COMPLETE Nobody's boy by Hector Malot -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aravis

Post by aravis »

Nobody's Boy by Hector Malot (1830- 1907)
Translated by Florence Crewe-Jones (1878 - 1940)

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/nobodys-boy-by-hector-malot/

This is an abandoned solo, brought back as a group project. Carolin is acting as BC.
One day, French mason Jerome Barberin finds an abandoned baby boy. As the boy is wearing fine clothes, Barberin hopes that he is the son of rich parents who will reclaim him soon and offer a reward to Barberin for taking care of him. He therefore brings the boy home to his wife, and gives him the name Remi.

'However, no rich parents ever turn up to reclaim Remi. Instead, the family falls on hard times and Barberin wants to get rid of the boy. When Remi is eight years old, Barberin sees his chance in the travelling artist Signor Vitalis, who is travelling through France with his three dogs and a monkey. Vitalis offers to take care of Remi, and they travel on together. While Vitalis is a kind master and teaches Remi lots of useful skills, the two also suffer poverty, and Remi still lacks knowledge of his true heritage. Summary by Carolin, with help from Wikipedia.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/25102
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Nobody's boy. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "Nobody's boy, Hector Malot. Translated by Florence Crewe-Jones. [Chapter number and title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Nobody's Boy, by Hector Malot. Translated by Florence Crewe-Jones."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  7. Example filename
    nobodysboy_##_malot_128kb.mp3
  8. Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below :D
Last edited by aravis on August 6th, 2010, 9:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Elli,
here I am as promessed. 2 little comments:
1. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 33.
Does the project have an introduction: Yes, a short introduction- to be recorded in the first section with chapter 1.
2. Date of first publication: 1878.
Note: the english translation from which I'll read has been published in 1916.
Year of author's death: 1907.
Year of translater's death: unknown.
We will write a better summary later, if you want.
These things are so minor, but in my own projects- I insist to write them correctly and acuretly. Yu can choose not to change them as I propose. I am sure we will enjoy working together, but tell me if my insistance on little changes annoys you.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Stav!

Great to have you here! Thanks again for suggesting the book and for DPLing! :D

All changes are made! 8-)

Elli
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Elli,
now the templet looks wonderful. Thank you for choosing to read this wonderful book. Enjoy and good luck.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Hi Elli,

I'm your MC for this project.
(Ich hoffe, Du kannst mich noch ertragen :wink: )

Off to prepare the MW ...

EDIT: MW up and running. We move to Going Solo as soon as you have seen this.

Happy recording :D
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Hokupokus!

Thanks so much for MCing this!!! :D
Hokuspokus wrote: ...(Ich hoffe, Du kannst mich noch ertragen :wink: )...
Natürlich!!!! :9: (Arbeite unglaublich gern mit dir zusammen... bin wirklich froh, dass du mein 3. Solo auch betreust!)

Lg. Elli :D
Elli

Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

aravis wrote:
Natürlich!!!! :9: (Arbeite unglaublich gern mit dir zusammen... bin wirklich froh, dass du mein 3. Solo auch betreust!)

Lg. Elli :D
:9: Danke, ebenso :D
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi!

Chapter 1 is uploading! (Feedback is very welcome!) :D

Elli
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi!

Chapter 2 is on it's way too!

Elli :D
Elli

miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Hi Elli,
section 1 is great. This book is so lovely, and your reading is very nice. Both of you know german, remember that I don't. Just translate to english everything you say in this thread in german, I want to join the conversation. Also, please add something before the title in the topic of the first post. How about something like [Romance] Nobody's Boy... It would make it less confusing at least for me.
Stav.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

CHapter 2 is great.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Whoops... sorry about the German!

Thanks for PLing, Stav! (MW updated to say PL:OK)

I'm not really sure about the genre yet... I guess sth. like fiction or childrens or so might fit!

Elli

Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

Gutenberg has Adventure as subject/genre.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hokuspokus wrote:Gutenberg has Adventure as subject/genre.
Thanks, Hokuspokus! Never thought to look there! :roll:

Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Chapter 3 is uploading! :D

Elli
Elli