Wallace Stevens

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mtm

Post by mtm »

I'm interested in obtaining a copy of the journal Soil in which the Wallace Stevens poem "To The Roaring Wind" as originally published in 1917. Does anyone know where copies of this journal might be obtained?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I think you are rather in luck. It's here:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wallace_Stevens,_Primordia_(1917).djvu

(You'll have to copy and paste that link into your browser - it's one of those wiki links that isn't clickable.)

Ruth

[Edited by Cori to ascii-code the brackets and make it clickable anyway. <grin>]
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
mtm

Post by mtm »

Thanks so much for the info. I'm being told by Faber & Faber (who holds the Wallace Stevens rights in the UK) that in the UK (unlike the US for poems published before 1923) all copyright rights continue until 70 years after the author's death. True?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That is correct - in fact most countries except USA have authors death + some number of years as the copyright . The Berne Convention originally proposed a minimum death +25 so all his children could be grown up - USA never signed that one - but the number of years keep going up in most countries :evil:

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

The USA has Life+70 NOW, but different laws applied before 1978. Other countries have made these sorts of law-changes retrospective (or have split dates, like Australia most sensibly did) ... but the US basically has 3 possible sets of laws to apply, depending on when something was published (pre-1923, 1923-77, 1978+)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!