[FIXED] Pride and Prejudice (version 3: Karen Savage)

Report & help check download problems, corrupted files, badly-named files, bad links etc. (NOT for style & reading complaints)
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

Hello. I'm new to this forum and am glad that you have an errors link. I really love this version of Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen), read by Karen Savage (the catalog says it's version 3, but I don't know why the URL has 2 at the end).

http://librivox.org/pride-and-prejudice-by-jane-austen-2/

I downloaded the zip version (right-click, Save As...), and found a hiccup in Chapter 22. (I use Windows Media player to listen to the recording, and the error is at 01:22).

The text should be:
"...Charlotte had been tolerably encouraging, he was com[paratively diffident since the adventure of Wednesday. His reception however was of the most flattering kind.] Miss Lucas perceived him from an upper window as he walked towards the house, and instantly set out to meet him accidentally in the lane." (text in square brackets entirely skipped)

It skips and sounds like this:
"...Charlotte had been tolerably encouraging, he was com... <cut> Miss Lucas perceived him from an upper window as he walked towards the house, and instantly set out to meet... <skips back and repeats> Miss Lucas perceived him from an upper window as he walked towards the house, and instantly set out to meet him accidentally in the lane."

I thought perhaps the error was only in the zip file, so I tried downloading just that chapter (mp3@64kbps - 4.3 MB), but the error is still there.

I listened to the recording without reading the book at the same time, but I've read Pride and Prejudice enough times to know some of it by heart and to fancy there are some deviations (although not material). Still, it was wonderfully read, and I hope you can correct the error above stated. I'm looking for other readings by Karen Savage now that I've done with the book. :)

More power to you.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you for pointing this out, Buddybear. :D

It sounds like an edit has been put in the wrong place. Also the following bit "Miss Lucas perceived him etc" is then repeated.

I am sure Karen will be along as soon as she can to put this right, though, as you will appreciate, it is a busy time of year. :)

Thanks again.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

The copy I kept on my hard drive has the same error. I'll get it fixed and reuploaded within the week.
Karen S.
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

Thank you very much, Karen. :D I'm looking forward to the corrected version, and hope to put together a nice Austen audiobook collection. I already bought two online (Persuasion and Emma) before I had ever heard of "public domain" and audiobooks read by volunteers. Your reading is lovely, and I must say you rank right up there with the pros. :thumbs:

I have other favorite readers, too. But I believe there's another thread where favorites can be discussed, so I'll post something there another time.

Thank you, LibriVox! You've made this bookworm very happy. :9:
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'm glad you posted again. I'd forgotten all about this! I've re-recorded that section and it's uploading to archive now. Then I'll just have to set it to re-derive and it'll be good to go.
Karen S.
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

Hurrah! I downloaded the corrected version already, thank you so much! <bliss> :9:

I was wondering if it would be too troublesome to correct still one more error, a slight deviation from text. It had bothered me the first time I heard it because something didn't sound quite right, and in fact I kept thinking about it and repeatedly scanned the chapters later, going, "Where is it... where is it...? I know it's here somewhere..."

I found it at last, in Chapter 6 (10:27 into the recording, using Windows Media Player) where Miss Bingley says:

"You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings
in this manner--in such society; and indeed I am quite of your opinion."

What was recorded was:

"You are considering how insupportable it would be to pass many evenings
in this [matter]--in such society; and indeed I am quite [sure] of your opinion."

There were others, but I didn't want to seem too fastidious and raise trivial objections... :oops: because I know you all work so hard on the recordings, and the guide for the Error Reports section did say that we are encouraged to check "significant deviations from text"... but I hope you will consider revising it, since it was enough to change Miss Bingley's meaning.

Thank you again, and my apologies for the trouble. :oops:
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Working on it... :)
Karen S.
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

Hello again. Just wondering how this is doing.
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Sorry, haven't been able to get to it (for various reasons, my mic is at work at the mo, and the files are at home), but I still intend to fix it.
Karen S.
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

I understand. Didn't mean to seem impatient. Thank you.:)
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Well, I wasn't able to match the recording exactly, but the error is fixed.
Karen S.
buddybear

Post by buddybear »

Thank you so much!