[COMPLETE] The Story of a Soul by St Therese of Lisieux - sj

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux (1873-1897). [Translated by Thomas Taylor](1873-1963).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-story-of-a-soul-by-saint-therese-of-lisieux/

Proof-listeners outside the USA: Translator died in 1963. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, or Canada/Australia (author's death plus 50 years).

[quote]Summary text (Summary by Ann Boulais) Marie Francoise Therese Martin, affectionately known as 'The Little Flower', was born on January 2, 1873, in Alencon, France to Louis Martin and Zelie Guerin. She was the youngest and one of five surviving sisters of the nine Martin children. When Therese was 3, her mother died. Louis Martin moved his family to Lisieux to be closer to his late wife's brother and his family. It was there that Therese's sister, Pauline, entered the Carmel at Lisieux on October 2, 1882. Therese at that time also heard the Divine Call to religious life. Therese entered the Carmel on April 9, 1888, after much oppostion to her entering at the age of 15. It was there that she wrote L'Histoire d'une Ame (The Story of a Soul) through obedience. Eventually, Therese's other sisters entered the religious life, one at the Carmel of Lisieux and the other became a Poor Clare at the Visitation Convent at Caen. Therese died on September 30, 1897, at the Carmel of Lisieux of tuberculosis. She was beatified on April 29, 1923 and canonized on May 17, 1925.[/quote]
  • Target completion date: Dec 2009
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/16772
  • Type of proof-listening required: DPL for this project is momof3Chihuahuas
    Standard Proof-listening
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any repeats, or serious stumbles that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story of a Soul. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux. [Translated by Thomas Taylor]. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Story of a Soul. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux. [Translated by Thomas Taylor]. [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux . [Translated by Thomas Taylor]."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    storyofasoul_##_thereseoflisieux.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: St. Therese of Lisieux
    Album: The Story of a Soul: The Autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: sj - smijen
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by icequeen on June 23rd, 2009, 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.
smijen

Post by smijen »

I can MC this for you. Back soon with a magic window. :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Thank you so much! :D I can't wait to get started!
smijen

Post by smijen »

MW is all set. We can hang around the launch pad for a couple of days in hopes of getting a DPL, if you like.

A few other things:
-I can't find the summary on newadvent.org, but I suspect it is not PD. Can you please point me to the exact page? Most likely you will need to write a summary yourself or look on Wikipedia.
-did you want 13 sections total, or 13 plus the intro? Let me know if the MW needs fixing.
-I've deleted "the" from your file naming scheme, to match LV standard, so it will just be storyofasoul_##_...

Overall, great job setting this up! Hope you enjoy the project. I'll be watching the thread so just post here or PM me if you need any help. :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

smijen wrote:MW is all set. We can hang around the launch pad for a couple of days in hopes of getting a DPL, if you like.

A few other things:
-I can't find the summary on newadvent.org, but I suspect it is not PD. Can you please point me to the exact page? Most likely you will need to write a summary yourself or look on Wikipedia.
-did you want 13 sections total, or 13 plus the intro? Let me know if the MW needs fixing.
-I've deleted "the" from your file naming scheme, to match LV standard, so it will just be storyofasoul_##_...

Overall, great job setting this up! Hope you enjoy the project. I'll be watching the thread so just post here or PM me if you need any help. :)

You know, I think that you are right about the summary not being PD, I will get another one or write it myself. It is a total of 13 sections including the preface and the epilogue. So what you set up is right. And thank you for fixing the file naming and thank you for MCing this project!
momof3Chihuahuas

Post by momof3Chihuahuas »

Hello!

I just registered here tonight (and already downloaded a book), and I've read the listening instructions. This sounds like a fascinating book. Am I too new to request to be the DPL? Besides, by the time the book is done I'll know my way around even better. And I've been a professional proofreader for 13 years, but don't worry, I won't be critical.

My only question is if I need to have any special knowledge of pronunciation of French words (i.e., place & people names)? I'm sort of assuming that the reader already knows these things, so that won't be an issue? (Since it said standard PL.)

If I can do this, that'd be great! It'll be cool to do something a bit different with my love of books--and I've come to really love audiobooks lately. And I'll read up more on listening & get it all figured out; if I have any questions, I'll ask, of course.

Thanks! If I'm too new, that's fine too. Nice to meet you at this lovely website!

Joy :)
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

momof3Chihuahuas wrote:Hello!

I just registered here tonight (and already downloaded a book), and I've read the listening instructions. This sounds like a fascinating book. Am I too new to request to be the DPL? Besides, by the time the book is done I'll know my way around even better. And I've been a professional proofreader for 13 years, but don't worry, I won't be critical.

My only question is if I need to have any special knowledge of pronunciation of French words (i.e., place & people names)? I'm sort of assuming that the reader already knows these things, so that won't be an issue? (Since it said standard PL.)

If I can do this, that'd be great! It'll be cool to do something a bit different with my love of books--and I've come to really love audiobooks lately. And I'll read up more on listening & get it all figured out; if I have any questions, I'll ask, of course.

Thanks! If I'm too new, that's fine too. Nice to meet you at this lovely website!

Hi Joy,

As far as I am concerned, your desire to be my DPL is all that I need. You're hired! As far as the French goes, there really isn't all that much. I have tried to pronounce the names as close as I could to their French prounciations, but I know that it is no where near what it should be. I took lots of Spanish in high school and college, but never French.

