COMPLETE: Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Ok, let's try this:

Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen (Volume I).
This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

http://librivox.org/farthest-north-volume-1-by-fridtjof-nansen/

Being the Record of a Voyage of Exploration of the Ship "Fram", 1893-96 and of a Fifteen Months' Sleigh Journey by Dr. Nansen and Lieut. Johansen / by Fridtjof Nansen ; with an Appendix by Otto Sverdrup (Summary by Fridtjof Nansen)
  • Target completion date: January 2010
  • Text source Vol. I. (only read from this text!): http://ia351402.us.archive.org/2/items/farthestnorthbei01nans/farthestnorthbei01nans.pdf
  • Type of proof-listening required: Word Perfect Proof Listening- Proof-listening against the text
    -- While listening, follow the online text and note any differences (with the time).
    -- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
    -- Are there any stumbles or repeats that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
    -- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
    -- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
    -- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
    -- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project will be opened up to a group project as soon as a Book Coordinator can be found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to have it re-instated).

MAGIC WINDOW

(BC admin link)
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "File [Number] of Farthest North, Volume [Number]. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Sharon Riskedahl"
    • Say:
      "Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen" Volume [Number], Chapter [Number], Chapter [Title], Part [Number]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "File [Number] of Farthest North, Volume [Number]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain.
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by Sharon Riskedahl"
    • Say:
      "Farthest North by Fridtjof Nansen. Volume [Number], Chapter [Number], Chapter [Title], Part [Number]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      End of File [Number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of each volume, say (in addition):
      "End of Farthest North, Volume [Number] by Fridtjof Nansen."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    farthestnorth_##_nansen.mp3
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - Chapter [Number], [Title], Part [Number]
    Artist: Fridtjof Nansen
    Album: Farthest North, Volume I
  • Instructions for soloist: transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select an MC, which for this project is: jo - knotyouraveragejo
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by sriskedahl on January 28th, 2009, 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sharon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Sharon,

Both of these volumes are quite long and each would be an ambitious solo project by themselves. I would suggest that you consider reading Vol 1 first and then start Vol 2 as a separate project once you are done with Vol 1.

Jo
Jo
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Jo:

I agree with the Vol I/Vol II suggestion. I have edited the template accordingly.

The number of files cannot be accurately determined (presently showing the natural section divisions) until I do chapter word counts. I'll try to do that today. That will result in another template edit to add a "Part [number]" to the reading instructions. I'll do that also.

So, perhaps we should wait until these changes are made before creating the project .

Takk!
Sharon
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Hello, Jo.

I have estimated word counts based upon an actual count of Chapter I.

We will need 15 sections. I fixed that in the template.

Some readings will require two or three parts. I have changed the tagging and intro reading to allow that.

I think this is the best I can do without some guidance.

I am waiting to see what you think.
Sharon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Hi Sharon,

I'll be happy to set this up for you but I can't do so until this evening. The number of sections can be adjusted as you go along if need be. At a quick glance this all looks OK, although you could simplify your ID3 tags as follows:

Title: ## - Chapter #, Title, Part #
Author: Fridtjof Nansen
Album: Farthest North, Volume I

Jo
Jo
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Jo:

I agree on the simplified tags. I changed that in the template.

Looks like we are good to go!
Sharon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Yes you are all set up with a magic window in the first post. I will PM you the login info so you can add your section titles and listen links as you upload your files. In reading your other thread, it looks like you have a PLer :wink: Shall I add him as DPL for this project in the database?
Jo
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

I have filled in the sections of the MW with a good guess of the ultimate divisions. If a part is not required due to it reading shorter than it presently appears it will, I will delete it and move the remaining sections up.

Yes, create the DPL.

Thank you!
Sharon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Sharon,

That all sounds fine. I've added Frihet as DPL and moved the thread to Going Solo. Do you plan to read the Table of Contents? Generally, most readers don't bother with that. :)

Jo
Jo
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

File 01 is in the MW and PL'd.
The adventure has begun -
Sharon
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

File 02 is in the MW and PL'd.
Sharon
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Jo:

I have somehow uploaded a damaged file "farthestnorth_02_nansen.mp3" which is in the MW as file 2. When I did that, the old file was renamed. Can we recover it and put it back in place of the one that is presently in the MW?

I was trying to correct a tag error and seem to have really made a mess.

Thank you.
Sharon
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Sharon,

I was wondering what you were doing with those files. :wink:. There currently are three files for section 2 on the uploader. It's the original one uploaded on Feb 8th that you want me to keep, correct?

Generally speaking, it's not necessary to reupload a file just to fix a tag. Just make a note in the magic window for me and I can fix it at cataloging time. :)

Jo
Jo
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

Yes, please keep the original upload.
Thanks much -
Sharon
sriskedahl

Post by sriskedahl »

File 3 is uploaded and PL'd.
Sharon