Volunteer CD Covers!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
kri

Post by kri »

Liz, read some of Todd's (designcrit) posts above.
LibraryLady

Post by LibraryLady »

Whoa, I just had my attention drawn to this project - thanks to everyone involved, these covers/packages look great!

Edit to add: Just read through this whole thread. Very excited about the possibilities for donating to libraries now that these elegant packagings are available! I really love this place.
Last edited by LibraryLady on June 14th, 2006, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie Coleman Rothenberg
http://www.anniecoleman.com/

"I hear the sound I love, the sound of the human voice." ~Whitman
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Colleagues: Just a note to say that, as a teacher educator preparing future teachers, packaging is everything in the classroom. Thus, CD covers mean a lot, providing a place to slip recordings into jewel cases, to be put away and pulled out easily for what are called "listening stations" in classrooms. Logistics is everything when you are dealing with 20-45 students! Offering an appealing product, not just a magic-markered CD, takes us to the next level ...

The more covers we can produce for our recordings, the more likely that students will reap the benefits of our efforts at voicing quality literature.

-denny mike
Last edited by DSayers on June 15th, 2006, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[u][url=http://tinyurl.com/MyLVReadings][color=purple][size=84]Projects Completed & In Progress[/size][/color][/url][/u].
vee

Post by vee »

Ok I'm really behind on this thread, but just so someone doesn't already do it. I have Call of the Wild broken up into 3 CDs already.

It's a little labor intensive, I haven't found a good way to break up the recordings easily yet.
Chris Vee
"You never truly understand something until you can explain it to your grandmother." - Albert Einstein
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

kri:

The catalog page looks great! Thanks for your work. :D

As for multi-disc labelling, that's a challenge. I'll have to mull it over a bit more, thinking of clarity and simplicity. First I'd suggest NOT burning WAVE files, if that's what you were saying, because of file size. I think the 128 MP3 format could be a "standard" for burning. We'll want to make a decision on that because it will directly effect how to set up a playlist. It seems certain that I'll need to revise Leaves of Grass to be a multdisc set. :oops:

Liz:

YES :!: If you can call around and find someone with NOPL who will meet with me the last week of June, I'd be very grateful. I'll be in town and could meet with them and maybe you. Will be on a family vacation, but will bring a few printed and assembled samples.

Drop me an email by clicking on my face on my blog. I did post a couple of general info email addresses, but no response.

Glad you like the designs!
www.opendoordesign.edublogs.org
open source graphic design
kayray

Post by kayray »

designcrit wrote:First I'd suggest NOT burning WAVE files, if that's what you were saying, because of file size. I think the 128 MP3 format could be a "standard" for burning.
Hmm. Mp3 cds only work for computer users and those who have newer, mp3-playing cd players. I would think a library would prefer audio cds that will play in ANY cd player. Better ask. I think we all assumed we'd be making audio cds -- hence the need for LOTS of volunteers to share the workload.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

Hi kayray!

Yes, we want maximum usability. But, I'm of the opinion that the space savings is well worth any slight drop in users. Would you be more likely to print and burn an audio book that required 4 inserts, 4 tray cards, 4 face labels, and four burn sessions, or one of each? ':wink:'

I'll wager 90% of our audience owns a player that plays MP3s. And the number is growing. Remember: we'd be planning for the future as well as the present.

Any new DVD player at K-mart plays MP3s, and most are priced under $100. Our old Dennon 1995 CD player plays 'em.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Possibly do both? mp3 first because it'll be faster to get the files available, audio files for people who've not got mp3 players. My DVD player will only accept audio disks ... I've had it for some years .. and I imagine a lot of personal CD players that are still in circulation can't handle mp3.

.... which will, of course, mean differentiating between them on the covers!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
kri

Post by kri »

I think the majority of the population has regular CD players. I would strongly strongly suggest creating audio CDs, rather than just burning MP3s to a disc. This is a case where I think we would be doing ourselves and our audience a great disservice if we were willing to accept a drop in listenership to burn mp3 data CDs. I think it would be quite a large drop as well. These will be going to a public library, which is open to everyone. We want people unfamiliar with this our computer age to reap the benefits and see the wonder that is the internet. This project really wouldn't be possible as it is without the internet. I really think it would be a bad idea to narrow our scope like that.

I also don't think we should worry about scaring potential CD burning-volunteers off because they'll have to burn 3-6 CDs, rather than one data CD. I was planning to go through at some point to calculate how many CDs it would take for each book we have based upon their runtimes. That way volunteers can choose to submitt a book that only has 1 or 2 CDs if the CD count is an issue to them. If someone else is willing to help me and do this as well, that's great! I think the standard CD allowance is 70 minutes.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Unfortunately, the cd player in my car (got it for Christmas) will not play mp3's sigh. SO... I have burned Mark Twain's autobiography onto audio cd's for it.......... 8 CD's :o But its not all for waste as my mom will get them when I am done. Some cd's could hold only 2 chapters while othe chapters were smaller and I could get 3 on each. At 40c each thats not too bad but it is alot of work for cd covers too.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kri

Post by kri »

Absolutely Starlite. It takes time and money, and this project won't be for every LV volunteer. It will cost you the money to buy the CDs, and it will cost you the money to send them. It will also take the time to burn the CDs, but I think that if we're going to do this we need to do it right. I know it's a pain to have a big bunch of CDs, but...well you know how I feel :)
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

I must admit, my instinct would be to go for audio CDs, as that would alienate the smallest number of potential listeners. (Even then, some CD players won't play CDRs). But, as Starlite and others have said, it multiplies the work, the cost, the storage space...
liz

Post by liz »

Just wanted to keep everyone up to speed on the New Orleans Public Library side of things: Todd e-mailed them yesterday, and I called yesterday, and someone in their development office is currently looking at the CD project.
kri

Post by kri »

liz wrote:Just wanted to keep everyone up to speed on the New Orleans Public Library side of things: Todd e-mailed them yesterday, and I called yesterday, and someone in their development office is currently looking at the CD project.
Awesome! :)
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

If we go with WAVE files (commercial format audio CDs) then we'll need to get special 4-CD jewel cases not available in most office supplies. Here's an example:
http://www.yesbuy.net/jewel-case-quad-cd-jewel-case.html
They are constructed to handle artwork differently too. Basically there are tray cards only from and back, giving only two surfaces for graphics instead of a minimum of three. The challenge there is fitting all chapters of Twain's biography on a tracklist. At least we're not recording audio cassettes!

2-CD cases have a standard insert and tray card, and the insert can be designed to be a 3-panel folder for a total of 4 panels for graphics.

It's a sticky problem, and one I'll need to solve universally before designing any more packages. I'm already redesigning Leaves of Grass, which will likely require tons of CDs to fit all 400 poems.

I'm also concerned that any older CD player that can't handle MP3 may also not play home-burned CDs. Hmm. Can we "road test" this in some way?

This is such a challenge that I think I must eat pancakes and think it over. Lots of pancakes with butter and syrup and bacon... :wink: [/b][/url]