks like you have to register to see the book texts?

If that's the case, we probably wouldn't use it, since the texts we use need to be freely accessible - as much as possible, anyway.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone else will weigh in.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Something about this makes me feel uncomfortable. Googling it brings up a load of weird stat-based sites, and no positive information. It has a kind of piratey feel about it, which is why I won't actually go to it.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Well I did look at it - but it just appears to be a collection of links and I did feel I was probably being taken for a ride to raise numbers at the best

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

It looks to me a lot like a book review / information aggregation site -- I clicked through to the only thing I could find that was public domain (and that's in the UK, I know it's copyright in the US) and there were no download links, just some reviews stolen from Amazon. (i.e. they don't acknowledge that source.) Info about another book came from barnesandnoble.com.

Not okay, IMO.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Create

Post by Create »

Thank you for your replies!
But I did mean another thing. I had idea of uploading the text of the book to google docs and by this having it prepared for using. Would THAT be OK? No-one would ever visit gigapedia! I would only take the texts, that aren't on gutenberg.
I don't mean to do a bad turn - I only analyze the variants.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It'd be better to upload it to archive.org.

Google Documents are more temporary, and generally aren't used as a permanent text source.

That said, if you have a hard copy of a book that's public domain, you can read from it. I'm not totally sure of the process, but you can verify the PD'ness of the book via the lawyers at Gutenberg.org and then read it here.

Then if you want to stick the chapters into Google documents for the purpose of proof-listening, that works well. I often divide group project sections and make them into Google documents, because they make it easier for the reader.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Create

Post by Create »

Thank you, TriciaG!
I have the idea now. I think I just need to check the PD'ness :D of the book.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

What's the book, Create?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

What I did when I had a text that I knew was pd, was scan each page and posted them to archive. Later in the year, someone from gutenberg took my images and posted the book on their site!

http://www.archive.org/details/HurlbutsBibleLessons

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/29067

Esther :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Create wrote:Thank you for your replies!
But I did mean another thing. I had idea of uploading the text of the book to google docs and by this having it prepared for using. Would THAT be OK? No-one would ever visit gigapedia! I would only take the texts, that aren't on gutenberg.
We do record books from many sites other than Gutenberg - Internet Archive being a good source if you are careful about the book being pd.

When I need to partition long, undivided texts, I generally split up a copy of the big file myself in a text editor, upload the files to my google docs account, arrange for sharing, and post file links in the project - so google docs is very useable.

If you mean to put the whole book file on Google docs, though, there are size limits and only certain file types are allowed.

Also, if your e-text source is on the web in the first place, it's much simpler just to post the direct link.
Create

Post by Create »

kmerline wrote:
Create wrote:Thank you for your replies!
We do record books from many sites other than Gutenberg - Internet Archive being a good source if you are careful about the book being pd.

When I need to partition long, undivided texts, I generally split up a copy of the big file myself in a text editor, upload the files to my google docs account, arrange for sharing, and post file links in the project - so google docs is very useable.

If you mean to put the whole book file on Google docs, though, there are size limits and only certain file types are allowed.

Also, if your e-text source is on the web in the first place, it's much simpler just to post the direct link.
Yes, I see. Thank you very much! Thank you all for your help! It is now much clearer for me.
And, RuthieG, I did expressed myself unclearly, as I am non-native speaker; I meant "of A book". I didn't mean any certain book, because I didn't choose it yet.
Thanks for help again!