Most (In-?)Appropriate Quotation

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Hokuspokus

Post by Hokuspokus »

I came —><— this close to telling him:
"Hark, villain! I'll grind your bones to dust
and with your blood and it I'll make a paste
And of the paste a stucco I will rear...." :twisted: l
:shock:
Then I thought the cops might not appreciate Shakespeare as much as I do. :(

:lol:

Unfortunately I never can remember a good quotation when I need one.
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hokuspokus wrote:...Unfortunately I never can remember a good quotation when I need one.
Me neither!

There is only a single one I manage to remember ( and always use no matter if appropriate or not ;)):

"For in that sleep of death,
what dreams may come,
when we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
must give us pause"
-Hamlet, Act III. Sc.I-

Elli :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I am generally subjected by my son to numerous quotations from Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, most of which, I have to admit, are extremely appropriate to this mad, mad world in which we live.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

I don't really know what 'Aluminium Siding' is but I sympathise with your suffering.
I am from time to time plagued by young women who phone me to say that they 'are doing a market survey' (They aren't really of course, they are trying to sell me something.) So ready for next time I have cobbled together a few well chosen words from the 'Lancashire Witches' that I am currently doing and printed it on a card by the phone. It runs as follows:-

"The curse of Paslew be upon you. By the holy patriarchs and prophets; by the prelates and confessors; by the doctors of the church; by the holy abbots, monks, and eremites, who dwelt in solitudes, in mountains, and in caverns; by the holy saints and martyrs, who suffered torture and death for their faith, I curse thee. May the malediction of Heaven and all its hosts alight on thy head."

That should see 'em off! I just hope they don't ask me what an eremite is.

(Do feel free to use it)
Regards
Andy Minter
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

I read a lot and usually when I am in a strange situation, I remember a quotation or a carichtor from a book. Sometimes, when people make me angry, I manage to say to myself "all the world is a stage" and than I start to laugh and the anger disappears.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

Andy, they'll be sure you are completely crazy and hang off the phone in fear that you'll run after them. Not to menshen that I wouldn't know how to read half of these words...
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

ExEmGe wrote:I just hope they don't ask me what an eremite is.
Hm, eremite sounds like 'Eremit' in German and that would be a hermit, would also fit the context, but I too haven't heard that word before :?

I never come up with quotes in the right moment, sometimes afterwards I got something but well, maybe next time then XD

Jessi^^
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

In case you have to explain it to a telephone solicitor (in the American, not the British sense of that word), an eremite is someone under a monastic vow who lives as a solitary hermit, not as a member of an organized community.
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

ExEmGe wrote:I don't really know what 'Aluminium Siding' is ...
It's a tacky attempt to permanently beautify a house by nailing pre-painted sections of aluminum to a preferably wooden house, thereby (supposedly) eliminating the need to paint it every couple of years. Concept was explored wittily in the movie "Tin Men", starring Richard Dreyfuss as a shady salesman in 1950's Baltimore, Maryland.
They call me Threadkiller.
My Catalog Page
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

An informative thread! I now know what aluminium sidings are and what an eremite is.
Ah.. Encyclopaedia Librivoxica
Regards
Andy Minter
kevinl

Post by kevinl »

Wow exemge! That's one whopper of a prayer-whammy! Does it come with a wand? Or eye of Newt? Must make those poor telemarketer womens hair fall out! :wink:
Kevin
:shock:
msjodi777

Post by msjodi777 »

I don't usually have need for curses, but I often use "a many years ago, when I was young and charming..." and other Gilbert and Sullivan quotes left over from high school in regular conversation... guess, it's not so much literary quotes, but song quotes (usually old song quotes) that pepper my common talk...

But, here's a thought for a group project, why don't we do some Gilbert and Sullivan? Now those would be a lot of fun! Yea, I know, go put it in the suggestion "box".... >>>> trotting off to the other forum>>>
<><
DebraLynn

Post by DebraLynn »

RuthieG wrote:I am generally subjected by my son to numerous quotations from Douglas Adams...
Whenever someone says something to me like; "Answer me this question..." I try to pop in with the answer "forty-two."
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=1166][b][color=violet]"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" (Groucho Marx)[/color][/b][/url]
musicmaiden

Post by musicmaiden »

DebraLynn wrote:
RuthieG wrote:I am generally subjected by my son to numerous quotations from Douglas Adams...
Whenever someone says something to me like; "Answer me this question..." I try to pop in with the answer "forty-two."
Haha, that's awesome. I'll never forget the time someone told me to google that - I laughed hysterically.

I tend to quote Anne books in regular conversation, but then no one knows what I'm talking about. It's really sad, 'cause there's some good ones. And they're really hard to explain. :( :lol:
www.musicmaiden.wordpress.com