What was your first LV listen?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
sadclown

Post by sadclown »

I also found out about Librivox from a podcast. But my first experience wasn't listening either, it was recording. A few chapters of Jane Eyre, I believe Jane Eyre was also the first book I listened to, in its entirety.
Jennifer
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

I bought a CD of The Parenticide Club by Ambrose Bierce from E-bay. I got Grimms' Fairy Tales at the same time and it was after listening to these two that I went on-line to see what it was about. I thought it would be really complicated and difficult to do any actual volunteering, instead I found all you needed was a microphone. I got started straight away.
So little space, so much to say.
dii

Post by dii »

The Invisible Man by H. G. Wells :]
Diana
aravis

Post by aravis »

The first LV recording I listened to was "A little Princess" by F. H. Burnett (Kara's version), which I bought from ebay.
But it took a podcast (Kara's free audiobooks on itunes) to make me realize you could volunteer!

Elli :D
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

"The first LV recording I listened to was "A little Princess" by F. H. Burnett (Kara's version)."
So did I. I listened to it at the end of 2006 an it took me a year to understand that I can be useful here dispight my blindness.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

'Psmith in the City' (PGW) although whether I listened or read first I honestly can't remember. I must have listened to something first though even if it was just to check that I wasn't stepping into a nest of terribly terribly superior pseudo professionals!
I first heard about Librivox on a usenet group.
My first recording was a chapter from 'A Tale of Two Cities' and a year or so later it still wasn't finished and the BC had disappeared so I took over the salvage operation.
Regards
Andy Minter
kayray

Post by kayray »

ExEmGe wrote:'Psmith in the City' (PGW) although whether I listened or read first I honestly can't remember. I must have listened to something first though even if it was just to check that I wasn't stepping into a nest of terribly terribly superior pseudo professionals!
Lol. Psmith in the City was one of the first books we finished, and a very good example of our non-professionalism! ;-)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Google (or Yahoo search) got me here... I had a sudden urge to listen to Treasure Island last summer, the rest is history :D
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

I began listening with Peter Yearsley's reading of M R James' Ghost Stories of an Antiquary. This is still one of my favourites.

Martin
pdw

Post by pdw »

kayray wrote:
pdw wrote:The first version of The War Of The Worlds.
Very good book. Love the illustrations too.
Oh, yes, I think our Stephan from Germany coordinated that one and drew the illustrations. And I got to do that weird Martian sound :)
OK, now I need to listen to it again...

PDW
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

I didn't listen to a book first either. Since I've got what's called "sicca complex," which means, for one thing, I have very dry eyes (& they also water & sting & burn all the time due to inflammation from my auto-immune illness, ankylosing spondylitis), I needed to find more audiobooks. I'm a member at Audible & have bought books from itunes. I literally have trouble reading actual books now--at least all the way through because it bothers my eyes & gives me headaches.

But it was a Google search that helped me find Librivox. And when I found I could actually help others listen to audiobooks too, I was intrigued. The first day I found LV it felt SO right to join; I immediately did & started PL'ing. Since I've been a pro freelance proofreader for paper books for over 13 years, this seemed like a perfect fit for me now. I've had to cut way back on my proofing for Moody Publishing due to my eye problems (deadlines are really hard to meet now).

The first book I started PL'ing was The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, read wonderfully by icequeen (Ann). The first book I recorded a chapter for was The Scottish Chiefs because I have Scottish ancestry (paternal line, my maiden name--the Ramsey clan! I'm the unofficial family historian; love genealogy and Scottish accents!). :D (Love English accents too.)

Obviously I tend to ramble when I post! :oops: LOL Sorry! Someday I'll get up the courage, find the right book, & record a solo. So many books--how to choose?!

I haven't listened to a lot of LV books yet, but I have finished earthcalling's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the group recording of Wanted: 7 Fearless Engineers, & am finishing up Kaffen's The Man in the Iron Mask. Meanwhile I'm PL'ing some interesting books.

I'm still trying to figure out what other books I want to listen to; I had no idea there were so many PD books & many authors I've never heard of.

Yes, I talk a lot! It usually leaves people feeling like this: :shock: (at least my husband & brother! :lol: ). Thank you all for being so kind & for having such a great community here! I'm so glad I found LV! :D

Joy :D
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

momof3Chihuahuas wrote:... the group recording of Wanted: 7 Fearless Engineers...
We had such fun recording that at a UK Chapter meeting! I'm glad it's finding some listeners :D.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

I wondered if you were in the same room when you recorded it. Cool! Have the UK chapter recorded any more group recordings? I'd love to find some more! :) If you haven't, please do! Or at least consider it. I know I'm not the only American who loves British accents.

I'm not even that much into sci-fi, really (well, more TV than books, actually), but the main thing that drew me to the book was that it was a group effort by British readers. And I really enjoyed it! All of you did an excellent job!

It must be fun to meet with other LV'ers. I'm a bit envious, but I'm glad you all can do that. :) Thanks for that book!

Joy :D
You cannot understand the glories of the universe without believing there is some Supreme Power behind it. Stephen Hawking

Twitter @momof3chis (but don't have cell phone LOL :roll:)
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Joy,

You can hear some out-takes from our very first UK Chapter meeting in
Podcast 24, which you can get from here.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Bead Krazy Dawn

Post by Bead Krazy Dawn »

My first listen was Kara's reading of A Little Princess by F.H. Burnett too.

I could not afford to buy books (audio or paper) and came to visit Librivox from her disclaimer.

Stav, I too did not think I could contribute at first. But I jumped in and found that there's something for every single person who wants to help. Now I love it here.

Dawn :9:
You can't talk yourself out of what you behaved yourself into. Stephen Covey