[SOLVED]Noise Cleaning = Funky Voice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Age of Chivalry battery.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Age of Chivalry mains.mp3
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Age of Chivalry mains no virus.mp3

The first one is on the battery. The second one is plugged in. The third is plugged in when I stopped the virus scanner. I think the problem is simply my comupter. However, I did not amplify the recording at all this time. I also made sure the fan was not running and I recorded simply nothing, and I still heard the hum. Thoughts?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ah Ha - so the problem is not the background noise , it is your recording volume - the amount of amplification needed has caused many of the other problems.

Two things to look at:

1. That your input volume is set as high as it will go in the recording software. (If you are using Audacity, this is a slider at top left next to a picture of a microphone.)

2. That your input volume is set as high as it will go on your computer. If Windows XP, this means click Start | Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Audio and finding the Sound Recording volume slider. Other operating systems should have something similar.

You will notice then, that the sound wave you produce is much bigger. Aim at getting nice big peaks and troughs - between 0.5 and 1 in the Audacity window.

So lets know what happens when you do this - or tell us it doesn't work and what sort of microphone you are using and someone will have another idea -
Fingers and toes crossed

Anne
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

So I adjusted the mic volume in windows (it was set at only 19!!!) and it definitely made my voice louder. However, I still hear the hum...is it an issue do you think? I'm not sure what else to do. I can't stop the fan in my computer from running. It runs intermittently (sp?) whether the I am plugged in or not. Thoughts?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

can you post a listen link - by the way don't leave any blanks in the file name the uploader hates them and does odd things.
don't amplify at all . Noise cleaning can work well.

Anne
Last edited by annise on March 11th, 2009, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Yeah, here is the sample. Might help you all voice any thoughts...

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/Age of Chivalry new mic levels test.mp3
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Sorry, missed that post about the spaces. I won't do it anymore :)
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Lots of blanks in file name so link doesn't work , I'll go and see if I can find it somewhere
Anne
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What sort of microphone are you using ? The volume is better but we still need more
Anne
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Not sure of the brand, but it is a stand mic. Is there a type you'd recommend?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

and it plugs in to the computer via the microphone hole? (its not in the speaker one by mistake - don't laugh - it has happened)

And it doesn't have a knob or something on the stand or cord to make it louder ?

This is getting a bit out of my "expertise" - I had a headset that I couldn't stand wearing and brought a logiteck usb linked one so that is my microphone experience. If no one comes past with a suggestion about wave size maybe we will start a new thread - we will wait and see - it is definitely a volume problem - your waves are minute .

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Does it plug directly into the soundcard (small round jack) or does it have a USB (flat rectangular) plug?

I'm not sure what operating system you are using. If XP, could you look in Start | Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Recording | Voice and see what it says under Voice Recording Default Device. That might give us a clue of what mic you are using.

Some mics (like my Samson Q1U) need pre-amp software to make them deliver any decent kind of volume.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

It is not a USB, but I will look into one tomorrow. I may not be able to afford one though!!! :cry: :oops:
Any other suggestions?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Just FYI, the Logitech desktop USB mic is about $20. I got mine new on Ebay for a bit less than than a couple of years ago. USB mics do work better than the others, I am told.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-Microphone-Black-Silver/dp/B00009EHJV
(not hawking Amazon or Logitech -- just showing you what I started out with at Librivox, and the Amazon link was handy)
Laurie Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's exactly the same as the one I use - and its been fine.

Anne