LV and Music: Incompetech

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

Hey there,

I've been away from the audiobook world for a while and participating in it's sister, audio drama. A friend of mine, Julie Hoverson, who produces her own audio podcast (19 Nocturne Boulevard) led me to a site called Incompetech, whose owner, one Kevin Mcleod, produces royalty-free music for things like this.

Long story short, he's got a LOT of it there, and all he asks is a credit and an optional donation. I'd like to use some of it in some Poe readings I'll be doing for LV. I've read the wiki and it seems kosher, any other problems I should know about?

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

SmokestackJones wrote:I've read the wiki and it seems kosher, any other problems I should know about?
Yes, I'm afraid. This music is not in the Public Domain and cannot be used in Librivox recordings.
The Incompetech FAQ wrote:Is this music in the Public Domain?
No. Though some of the baroque and classical compositions are in the public domain; these recordings are not.
Sorry. :(

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
SmokestackJones

Post by SmokestackJones »

RuthieG wrote:
SmokestackJones wrote:I've read the wiki and it seems kosher, any other problems I should know about?
Yes, I'm afraid. This music is not in the Public Domain and cannot be used in Librivox recordings.
The Incompetech FAQ wrote:Is this music in the Public Domain?
No. Though some of the baroque and classical compositions are in the public domain; these recordings are not.
Sorry. :(

Ruth
Damn.

Once again I mistake Creative Commons for PD. Sorry.

-SJ
If I'm not me, who am I? And if I'm somebody else, why do I look like me?
-Popeye

Beblach!

My DVD Collection
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

How difficult would it be to add a run of midi harpsichord or organ to heighten suspense ala the old radio shows? It's not really music, just a sound effect.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It wouldn't be at all difficult to add it.

However, any music adds at least another two layers of copyright checking - the music and the performance or creation (and yes, that applies to midis too) - which are frequently very hard to check.

So we discourage the addition of music, and definitely do not allow any music which is laid over the text itself.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding