back! if only for a moment (and a request)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

Hi guys,

I'm sorry to have completely vanished on you. I'm hoping to get back involved soon. Between moving across the country and various work in my last year of my phd, I haven't done anything enjoyable in months.

In the spirit of things that are not very enjoyable, I am looking for people to do a 5-10 minute web survey (that tests a linguistics phenomenon).

There's a prize drawing! I know some of you are in other countries, so if you win it can be for any gift certificate that can be emailed, in case iTunes or Amazon doesn't work for you.

The survey is at:

http://www.mvima.com/survey/index_d.php

You have to be a native English speaker (learned English as a child), age 18 or over.

It would be a huge, huge help to me if someone would do this :)

erin
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Done. :)

Now, if you had asked the meaning of this statement, I would have had to click the "I have no idea" button.
My current work in psycholinguistics is in experimental pragmatics, specifically on processing of scalar implicature
Laurie Anne
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

you're happier not knowing, trust me. :)

but if you are interested in what the survey is about, wikipedia has a decent explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_implicature

if you're going to do the survey, don't look at that first though!

p.s. someone pointed out that some of the questions changed on the double-check, but I don't know which person it was or if it was from here. but THANK YOU. i fixed it. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

'Twas I. 8-)

I hope my comments on those other questions still made sense with the change of the question numbers.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

oh they do make sense. the ones you commented on are very unpopular, so I am extra familiar with them.

but seriously thanks a lot for taking the trouble to mention it. I did not know about that problem. It looks like it never did the really bad thing of using the answer for one question as the answer to a different question, so it's not a disaster. but still, quite bad enough!

erin
kayray

Post by kayray »

I like surveys, and I like linguistics! :)
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
bublsort

Post by bublsort »

thanks a lot all. there were a lot of useful comments and observations!

Now that it's Monday and we're all back at work looking to kill time, if anyone else would be willing to do the survey that would be great, as I only need a few more people.

It has to be finished up very, very shortly so don't worry, this is my last word on the subject. :)

again that's http://www.mvima.com/survey/index_d.php

erin

p.s. then we're 0 for 2 kara :)
Bead Krazy Dawn

Post by Bead Krazy Dawn »

Hi Erin,

Did your test. If you are looking for an uneducated person that did not finish High School and has spoken english their whole life. You found her. Me. :lol:
You can't talk yourself out of what you behaved yourself into. Stephen Covey
Cori

Post by Cori »

Didn't finish High School, okay. Uneducated? Not from ANYTHING I've seen in this forum, Dawn! :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Bead Krazy Dawn

Post by Bead Krazy Dawn »

:oops: Thanks. Okay not formally educated. Just happen to love books. Dawn
You can't talk yourself out of what you behaved yourself into. Stephen Covey