[Resolved] David Copperfield

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Indeed this file has problems:
http://ia311041.us.archive.org/3/items/David_Copperfield_0805_librivox2/davidcopperfield_36_dickens_64kb.mp3
Dear LibriVox editors/coordinators,

Firstly, I'd like to say I think that LibriVox is a wonderful project and thank you for your commitment to it. I stumbled across LibriVox about a week ago and after listening to a number of recordings (pretty much every spare moment I get), was inspired to sign up and volunteer. After investigating how the whole process works, I have a huge admiration for the dedication of everyone involved.

Secondly, I'd like to give some feedback on the podcast I've been listening to. I've been listening to David Copperfield (details below) and have enjoyed it immensely so far. While I note that there are reader idiosyncracies, the difficult recordings have largely been intelligible with a little patience. That was, until I reached Chapter 36 (Enthusiasm). A lot of this recording is distorted by speeding up, slowing down, increasing/decreasing volume and frequent clipping of words, making it very difficult to understand.

If this is not just due to a corruption of the file or something you can easily fix in editing/re-uploading, I am happy to re-record the chapter for LibriVox. Just let me know where to find the version of the text used and how to send the recording to you.

---
Name of Book: David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Chapter/Section Number: Chapter 36 - Enthusiasm
File format: mp3
How you downloaded the file: podcast download from iTunes
Nature of problem: popping sounds, words clipped, file sped up/ slowed down.
Time or times-location of problems (if possible): throughout the recording
---
Last edited by hugh on February 7th, 2010, 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

We've had this complaint before - should I get another recording for an alternate version? I will, unless someone objects - I'd like to put it to rest.
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

You might check with the reader to see if a) he has another version, or b) would like to rerecord.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

The reader recorded only that single section - but I'll try anyway. :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

hugh, since I've had no answer from the reader, I'd like to look for another volunteer to record the objectionable chapter in David Copperfield - is that OK?
Cori

Post by Cori »

Could we perhaps contact the person who sent the original email, since they volunteered to record..? Might be nice to hear them..?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Excellent idea. Hugh, do you want to contact him/her, or shall I? I'll need their forum id or e-mail address . . .
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

e-mailed volunteer! she has agreed to read the chapter within the next couple to weeks. :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I received the recorded section today from May Low - beautifully done!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I'm in the process of uploading the completed chapter.