COMPLETE: [RELIGION] St Irenaeus Against Heresies - le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
rjhargrav

Post by rjhargrav »

My apologies, Joe! Should I re-upload the file, or will Kikisaulite be able to sort it out from here?
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

rjhargrav wrote:My apologies, Joe! Should I re-upload the file, or will Kikisaulite be able to sort it out from here?
I bet Kikisaulite can change the name of that file herself. Things get messy though, if all sections are submitted without following the same naming convention.

Thanks again..!!
rjhargrav

Post by rjhargrav »

Yes, that was sloppy on my part. Live and learn! :)
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

tsoapm wrote: Does anyone know of a reliable pronunciation guide for unfamiliar names in the text?
Ireneaus originally wrote this book in some form of ancient Greek, so if you can find a pronciation guide online that might help. I am assuming that you are referring to the names of the various Aeons and emminations, which is the most troublesome reading. When I read this stuff, I do my best to keep my pronounciation reasonably close and consistent, and go off what I know from previous readings, but the truth is I am just faking it. There are lots of pronounciation guides online for Hellenistic Greek (which all the names of the Aeons are transliterations of), but to be perfectly honest, I don't have the patience to slog through all that. I think there might even be some easy charts and guides on Wikipedia. In informal readings such as this though - I don't know if strict pronouciations are really even adhered to by everybody, because I hear old Greek words pronounced all sorts of different ways - and this by scholars and professors - so I figure, why should I worry about it??

In general though, I usually stress the second sylabble in words of 3 sylabbles or more (AnTHROpos, ProPATor, Monogenes = Mo-NAW-gen-ees, etc..), make sure there are no silent sylabbles (Sige is pronounced seh-GEE), round out the dipthongs (Aeon is pronounced EYE-own), and sound out all sylabbles (Autophyes is pronounced ow-to-PHEE-yes.... or at least that is how I pronounce it :? )

If anybody has any better information or advice, feel free to chime in..!!
tsoapm wrote: Also, in the magic window, is there a way to go back from the "Link to Text", rather than refreshing the whole thread?
I suppose that depends on your browser - but on Internet Explorer, you can click the 'back' button. That should do it. Or, you can open the text in a new window. Just right-click 'text to read' and select 'open in new window' or 'open in new tab'.

Hope that helps!!
Last edited by JoeD on June 11th, 2009, 12:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

I did not include footnotes for this reading, but if you want to download the original book off archive.org, you can see them - lots of them are really interesting and helpful. Here is a good one if you are confused about all those strange names for the Aeons, and what they mean:
It may be well to give here the English equivalents of the names of these Æons and their authors. They are as follows: Bythus, Profundity; Proarche, First-Beginning; Propator, First-Father; Ennœa, Idea; Charis, Grace; Sige, Silence; Nous, Intelligence; Aletheia, Truth; Logos, Word; Zoe, Life; Anthropos, Man; Ecclesia, Church; Bythius, Deep; Mixis, Mingling; Ageratos, Undecaying; Henosis, Union; Autophyes, Self-existent; Hedone, Pleasure; Acinetos, Immoveable; Syncrasis, Blending; Monogenes, Only-Begotten; Macaria, Happiness; Paracletus, Advocate; Pistis, Faith; Patricos, Ancestral; Elpis, Hope; Metricos, Metrical; Agape, Love; Ainos, Praise; Synesis, Understanding; Ecclesiasticus, Ecclesiastical; Macariotes, Felicity; Theletos, Desiderated; Sophia, Wisdom.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Joe and reading team: Here is what I try to remember to put in the first post for my ancient Greek and Latin projects:

Readers who would like help pronouncing Greek names may consult the following references:
http://dictionary.reference.com/
http://bartleby.com/65/
Or, consult the new LibriVox Wiki page for pronounciation resources at:
http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/HowToReadGuides_%28pronunciation%2C_reading_footnotes%29

I'm guessing that Ireneus was close enough to the New Testament era to write in the Greek dialect called "Koine", or common (meaning everyone used it) Greek. I don't distinguish between the dialects . . .
tsoapm

Post by tsoapm »

Thanks for all that! Very helpful.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Marian Martin

Post by Marian Martin »

JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Marian Martin wrote:Here's section 09. :)
Duration: 17:17
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/againstheresies_09_robertsrambaut.mp3

Marian
Right on..!! Thank you Marian..!!
Marian Martin

Post by Marian Martin »

Hello,
Here's Section 10.
Duration: 23:01
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/againstheresies_10_robertsrambaut.mp3
Regards. :)
Marian
tsoapm

Post by tsoapm »

My apologies. I've barely managed to start recording over the course of the weeks and I'm just about to start a new job, so I think I should unvolunteer myself for those sections I said I'd do.

Apologies again. Thank you for everyone who does manage to contribute - I really appreciate the effort that people put in to make this happen.
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

tsoapm wrote:My apologies. I've barely managed to start recording over the course of the weeks and I'm just about to start a new job, so I think I should unvolunteer myself for those sections I said I'd do.
Not a problem - and I appreciate you letting me know. If you are ever able to find time again, come on back..!!
JoeD

Post by JoeD »

Marian Martin wrote:Hello,
Here's Section 10.
Duration: 23:01
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kb/againstheresies_10_robertsrambaut.mp3
Regards. :)
Marian
Thanks for secion 10, Marian. Sorry for taking a while to update the Magic Window - I lost my blasted pasecode to get in there :oops: , fortunately kmerline came to the rescue and bailed me out :)