Volunteer CD Covers!

Non-reading activities need your help too!
kri

Post by kri »

OK, I think I would enjoy coordinating this :) Let's say that we only allow CD-player compatible CDs. This means people have to be using a burner that burns audio CDs. This would mean we'd need some help info in the wiki about burning to CDs with various programs :) At least, it would help.

I'll work out the list of works, and the main post to put up later.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

YEAH Kri!! :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Brilliant idea. Count me in!

David
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Ditto! (But not till I get back from vacation.)

-Catharine
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

I'll send a few emails and see who I can shake loose. I imagine this may take awhile, to find the right person willing to take the CDs and get them into libraries in New Orleans.

Is anyone willing to do the email follow-ups if I get some suggested leads?

Of course once we have a recipient we'll need covers...

Have I created a monster???!!!
www.opendoordesign.edublogs.org
open source graphic design
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

He he thats what happens when you enlist a group of enthusiastic volunteers! :D
kri

Post by kri »

Don't worry about the time. I mean coordinating it on our end will take some time too. I can do some follow-ups if you'd like.
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I already produced the first part of The King in Yellow on audio CD's for a friend, so still have the files set up for copying. I can easily enough do the same with Ghost Stories of an Antiquary, which I've just finished ... ten hours reading! It didn't seem like that when I was doing it.

Two questions: 1) do we leave the librivox disclaimer on every bit, just at the front of each CD, or just at the front of each collection; 2) without a way of printing on my CDs, how should I differentiate between them for sending to whoever's going to do the labelling?

Oh, and it may seem mean, but I wouldn't think we'd want to do this too often, as CD and postage costs (not to mention recording or disk copying time) would mount up for each of us.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Peter Why wrote:do we leave the librivox disclaimer on every bit, just at the front of each CD, or just at the front of each collection;
....(not to mention recording or disk copying time) would mount up for each of us.
In light of Peter's second point (which I agree with), I'd suggest we do not alter the original recordings at all. Anything could be downloaded from the archive (i.e. not by the original reader) as mp3, and written to an audio disc, without editing.

David
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Peter Why wrote: CD and postage costs (not to mention recording or disk copying time) would mount up for each of us.

Peter
I agree... Although things are much cheaper here in canada. The price of a CD is about 40c which would be about 20p in pounds. And of course shipping from Canada to the US would also be cheaper. I think everyone would have to decide what they are willing to spend on this project and go forward accordingly. :)
kri

Post by kri »

Starlite wrote:
Peter Why wrote: CD and postage costs (not to mention recording or disk copying time) would mount up for each of us.

Peter
I agree... Although things are much cheaper here in canada. The price of a CD is about 40c which would be about 20p in pounds. And of course shipping from Canada to the US would also be cheaper. I think everyone would have to decide what they are willing to spend on this project and go forward accordingly. :)
That's kind of the way the situation is. This wouldn't be like most things you can do to volunteer for LibriVox. It does require resources and money. There's no way around that. You need to have a CD burner, you need to buy CDs, and you need to be able to afford the postage.
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

Hello folks!

It's Saturday morning, and I stayed up last night working on CD designs. So far I'm working on Grimm's Fairy Tales, Frankenstein, Leaves of Grass, and a new design I just posted on my blog for the Constitution. I'd like to get several CD packages designed, poroofed, corrected, and uploaded by mid-August.

And Ms. Dobbs, I have a question. What type of hat does Bloom wear in Ulysses? Is it a bowler hat? Hmm... :idea:

Finally, I have the problem of format. I'd like as much freedom as possible with format, but I don't want to get users too frustrated to use the designs. Right now I've planned on a 4-page simple folder insert, a 2-sided tray card for transparent CD trays, and a CD face label that's not for full-face labels. I'd llike any thoughts on the best format to use or which to avoid. For instance, I could design a 16-page booklet, but pprinting two sides, collating, trimming, and stapling would be too much for most users. Also, face labels come in a variety of formats, though most are 2-per page and are either centered on letter size label paper, or are staggered diagonally. Finally, I'm trying to decide between a "one size fits all" single PDF file that includes all three parts, or at least three different files. Hmm :?

How can I keep this simple??
kri

Post by kri »

I think it would be a good idea to...goodness it could be good either way, to have separate files or one for all formats. I saw some CD labels that were just small circles for the inside. I know there wouldn't me much designing to those due to the small space, but it could post a unique challenge :)

You've inspired me to whip up a quick paper CD case for a copy of Call of the Wild I'm sending a friend as part of her wedding gift. I wanted a simple way to package the CDs in something made by me. It uses this CD origami case thing I've seen several places on the internet. They're kinda cool, especially if you don't want to bother or don't have the money to buy plastic CD cases to hold CDs you may have bought in bulk.

Here's my somewhat hack-job CD cover:
http://www.greenkri.com/librivox/callofthewild2.png

Source for the origami CD layout:
http://www.tgries.de/origami/
http://www.ros.co.nz/cdwallet/
kayray

Post by kayray »

Whoa Kri -- thanks for the links! I've bookmarked 'em all. Lovely CD case!

Designcrit -- I have only a B&W laser printer, by the way... I'm sure your designs will be in color. Hmm. I think my husband can print stuff for me at work on the color laser printer, but others may be in the same boat with no color options at all. But I suppose those folks can pass the job on to someone who's color-equipped :)

Simple is probably best, though I know it'll restrict your options.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
designcrit

Post by designcrit »

http://designcrit.blogspot.com/2006/06/waste-land.html

I've designed a package for T.S. Elliott's The Waste Land that uses only one-sided printing and fits all parts into a single PDF file. It includes a simple folded insert, tray card, and disc label. There's also credit and copyright language in small print on the tray card.

Click on the Waste Land image on my blog above to download.

Can some of you folks test drive and proofread this for me? Also, would it make more sense to post to the thread for this title? I had trouble using the search function and finding that thread.

Hugh, how should I proceed with other designs, and where should they end up? For now I'm posting my blog in the sig line.