1000 Members

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
nomenphile

Post by nomenphile »

Sound the trumpets. Release the baloons. Librivox has 1000 members!
Nomenphile
a.k.a. "The Hungry Ear"
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

hooray!
Kaffen

Post by Kaffen »

I was scrolling through the member list today, and I was struck by how many people have NO POSTS. These people were interested enough to register, but they haven't become involved. We've got a stronger reader base out there than we're using... Can anyone think of how to reach out to these folks and get them reading? :D
- Mark

"In narrating everything is simple, but it's the simple things that are difficult." (Apologies to von Clausewitz!)
Mark's Librivoxings
kri

Post by kri »

That's a good question Mark. I've noticed that no-poster phenomenon for a while, and I honestly can't think of a thing to encourage them. I think some people may think they need to sign up to read, and others may sign up for a username just so they can read the forums and see which posts have updated since their last visit. Then there are others who sign up with the intention of reading I'm sure, but never do. I wonder what the percentage of people with no posts those are.

I honestly have no idea how we could encourage the no-posters to help in some way, record, or even post!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

The only thing I can think of... is to collect the email addresses of the no-posters and send out an email to everyone saying something along the lines of "You indicated an interest in this amazing global project, but we notice you haven't posted to any of the forums. Come on over and give us a try!"

That would, however, be fairly tedious. If anyone's got a better idea?

-Catharine
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

I guess they have to post an email address to register. But seriously, why *DO* they have to volunteer? My thoughts on Librivox (correct me if I am wrong) is that it is TOTALY FREE as in "no string attatched". Also there may be MANY people with reading disabilities accessing our site who are barely able to read the posts and catalogue.

Free- to volunteer
to download
to browse
to do just about anything here.

Just MY two cents worth :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kri

Post by kri »

No no Starlite, we're not saying they have to volunteer. We're saying, how do we entice them to volunteer :)
MermaidMaddie

Post by MermaidMaddie »

kri wrote:No no Starlite, we're not saying they have to volunteer. We're saying, how do we entice them to volunteer :)
*Hopefully* if we raise enough hoopla about the anniversary and all that Librivox has accomplished in just the first year, it will inspire more people to get involved. :D

I know it was mentioned somewhere in the anniversary planning thread, but is anyone giving any more thought to publicity for the anniversary? That's sure to be one way to draw new people in (to see what all the fuss is about) and hopefully bring people who've been absent back too. :) And then hopefully they'll see all of the stuff that's going on and want to stay and join in the craziness...err, fun. :D
[color=green]"Elphaba, where I'm from, we believe all sorts of things that aren't true...we call it 'history'. "[/color]

[url=http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/MermaidMaddie][color=purple]MermaidMaddie's Wiki Page[/color][/url]
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

yes the secret problem is that more people = more admin requirements.... that's ok, as long as there are enough librivox addicts suitable & willing to be admin, but it is a delicate balance we have to walk, to make sure we don't grow too quickly & collapse under the weight of newbies.

but yes indeed there will be some publicity for the 1yr anniversary.

& don;t worry about all the one-or-no posters ... there are so many doing recordings, those are the people to coddle!
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Just out of curiosity, when did LibriVox first start on the blog and when did it migrate here to WordPress?

Hugh, what kind of publicity for the anniversary?
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman