[COMPLETE] Short Ghost and Horror Story Collection 002

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sandarroch

Post by sandarroch »

Catharine

thanks for the feedback, I've picked out another story and will record it with a different mike, as I was using a headset for the last one, hopefully that will solve the problem.

Sandarroch
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

sandarroch, if it's a headset mike, then probably all you need to do is to just adjust the mic a little away from your mouth. Angle it up towards your nose or down a little towards your chin, that'll be fine. :) I look forward to your next recording!

-Catharine
will-tijerina

Post by will-tijerina »

Hi,

My first feeble attempt. It has been a learning experience.

Source text: http://guttenberg.org/files/14471/14471-h/14471-h.htm
Author: Algernon Blackwood
Title: The Empty House
Duration: 43:20
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor002_theemptyhouse_blackwood_wt.mp3.mp3

Thank you, I hope its usable,

W.
soupy

Post by soupy »

The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

will-tijerina, what a nice recording! It sounds quite polished, if perhaps a little on the quiet side. :) What name would you like to be credited with in the catalog? Do you have a URL you'd like us to point to?

soupy, thanks for your submission! I'll listen to it soon and get back to you with feedback.

-Catharine
soupy

Post by soupy »

I had some trouble with normalization and amplification.

Credit me as Craig Campbell

no url

Thanks for the reply.

Also thanks for volunteering!!
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

soupy wrote:I had some trouble with normalization and amplification.

Credit me as Craig Campbell

no url

Thanks for the reply.

Also thanks for volunteering!!
You're welcome! :)

-Catharine
GrantBarrett

Post by GrantBarrett »

Hi, I've just joined the website, and these are my first three submissions.

Text source: www.holidaysongsandstories.com (under "More Vintage Stories" category)

Edgar Allan Poe
The Pit And The Pendulum
44 minutes 28 seconds
Grant Barrett
www.holidaysongsandstories.com

Edgar Allan Poe
The Masque Of The Red Death
17 minutes 51 seconds
Grant Barrett

Edgar Allan Poe
Metzengerstein
28 minutes 59 seconds
Grant Barrett

I hope that they are listed according the guidelines and that you will be able to use any or all of them. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Thank you very much!

Have a good night,

Grant Barrett
will-tijerina

Post by will-tijerina »

ceastman, thank you for your kind words. For the catalog my name would be fine (Will Tijerina). I have no URL at this time. I hope to get at least one more in for this collection before its full.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

will-tijerina, you're all entered into the catalog now! I look forward to future submissions. :)

GrantBarrett, welcome to Librivox! I applaud your enthusiasm. :) Unfortunately, I can't accept your submissions in their current state. Please take a close look at the requirements as listed in the first post of this thread and make sure that your files comply (the files need to have the Librivox disclaimer added, make sure they're mono, 128-bit 44100 khz, give them appropriate names, etc). Once your submissions meet our requirements, I'll be happy to accept them! Also, I'll need links to honest-to-gosh text that people can read that's clearly from a public domain source. Thanks so much!

-Catharine
sandarroch

Post by sandarroch »

Hi Catharine
I've uploaded a new story for your collection:

Text source: http://www.horrormasters.com/Text/a0236.pdf
Author name: Algernon Blackwood
Title: Accessory Before the Fact
Runtime: 17:30

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor002_accessory_blackwood_sw.mp3

best regards
Sandarroch
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

Hi Catharine

Hope this makes the grade:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ce/ghohor002_theheadlesscat_odonnell_bt.mp3

Supposedly this is non-fiction by a writer named Elliott O'Donnell retelling of a firsthand account of a haunting in Manchester, UK. Found on Project Gutenberg's Horror bookshelf:

The Headless Cat of No.— Lower Seedley Road, Seedley, Manchester
By Elliott O'Donnell, Animal Ghosts (1913)
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18233/18233-h/18233-h.htm#CHAPTER_I

Ironically, as I was listening to the playback, a neighborhood cat in heat yowled its way through my backyard. Brrr!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

sandarroch and BellonaTimes, thanks much for your submissions! I'll listen to both in the next day or two.

Bellona, yours is going to end up being a curious case... normally this project doesn't accept stuff that was intended as non-fiction. Let me listen to it; I suspect it's appropriate, but I just want to be sure.

Besides, don't a large fraction of ghost/horror stories claim to be true? ;)

-Catharine
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

soupy, your recording is fine. There's a couple of spots where it's louder than the surrounding material, but nothing too bad.

One thing I do need to ask you about: what's the tune that you sing the song to? Is it a previously known tune that's in the public domain? Is it something you made up yourself and hereby dedicate to the public domain?

(Sorry to have to be a stickler about it... it's just for legal purposes, we have to make sure that *everything* we put into a recording that we then dedicate to the public domain, is legally okay to put there!)

Thanks,
Catharine
BellonaTimes

Post by BellonaTimes »

ceastman wrote:sandarroch and BellonaTimes, thanks much for your submissions! I'll listen to both in the next day or two.

Bellona, yours is going to end up being a curious case... normally this project doesn't accept stuff that was intended as non-fiction. Let me listen to it; I suspect it's appropriate, but I just want to be sure.

Besides, don't a large fraction of ghost/horror stories claim to be true? ;)

-Catharine
It reminded me of something from the fun old TV show One Step Beyond, which was supposedly based on real examples of paranormal experiences. Some things like raining frogs can now be explained away as natural phenomena -- the frogs were swept up in a tornado. Ghost-hunters might beg to differ ;)

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/hotspots/manchester.php

Headless Cat

Location: Manchester - Private house along Lower Seedley Road, Seedley
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Circa late nineteenth century
Further Comments: For a two month period, until they finally moved out, a family endured the sounds of a cat in terrible pain. At one point, the lady of the house was found unconscious - she said she had encountered a headless cat which pawed at her legs.

Hauntings are pretty subjective things depending on people's upbringing and/or religious views.