This book is fascinating. I am in a book club and we are just finishing Story of a Soul. Therese's Little Way is very simple and very common sense. There are a lot of people out there who don't understand what the big deal is about her. But I love her, she is very sweet!

So, welcome aboard! I should hopefully have the Preface done and in next week.

Ann
momof3Chihuahuas

Thanks, Ann! I look forward to listening. It really does sound like a lovely book, & I've proofread some similar books in the past (biographies of Catholic & Protestant people). I also love to learn, nearly anything, really.

I took Spanish in high school too. But you're obviously an experienced reader here & already know the book, so I sure I'll enjoy it. And I'll read more about proof listening.

Oh, smijen, one thing I noticed (occupational hazard for proofreaders) :) is that chapter 11 should read "canticle" instead of "caticle."

I'm already tempted to do some reading too. I've noticed that The Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter needs readers. I'll just have to figure out the technical stuff before I volunteer. (I have Scottish ancestors--love genealogy--& it looks like a good book.) I need to get an external microphone. I'll post in that thread in the other forum area.

I know; I'm chatty! :mrgreen: Thanks for letting me be the DPL! I'm going to enjoy Librivox!

Last edited by momof3Chihuahuas on June 16th, 2009, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Oops, my mistake on canticle! All fixed now.
smijen

Post by smijen »

Hi Ann - I've moved us out of the Launch Pad and into Going Solo! I took 10 years of French in school (though it was some time ago!) so you can try running French pronunciations by me, if you like. You can also post in the Need Help forum. There are plenty of French speakers around here, and some kind soul will usually record an example for you to listen to.

Hi Joy - welcome to LV! I've added you to the database as the DPL for this project, so that means you have Magic Window powers. :D You and Ann can work out how you want to handle this project, but normally the DPL will post their proof-listening notes in the thread and also put them into the notes section of the MW. I'll PM you with your user name and password for the MW.
momof3Chihuahuas

Thank you both for welcoming me & allowing me to be the DPL! It's rather exciting to see my user name listed as the DPL. :D

Thank you, smijen, for PM'ing me, when you have time, about the MW. This is all still fairly new to me, but I can see I'm going to very much enjoy this site. :)

Ann, I listened to a section you've read on a book that's not finished yet, and you have such a lovely voice! So I know it'll be a joy (no pun intended LOL) for me to PL your work. This is going to be a great project!

Joy

P.S. I would've replied sooner (I've been logged in all evening), but got to doing some other things.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

smijen wrote:Hi Ann - I've moved us out of the Launch Pad and into Going Solo! I took 10 years of French in school (though it was some time ago!) so you can try running French pronunciations by me, if you like. You can also post in the Need Help forum. There are plenty of French speakers around here, and some kind soul will usually record an example for you to listen to.

Hi Joy - welcome to LV! I've added you to the database as the DPL for this project, so that means you have Magic Window powers. :D You and Ann can work out how you want to handle this project, but normally the DPL will post their proof-listening notes in the thread and also put them into the notes section of the MW. I'll PM you with your user name and password for the MW.

Thanks for moving us! Thanks also for the offer for the French pronunciations. There are a few words, but most of them I have heard pronounced elsewhere, so I think that I am fine. Well, hopefully. My last solo had a few sentences of French and, even though I got help with it, I still sounded horrible. I don't think that I will let into France anytime soon! :oops: If I need help, I'll call you!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

momof3Chihuahuas wrote:Thank you both for welcoming me & allowing me to be the DPL! It's rather exciting to see my user name listed as the DPL. :D

Thank you, smijen, for PM'ing me, when you have time, about the MW. This is all still fairly new to me, but I can see I'm going to very much enjoy this site. :)

Ann, I listened to a section you've read on a book that's not finished yet, and you have such a lovely voice! So I know it'll be a joy (no pun intended LOL) for me to PL your work. This is going to be a great project!

Joy

P.S. I would've replied sooner (I've been logged in all evening), but got to doing some other things.

Thanks Joy, I hope that I can read this work well, too. I just want to do justice to it. I may have the Preface in today, but don't worry about getting the PLing done quickly. When you are ready is fine with me. I will also let you know then what I will be doing with the material.

Ann
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, here is section 00, the Dedication, Preface and Prologue, 20.0 MB and 21:52.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/sj/storyofasoul_00_thereseoflisieux.mp3

Here is what I am planning for this project. First, I will not be reading the letters and poetry after the Epilogue. It's just way too much material. I will, though, be reading the footnotes. In the 1975 translation, they add so much more to the story. So, there will be two ways that I will read them. If it is a passage, then I will say Footnote and End Footnote around the passage. If it is name or a reference to Scripture, St Thomas Aquinas' Imitation of Christ, or St John of the Cross' Canticles of Love, I will just say what it is without designating it as a footnote. You will examples of both in this section. I think that's it. Like I said before, no hurry for PLing. Whenever you are ready! And if you have any questions, please ask!

Ann
momof3Chihuahuas

Hi, Ann,

I sent you a PM with a few questions. I'll post changes needed after you answer it (no rush).

I think the way you're doing footnotes is fine. Good idea. I've always liked footnotes, especially if they enhance the story & these do.

I don't blame you for not reading the poems, etc., at the end of the book. That would've been my choice too. It is quite a bit of material & not necessary for the autobiography.

You're an excellent reader--you have a very pleasing voice! :) Thanks for your help!