[COMPLETE] Fox's Book of Martyrs 2 - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Foxe's Book of Martyrs, A History of the Lives, Sufferings, and Triumphant Deaths of the Early Christian and the Protestant Martyrs Vol. 2, by John Foxe, 1516 - 1587, edited by Byron Forbush, 1868 - 1927.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/foxes-book-of-martyrs-vol-2/
The Book of Martyrs, by John Foxe, is an English Protestant account of the persecutions of Protestants, many of whom had died for their beliefs within the decade immediately preceding its first publication. It was first published by John Day, in 1563. Lavishly illustrated with many woodcuts, it was the largest publishing project undertaken in Britain up to that time. Commonly known as, "Foxe's Book of Martyrs", the work's full title begins with "Actes and Monuments of these Latter and Perillous Days, Touching Matters of the Church." There were many subsequent editions, by Day, and by other editors down through the years. Foxe's original work was enormous (the second edition filling two heavy folio volumes with a total of 2,300 pages, estimated to be twice as long as Edward Gibbon's "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire." This edition is much abridged from Foxe's original.

This book was first published shortly after the death of Queen Mary. During Mary's reign, common people of Protestent Christian faith were publicly burned at the stake in an attempt to eliminate dissension from Catholic doctrines.

Foxe's account of Mary's reign and its martyrdoms form a significant part of the work. Foxe intended to justify the foundation of the Church of England as a continuation of the true and faithful ancient church, rather than as a new denomination.

The work has a historic perspective. It begins with early Christian martyrs, and continues with the Inquisition, Wycliffe, and the Marian Persecutions.

For the English Church, Foxe's book remains a fundamental witness to the sufferings of faithful Christian people at the hands of the anti-Protestant Roman Catholic authorities, and to the miracle of their endurance unto death.

Roman Catholics often view Foxe's record of this period as extremely partisan and the primary propaganda piece for English anti-Catholicism. Among other objections, the accuracy of Foxe's claims regarding martyrdoms under Mary ignore the mingled political and religious aspects of the time period. Some of the victims may have been intent on removing Mary from the throne. Although the work is more accurate when dealing with events during Foxe's time, it is generally not a correct or impartial account of the period, and includes occasional "wilful falsification of evidence" (Summary abridged from Wikipedia by Karen Merline)

John Foxe on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Foxe
Foxe's Book of Martyrs on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxe%27s_Book_of_Martyrs
  1. How to claim a part:
    To find a section to record, simply look at the sections in the box below. All the ones without names beside them are available. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 to 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Date January 1, 2010. but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. Please note that if we haven't heard from you for two months, your section(s) will automatically be re-opened for other readers. I will note the date you volunteer for a chapter, and if you haven't recorded or posted about the progress of your chapter(s) for a month at any time, I may put them back to the pool. This doesn't mean you have to record within a month of making a claim, just be sure to keep in touch to let me know how things are going. As reading progresses, after due warning, we may reassign your sections if your claim languishes! If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text http://www.ccel.org/ccel/foxe/martyrs/files/martyrs.html
    But please read only from the individual text file provided for your section.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please read the intro's and outro's in the individual text files for your section.
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    bookofmartyrs2_##_foxeforbush.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. bookofmartyrs2_01_foxeforbush.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title] ## = your reading section number
    Title: 01 - Ch. 15, pt. 1
    Artist: John Foxe, William B. Forbush, ed.
    Album: Foxe's Book of Martyrs Vol 2

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by kmerline on November 23rd, 2009, 12:56 pm, edited 5 times in total.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Open for claims!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

1, 17 and 18, please. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you for claiming, Tricia - the sections are yours!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you for claiming, Tricia - the sections are yours!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you, Tricia - posted and linked!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Thank you, Tricia!
elsenorjose

Post by elsenorjose »

Chapter 22: The Beginnings of American Foreign Missions pt 01 (3061 words)

Chapter 22: The Beginnings of American Foreign Missions pt 02 (3704 words)

Chapter 22: The Beginnings of American Foreign Missions pt 03 (3248 words)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi elsenojose - Welcome to Libribox, and welcome to Foxe's Book of Martyrs. Sections 21 - 23 are yours.
dsw3131

Post by dsw3131 »

Nevermind. I was going to volunteer, but must withdraw it at this time.

Sorry.
dsw3131

Post by dsw3131 »

I would like to read for this work, but I couldn't get Audacity to run on my computer. I do have WavePad, which looks like it will work, but I can't figure out how to get it to change the ID3 tag.

If you can help me with that and are willing, I'd like to read for Section 2, Chapter 16: Persecutions in England During the Reign of Queen Mary pt 01 (3453 words)

Thanks.
dsw3131

Post by dsw3131 »

I figured out how to change the ID3 tag, so I'm good to go. Just need permission to start on Section 2.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

dsw3131 - Welcome to LibriVox, and to Foxe's Book of Martyrs!

Sorry for my absence. Sec 2 is all yours!