[COMPLETE] Hypatia by Charles Kingsley - km

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hypatia, by Charles Kingsley.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/hypatia-by-charles-kingsley/
Charles Kingsley (June 12 1819 - January 23 1875) was an English divine, university professor, historian, and novelist, particularly associated with the West Country and north-east Hampshire. As a novelist his chief power lay in his descriptive faculties, which are evident in this novel as he pictures the Egyptian desert and the ancient city Alexandria. Hypatia, (1st published in 1853), is set in 5th Century A.D. Egypt. It centers upon a young orphan monk from a desert monastery who feels called to continue his religious life in the city. He discovers a sister, who is a prostitute living with a band of Goths. Other characters include Hypatia, a lady philosopher based on a historical personage, Cyril, Bishop of Alexandria, Felix, the Roman prefect, a Jewish man who has lost his faith, and an elderly Jewish woman who is like a sorceress. St. Augustine of Hippo makes a brief appearance. (Summary from Wikipedia with additions by Karen Merline)

Charles Kingsley
The Historical Hypatia
  1. How to claim a part:
    To find a section to record, simply look at the sections in the box below. All those without names beside them available. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6 to 8 below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    Target completion date of this project: Date July 25, 2010, but try to send your recordings as soon as you can. I will note the date you volunteer for a chapter, and if you haven't recorded or posted about the progress of your chapter(s) for a month at any time, I may put them back to the pool. This doesn't mean you have to record within a month of making a claim, just be sure to keep in touch to let me know how things are going. As reading progresses, after due warning, we may reassign your sections if your claim languishes! If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  4. Where do I find the text? http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6308
    But please read only from individual .txt file linked to the line for your section in the box below.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: [Standard]

MAGIC WINDOW:

(BC admin)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Please by sure to read the introductory and end announcements in your individual .txt file.
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    titleinoneword_##_authorsurname.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number.
    (e.g. hypatia_01_kingsley.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://librivox.org/wiki/moin.cgi/WhatIsID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: 00 - Preface
    Title: 01 - Ch 01 The Laura
    Title: 02 - Ch 02 The Dying World, pt 1
    Title: 03 - Ch 02 The Dying World, pt 2 Please note: The 1st number is always the number of your readig section.
    Artist: Charles Kingsley
    Album: Hypatia

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: km - kmerline
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by kmerline on November 13th, 2009, 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Ready for claims!
HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas »

Karen:

Yes!

Susan
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Great! You are also welcome to improve the summary!

Off to readers wanted!
HeartofTexas

Post by HeartofTexas »

Do you want to set me as the DPL and give me access???

Susan
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

HeartofTexas wrote:Do you want to set me as the DPL and give me access???

Susan
D'oh! Sorry. Yes, of course! :oops:
DreamingDoll

Post by DreamingDoll »

Could I do Chapter 1 please?
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi dreamingdoll, welcome to LibriVox, and a warm welcome to "Hypatia". Section 1 has been assigned to you. It looks as though this may be your first recording!

Unless you have previous recording experience, you might like to submit a 3 or 4 minute sample of the beginning of your section to make sure the technical issues are all ironed out. :)

Just post it to this thread, and I'll have a listen. When you reply, please tell me the name you wish to use for catalog credit and your URL, if any.
DreamingDoll

Post by DreamingDoll »

Is it okay if I just record the Librivox 1 minute test thing, for a test, or would you still like me to record the beginning of my section.

Also you said you gave me section 1 but section 2 has my name by it? Would you be willing to change this?
Thanks. :)
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

howdidIdothat? I've fixed your assignment. I hope you enjoy reading it - it's a description of the young monk's desert monastery, and is noted by Wikipedia as an example to Kingsley's power of description.

You certainly may record the LV test recording. :) I look forward to receiving it.
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Could I claim section 38 (Ch 23: Nemesis) please.
So little space, so much to say.
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

lucky, welcome to Hypatia! I've deleted the extra post and assigned your section. :)
DreamingDoll

Post by DreamingDoll »

Hi! I've submitted my test and a weekly poetry section,and I've been practicing the beginning of the novel although I'm still figuring out how to edit. :P
kmerline

Post by kmerline »

Hi, Bella, I've listened to your test, and also read Ruthie's remarks in the "Listeners Wanted" forum.

I agree with Ruthie; she has given you excellent suggestions about how you might improve your volume.

I also noticed a background hissing noise. I tried Audacity Beta noise-cleaning on it, but it affected the sound of your voice.

I'm not a technical person myself, but you may find help in our "Help and Advice" forum.
istavisio

Post by istavisio »

Hello! I'm new to Librivox, though I've used Audacity software before. May I read sections 04 and 05, "Miriam"?