COMPLETE: [RELIGION] St Irenaeus Against Heresies - le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

jennydisini wrote:have uploaded a test recording for your assessment (am unsure if the settings are correct).

I'm new to garageband and wasn't able to locate where to set the sample rate.

and did i correctly pronounced "marcionites"?

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/1.iraneus.mp3
You sound great Jenny - don't worry. Ante-Nicene church fathers are not exactly easy reading to begin with..!!

The only thing that I saw is that it looks like you recorded this in stereo. We ask that you record in mono. Everything other than that, your bit rate, sample rate, etc, look just fine. I think you are good to go :D

Strictly speaking, I believe Marcion should be pronounced "Mar-KEE-own", but everybody anglicizes these old names in all sorts of different ways. I pronounce Marcion as an old professor of mine did, "MAR-see-own", but to each their own if you ask me.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

jennydisini wrote:Hi, is this the way to say the ff:?

Sige (see-gee) (see-jay)?
Arche (ar-kee)
Sofia (so-fee-ya) or (so-fi-ya)
Aeons (a-yons) or (e-ons)
Bythus (bee-thus) or (bi-thus)?

demiurge (demi-urge) or (demi-urgy)?

pls advise. thanks!
:lol: - welcome to the wonderful world of Christian Gnosticism..!! You can download and listen to some of the earlier sections of this book to hear me struggle with the same words - also, in one of the early replies in this thread, I think I put down a list of what all these words mean - you might find that interesting.

Here is how I believe these words are pronounced:

Sige sig-EE
Arche ar-KEE
Sofia so-FEE-ah
Aeons AYE-owns
Bythus BITH-oos

demiurge this one is pretty much how it looks - demi-urge, rhymes with semi-purge.

In a brief nutshell, the Christian gnostics believed that the god of the old testament and the creator of our world was an imperfect diety who was far removed from the true perfect God. They call this imperfect god the demiurge. This demiurge and our world is seperated from the perfect God by a series of eminations called Aeons. The Aeons have names like Sige (silence), Arche (beginning), and Bythus (depth or profundity), and many others. The Aeons make up the Pleroma, or the fullness of cosmic being. The demiurge goes by several names, and his mother is Sophia (wisdom).

I hope that explains a little bit about those words. Feel free to ask more questions if you need help
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

jennydisini wrote:the link is:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/againsttheheresies_50_robertsrambaut.mp3

Section 50

Time: 20:12

hope it'll do. :)
Great! thanks, jenny
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Sec 43 aned 46 are just fine, Joe. :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Well done on Sec 50, Jenny!
composr

Post by composr »

Hello all,

I would love to help with sections 48 and 49 for the moment.

Since I'm "composr" everywhere I go, I might as well retain that here. :D
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

composr wrote:Hello all,

I would love to help with sections 48 and 49 for the moment.

Since I'm "composr" everywhere I go, I might as well retain that here. :D
Hi composr, welcome to Librivox!! I have you down for sections 48 and 49. A good idea for you since this is your first recording, is to submit a short, 10 sec or so, test recording here, just so you can figure out how to record, edit and submit, and get the kinks worked out. I look forward to hearing your recordings..!!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

composr

Post by composr »

JoeD wrote: Aeons AYE-owns

While I completely agree with this pronunciation for accuracy, the way this is used often in mythology/fantasy and in many theological circles is as Jenny described it, "Ey-ons". Though this is my small little observation, take it with granis salis magnus.

I'm all for uniformity, though, and will happily go with the flow. :)

And thanks for the recommendation, I'll upload a sample recording later in the day.
composr

Post by composr »

I have uploaded my test to:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/againstheresies_48-test_robertsrambaut.mp3

Hopefully I didn't screw too many things up yet :)

Let me know if I need to do/change anything before recording the text. Many thanks!