Problem with [book]

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
prufrok

Post by prufrok »

I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but there are some glaring problems with two of the readings for the [language] version of [book]. Chapter # of [book] is read by a [reader] who, with no offense intended towards the reader, does not do a very good job in pronouncing the [language]. Stresses are placed on wrong syllables; the overall intonation and rhythm is wanting. Again, I mean no offense or injury to the reader, but it is not fair to [author] to have [this work] read and recorded in this fashion.

Another error I have discovered is that [chapters of book] are also read by a foreigner. Again, with all respect to the readers of these chapters, they need to be re-recorded by native [language] speakers. Listening to these files is like trying to listen to Shakespeare or Milton being read aloud by French or German speakers. Not that these nationalities and languages are not beautiful in their own right, but a nation's literature should be read aloud for others to hear by native speakers of that nation's language. To do otherwise is unjust to the poets; it is unjust to their countries; and it is unjust to listeners of all backgrounds and ethnicities.

edited by admin to remove specific references
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Hello, prufrok, I have edited your post to remove specific references according to our forum policy:
3. No Unasked-For Criticism. For various reasons, we don't allow negative criticism (unless asked-for) of specific LibriVox recordings, readers or books on the forum. General criticism is fine. For more information, see: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=454
Your point has been brought up many times by other listeners, but our forum policy is to allow volunteers to record in any language they choose as long as they are understandable. However, we do welcome multiple recordings, so you are most welcome to add your own version to our catalog!

And I can't resist pointing out that many people very much enjoy English recordings made by native speakers of French and German. :) It is far too subjective a thing for us to try to regulate, nor would we want to.
Laurie Anne
harvey

Post by harvey »

Taking the advocated position to its logical extreme would require that
Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, and Australians be banned from
recording works written in England, including Shakespeare, because they
don't have a native English accent. But wait! There's more than one accent
in England. So we should also require the proper one -- by a native regional
speaker, of course -- based on what's appropriate for a specific work.

chocoholic wrote:I can't resist pointing out that many people very much enjoy English
recordings made by native speakers of French and German. :)
Yes, indeed: "Foreign" accents can be quite charming.
prufrok

Post by prufrok »

To the moderator who edited my post and pointed out Librivox policy, I thank you for clarifying my questions. I do respect your policies (especially that of not mentioning specific works in posts like the one I made--sorry about that), and your points did make sense. A rebuttal:

--You're right that it could be charming to hear an English text read by a non-native speaker of English. A non-native speaker with competency in the language. I say this simply because one of the readers of the work I referenced is clearly not even a competent speaker in that language. They do not pronounce words correctly. Theirs is not a charming reading; it is grating.

--I do not know how Librivox acquires recordings--are they solicited? If so, I would ask that Librivox solicit native-reader recordings of the work I mentioned, for the sake of uniformity, if nothing else. That way, at least listeners can choose which version to listen to.

To my friend in Idaho and his insights, I remain silent for the sake of inner and outer peace. Live and let live, my friend.
kayray

Post by kayray »

Hi Prufrok,

Thanks for understanding our policies and for keeping this a polite conversation :)

We do not solicit recordings -- our readers volunteer to record anything they like.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)