Error In Mark Twain

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
Pavel Suharev

Post by Pavel Suharev »

There is error in 'The man that corrupted...' by M. Twain , chapter 'Private history of the 'jumping frog' story' , file #30 (man_30_twain, 8:00 ) I think
Please check
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

[Split from the Around the Equator project thread]

What kind of error?
Last edited by TriciaG on October 26th, 2009, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Section 30 of this http://librivox.org/the-man-that-corrupted-hadleyburg-and-other-stories-by-mark-twain/ you mean? I'll listen around the 8 min mark and see if I can hear what you mean.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Oh, you're right - it certainly doesn't follow the Gutenberg text there, anyway. Let me see if I can work out what's happened.
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

Ok, it's an editing error and a small section will need rerecording to fix it.

At 8:00-8:29, we have:
'Possible that you not it saw not,' said Smiley; 'possible that you—you comprehend frogs; possible that you not you there comprehend nothing; possible that you had of the experience, and possible that you not be but an amateur. Of all manner (de toute maniere) I bet forty dollars that she batter in jumping no matter which frog of the country of Calaveras.'

The individual reflected a second,
(a segment from later in the recording - it recurs at its proper place as it should).

What we should have is:
You never see a frog so modest and straightfor'ard as he was, for all he was so gifted. And when it come to fair and square jumping on a dead level, he could get over more ground at one straddle than any animal of his breed you ever see. Jumping on a dead level was his strong suit, you understand; and when it came to that, Smiley would ante up money on him as long as he had a red. Smiley was monstrous proud of his frog, and well he might be,
Thanks for letting us know of the problem, Pavel. Hopefully the original reader will be able to make the correction. I will send him a Private Message.

Edit - have PMed both the reader and the original MC
Pavel Suharev

Post by Pavel Suharev »

I had listened there nearly all books by M. Twain from that reader (John Green) - Huckberry..., Mississipi..., Roughing It, Innocent..., The boys life.., Chapter from my autobioraphy, Tramp abroad, Personal recollection..., Connecticut yanke..., The man that... and I found only one editing error from him !
johng

Post by johng »

Pavel!!! and everyone else who is helping!!
Thank you SO MUCH for letting us know about this error!!
As you may know there is a LOT of back and forth communicating between several people to try to make sure errors of this type don't happen...but sometimes...welll...we screw up.
As a definitive audio record of public domain written material, the files should be as close to perfect a possible...so corrections are ALWAYS in order.

FYI, my proof listener, Joy, and I are working with Project Gutenberg on correcting their text of Twain's "Following the Equator" as I record it for Librivox. This summer I finished doing the same for "Huckleberry Finn"

It's a labor of love!!!

Thanks again! The correction has been made and will be placed on the web within a couple days!
:-)
-John
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
Pavel Suharev

Post by Pavel Suharev »

I saw small error in "Personal Recollection of..." (one sentence absent ?) but I can't find this place now
And it is good make reference on the SECOND volume 'Personal recollection...' to Gutenberg, not only on the FIRST volume ...
or one can upload HALF of book and went on the vacation as I did :)
Pavel Suharev

Post by Pavel Suharev »

Johng : 'Thank you SO MUCH '
------------------
No problem, it is much easier listen than to record :)
johng

Post by johng »

Pavel Suharev wrote:I saw small error in "Personal Recollection of..." (one sentence absent ?) but I can't find this place now
And it is good make reference on the SECOND volume 'Personal recollection...' to Gutenberg, not only on the FIRST volume ...
I would be VERY much in your debt (as I already am) if there were some way you could find that error again...even an approximate idea of what the discussion was at or around the time of the error.

As for the "second volume", .... without having listened to the book again, I'm confused about what is needed.

If there is not, should there have been a reference at the beginning of each chapter of the second volume, that this chapter is in the second volume?

Again thanks for your feed-back!
;-)
John
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
Pavel Suharev

Post by Pavel Suharev »

I'll try to find this chapter from "Personal rec..." but I can't do it now... I think it in the first volume(but i can't state for sure) and I remember exactly it was the LAST (!) sentence in chapter
I don't remember also what text from Gutenberg I used (HTML or plain text(- maybe they have difference ?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Pavel Suharev wrote:I saw small error in "Personal Recollection of..." (one sentence absent ?) but I can't find this place now
Ah, I see! The catalogue page only gives the online text link for Volume 1. I have added the link for Volume 2 also. Thanks, Pavel. :)

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
johng

Post by johng »

Pavel Suharev wrote:I'll try to find this chapter from "Personal rec..." but I can't do it now... I think it in the first volume(but i can't state for sure) and I remember exactly it was the LAST (!) sentence in chapter
I don't remember also what text from Gutenberg I used (HTML or plain text(- maybe they have difference ?
whenever you can get to it...that would be fine!
:-)
-J
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I think I may have found it.

On the Project Gutenberg text (both plain text and HTML versions), Chapter 27 of Volume 1 ends:
From everywhere in the packed streets the new recruits squeezed their way to her side to touch the sword of Joan of Arc.
On the recording, there is an additional clause in that sentence:
From everywhere in the packed streets the new recruits squeezed their way to her side to touch the sword of Joan of Arc and draw from it somewhat of that mysterious quality which made it invinicble.
Both online text and the recording (Section 36 comprising Chapter 28) then commence Volume 2 identically.

Were you possibly reading from a slightly different edition, John?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
johng

Post by johng »

RuthieG wrote:I think I may have found it.

On the Project Gutenberg text (both plain text and HTML versions), Chapter 27 of Volume 1 ends:
From everywhere in the packed streets the new recruits squeezed their way to her side to touch the sword of Joan of Arc.
On the recording, there is an additional clause in that sentence:
From everywhere in the packed streets the new recruits squeezed their way to her side to touch the sword of Joan of Arc and draw from it somewhat of that mysterious quality which made it invinicble.
Both online text and the recording (Section 36 comprising Chapter 28) then commence Volume 2 identically.

Were you possibly reading from a slightly different edition, John?

Ruth
yes...see:
http://books.google.com/books?id=vS7Y9hb7ZW0C&pg=PA165&lpg=PA165&dq=%22side+to+touch+the+sword+of+Joan+of+Arc+and+draw+from+it%22&source=bl&ots=u-sowOE_qA&sig=ObbwZ8o-pE5v--3oUnL9ssRslrQ&hl=en&ei=pinnSoC1NNGSlAfX8tCICA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22side%20to%20touch%20the%20sword%20of%20Joan%20of%20Arc%20and%20draw%20from%20it%22&f=false

page 165
This is a Project Gutenberg error...which I must have missed telling them about....I don't know.
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha