By Conduct and Courage: GA Henty

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
von

Post by von »

I am thinking of recording 'By Conduct and Courage' by G A Henty. I am willing to go solo, but wouldn't mind collaborators if others wanted to come in. I am sure the GA Henty books will be well recieved.

Edit: etext - http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28357
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hi, von! I'll move this post over to Book Suggestions where potential book coordinators (for a group project) will see it. (I'm PM'ing you about the move.) If you decide to go solo, it's best to record a few shorter things first until you get a feel for how much time it takes to record a whole book. Then if you want to solo it, you can post back in the Launch Pad: copy the solo template found in the sticky at the top of the Launch Pad forum, fill it all out, and an MC will be along to help you out. See the Newbie Guide to Recording if you haven't already, and if you have any questions, please do ask!

As far as this particular book is concerned, do you know of a PD online text source? Gutenberg has lots of Henty here but I didn't see this one.

edited to add: There is a Google Books scan of this and also a version on Archive.
Laurie Anne
von

Post by von »

I don't know of any short stuff I want to do. But I can look around. I wonder if Henty has anything short to do.
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The easiest way to start (and what we usually recommend) is to record the Weekly Poetry or another short work (this is also a good test of your recording equipment). Or choose a book chapter from an existing project; see Readers Wanted: Books. The book chapters will give you a good idea of how much work goes into recording a solo and how everything works here. Have fun finding something! (Watch out, it's addictive. :))
Laurie Anne
von

Post by von »

chocoholic wrote:The easiest way to start (and what we usually recommend) is to record the Weekly Poetry or another short work (this is also a good test of your recording equipment). Or choose a book chapter from an existing project; see Readers Wanted: Books. The book chapters will give you a good idea of how much work goes into recording a solo and how everything works here. Have fun finding something! (Watch out, it's addictive. :))
The problem being that I want to record something that I want to read :)

But I'll check these out.

Von
gallantFilms

Post by gallantFilms »

I love G. A. Henty's books and really enjoyed By Conduct or Courage. If you're willing to take me on I think I'll be able to help. :roll:
I'm also a newbie and this would be my first book.
von

Post by von »

gallantFilms wrote:I love G. A. Henty's books and really enjoyed By Conduct or Courage. If you're willing to take me on I think I'll be able to help. :roll:
I'm also a newbie and this would be my first book.
cool. I have already recoreded several chapters on my own. We need a moderator type person to really get going.
Please use PM for contacting me even when I have just posted something in the forum. I don't read forum posts, generally. Thx.

Alleluia! the salvation, and the glory, and the honour, and the power, is to the Lord our God
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

What you need is someone who is willing to be the Book Coordinator (BC).

Once the BC has posted the completed template in the Launch Pad, a Meta Coordinator (MC) sets it up in the database.

The BC takes care of the project until it is complete, at which point it is handed over the to MC for cataloguing. The BC guidelines page has lots of information on coordinating projects.

Anyone who understands the procedures, and is willing to take the responsibility and put in the time, can be a BC. Only admins can MC, for security reasons.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
von

Post by von »

RuthieG wrote:What you need is someone who is willing to be the Book Coordinator (BC).

Once the BC has posted the completed template in the Launch Pad, a Meta Coordinator (MC) sets it up in the database.

The BC takes care of the project until it is complete, at which point it is handed over the to MC for cataloguing. The BC guidelines page has lots of information on coordinating projects.

Anyone who understands the procedures, and is willing to take the responsibility and put in the time, can be a BC. Only admins can MC, for security reasons.

Ruth
There, I knew there was an official term for it :)

I also need to get done a lot of other work I have to do, and I need to put some chapters that I have already read into the uploader (Once I add those little bits at the front and back about 'this is a librivox recording..." Some of my kids can say that in three languages :) )
Please use PM for contacting me even when I have just posted something in the forum. I don't read forum posts, generally. Thx.

Alleluia! the salvation, and the glory, and the honour, and the power, is to the Lord our God
gallantFilms

Post by gallantFilms »

I don't really know how to become a book cordinator (I've never even recorded a book yet), but if nobody else will do it I'll try to read up on it-or something. :shock:
msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 »

I have been looking for Henty more books... can't record yet but I can PL pretty much as much as you want... so when you get this one going, let me know, and I will be happy to help...
<><
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

True to the Old Flag by G. A. Henty.
is running as a group project if anyone is interested in reading a chapter or 2 just pop over and claim one :D

http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20762&highlight=

Anne

Edit: Complete - https://librivox.org/true-to-the-old-flag-by-g-a-henty/
gallantFilms

Post by gallantFilms »

I'd like to help read "True to the Old Flag" although it's the least favorite of the Henty's i've read (porbably because he takes the British side of te War of Independence.)
However, I won't have the equipment I need to record for awhile. It may be two weeks it may be two months, but I'll try to help out.
msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 »

However, I won't have the equipment I need to record for awhile. It may be two weeks it may be two months, but I'll try to help out.
This is my problem too... unemployment really puts a crimp in your style... but my son just started working and will be helping out, and sooner or later they have to get caught up at the Employment Security... and there is a very large pawn shop down the street from me that specializes in electronics - one of the benefits of living in NC, USA is the military bases where soldiers buy stuff, then pawn it when they are tired of playing with it, you can get nearly new stuff all the time - it's where I got my monitor nearly 5 years ago... I'm going to check them out first when I get a couple of bucks, and go from there...

For now, my job is PL and cheerleading! :wink:
<><