[COMPLETE] Hypatia by Charles Kingsley - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
istavisio

Post by istavisio »

I *meant* Sections 05 and 06m, parts 1 and 2 of "Miriam." So sorry!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi isvestio - welcome to LibriVox and welcome to Hypatia! I've assigned you the 2 sections of "Miriam". I think you will find she's a very interesting character.

Having Audacity experience is very useful! :) You may not need to do a "test" if you are confident. What we look for are freedom from serious background noise, high enough volume setting, and popping "p's", etc., under control. If you would like to do a short part of your section to test, that's fine too. Just upload according to the directions and post the URL here, and I'll have a listen.

I'm looking forward to your submission.
istavisio

Post by istavisio »

Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to it.
istavisio

Post by istavisio »

I'm so sorry! I accepted the sections then promptly caught cold and had a horror of a reading voice. Back to normal now and able to record. Should have something for you to review within the week.

Thank you!!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

I'm glad you are getting better.

No problem with delay, as this is just getting started - but thank you all the same for letting me know.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Here's section 38. It was quite an entertaining read:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/hypatia_38_kingsley.mp3
(8:47)

You might want to PL with text for this one - there are a couple of places where it sounds like I've accidentally left a repeat in, when instead the character speaking has stuttered, or one character has repeated another.

Also I had to look up or ask for the pronunciations of quite a lot of words for this section. Since some of them are likely to come up in other chapters as well, here are the pronunciations I've been using:

Hypatia = High Pat Ee A, where both "A's" are short as in "cat". There may be some confusion between classical and modern Greek here; the pronunciation of upsilon has changed drastically in modern Greek.
Orestes (oh-rest-ees)
Chaldean (cal-dee-an)
Chaldee (cal-dee)
Heraclian = Herr (as in German) Ak Lee Anne
Uzzah = Uzz (as in the first syllable of "cousin") Zar (the second syllable rhymes with "jar", although I do not think this name is Greek - it looks more like Hebrew or Babylonian).
Pulcheria (POOL chay ree ah)?
Palmyra (pal-my-rah)
Canopus (can-oh-pus)
Pelusium = Pell (rhymes with "bell") Oose (as in "moose") Ee (as in "bee") Um
Ammonius - pronounce it exactly as English "Ammonia" except change the last syllable to (English) "us". This is in fact the masculine name corresponding to the feminine Ammonia. Aristides (ah-ris-die-tees) (ah-reh-sty-tees)
Epaminondas (Ih-pam-ih-non-dus)

Any comments or criticisms of my performance welcome.
So little space, so much to say.
DreamingDoll

Post by DreamingDoll »

Hi I apologize for not having posted my chapter yet. I've been busy with AP tests and finals at school hopefully things will slow down soon and I can finish recording. :)
Morgan Moltisanti

Aspiring Writer/Dreamer/Idealist
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Lucy, thank you for your thoughtful attention to the pronounciation. I will suggest that future readers refer to them. :)

Yes, this is a good read - it's hard to beat an orphan monk who discovers his lost sister is a prostitute living with a wandering band of goths in Alexandria Egypt! (with Miriam and Hypatia thrown in for good measure).

And most of all, thank you for your section!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

DreamingDoll wrote:Hi I apologize for not having posted my chapter yet. I've been busy with AP tests and finals at school hopefully things will slow down soon and I can finish recording. :)
No problem, DreamingDoll - this is a long way from completion! But thank you for checking in!
HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas »

Lucy:

Good reading job. You might want to slow down just a bit, but that's a matter of taste. I could understand you just fine, and I thought you did a great job. I enjoyed your reading (as I did your rendidtion of Glinda!)
Thanks much for your reading.
Susan
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Thanks HeartofTexas. Speed is something I half-heartedly struggle with. I know I could be better, but I think I'm not being as bad as I could be. I haven't read anything for Glinda yet... Unless you're thinking of a different project?
So little space, so much to say.
dexter

Post by dexter »

OK, I'll take section 00, the Preface!
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Many thanks, dexter!
serenitylee

Post by serenitylee »

I would like to take section four, which is chapter 3, the goths.

I will upload a test of my reading since I am new, but I would love to be involved in this project.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

The section is yours! I'm looking forward to your test!