[SOLVED]Noise Cleaning = Funky Voice

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Hello all! I have done only 2 recordings so far and in both there was a hum. I didn't think it was too heavy when I listened to it, but the Proof-listener did, and I believe them!! When it was cleaned up (not by me so thank you KM) my voice sounds just funky. There is no other way to describe it. Here is the link: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/LaraC_feedback.mp3

Anyone know how to fix it? I think I know what caused the hum (a space heater--it was cold in KY) and I'm willing, though grudgingly, to re-record if necessary. But, I'd prefer to do it in another way, so I can read new things!!

Thanks to all who reply! Please help a newbie!
harvey

Post by harvey »

LaraC, any chance of your providing a short sample, say, 30-60 seconds,
to reduce the downloading time for those of us using dial-up?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi
Noise cleaning will always have some effect on your voice. People will not be able to help you on a noise cleaned file as they will not know what the original problems were and the voice sounds you want have already been deleted.
Your best approach would be to record a 1 minute test as recommended in the Guides for listeners and Volunteers linked at the top of this page and post a link in the "Listeners Wanted" forum - that way you will get advice on ways of dealing with your problems and can then work out what you want to do.

Anne
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Could you also point us to the original file so that we can compare the difference?
Karen S.
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

Yes,it's got that noise cleaning swirl to it.
It's comprehensible but for future recordings I would recommend trying to track down the hum.
Noise cleaning should be a last resort.
Trying to get a clean recording in the first place is the easiest route and will make your recording life a much happier one.
Can you give us an example of a recording with the hum and a list of your equipment (software, microphone, anything else plugged in).
One possibility of a hum is a connection which isn't earthed.
If you're using a laptop you could maybe try it with the mains unplugged to see if that helps.
Regards
Jim
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
jimmowatt

Post by jimmowatt »

RuthieG wrote:It's http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/km/ageofchivalry_22_bulfinch.mp3

I'm taking a look at it.

Ruth
That sounds like background noise.
Recording under a blanket might be the answer.
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=75]Jim Mowatt[/url] - [url=http://historyzine.com]Historyzine - The History Podcast[/url]
russiandoll

Post by russiandoll »

jimmowatt wrote:If you're using a laptop you could maybe try it with the mains unplugged to see if that helps.

A small word of caution about that advice, which I've seen given here and there, and as far as I know is perfectly sound from a noise-reduction standpoint: I use a not-very-new laptop with not much RAM and Audacity tends to start skipping and jerking when I use battery power rather than mains. So I don't.
English is the lingua franca par excellence
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

It has

1. a bit of DC offset.
2. an intermittent and variable heavy hum
3. a hiss

1. DC offset (that's when the recording line is constantly above or below the centre line) is easily solved. Select the whole recording (Ctrl+A) then click Effect | Normalize and check the "Remove DC Offset" box only. Then click OK.

2. The intermittent and variable heavy hum bothers me most. Are there any other electrical things in the near vicinity? Heaters, fluorescent lights, fans etc? Try turning them off and see if it makes any difference.
EDIT: Oh, I just read your post. :oops: It was the space heater. Well, at least I was right. :D

3. The hiss. My instinct is this is mic noise. Once the other problems are dealt with, it may be manageable.

I also notice that there is a long silence at 2:40 and one of four minutes at 5:28. Do you know what happened there?

Ruth
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

THe long silence is me being flighty and forgetting to turn on my mic. I guess I will re-record them without the space heater on :(. Thanks Ruth! Your suggestions look good and I will definitely try them before I re-record.
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Also, the recordings were done with the computer both on battery power and while plugged in. It just depends on my battery life at the time I have to record. I also may look into a different mic--I bought the cheap one.
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Thanks! I'll keep working and let you know!
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Nice positive attitude, Lara. :)

May I suggest that you do a one minute test and upload it. Then we can see if we have any more suggestions to make.

A couple more tips: Make sure that you have a good high input volume on your mic. If you can avoid having to amplify, you won't be amplifying the background noise too. Keep in the same position relative to your mic, so that the volume stays as constant as possible, and so that you don't get plosives (popping "p"s from your breath hitting the mic straight on). You have a lovely voice and great reading style, so if we can get all the technicals right, there'll be no stopping you. :D

Ruth
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

LaraC wrote:Also, the recordings were done with the computer both on battery power and while plugged in. It just depends on my battery life at the time I have to record. I also may look into a different mic--I bought the cheap one.
That would possibly explain some of the second layer of noise appearing later in the original.

Leaving Audacity running with the microphone on you can look at the "background noise " level and maybe get an idea of what causes it - the more like a straight line it is the less noise the computer is getting.

And please - don't re record it before you do a test piece and have it checked - there are a number of fixable problems but its hard to get them all right in one go and another 1 minute test is better than reading something for the third time

Anne
LaraC

Post by LaraC »

Will do--possibly tonight.

Thanks everyone!! Everyone is so nice here!