call 4 remote collaborators UlyssesCh15cPlayfulExperiment

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

A call for collaborators - Ulysses Chapter 15c - A Playful Experiment

The Ulysses thread:
http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=199&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Hugh has set up special rules -- unruly rules! -- for reading Ulysses. What points I lose (for extensive editing) I expect to make up from sheer enjoyment and chaos (from extensive editing) if I can find a few far-flung collaborators.

15c - "(HALCYON DAYS, HIGH SCHOOL BOYS.." (~1935 lines)
is a remarkable batch of language
just 15c: http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/15cUllyses.txt
full text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300

to the as-yet-unknown collaborators*
1) let's present each word of the text intelligibly
2) leave the editing and layering to me or share the editing, whatever is your preference
3) let's spend a few days brainstorming how to collaborate (I have a million unthought ideas yet to be spawned by your words)
4) let's play!

*at least three venues of collaboration:
1) participating in the brainstorm
2) participating in the recording
3) participating in the spirit (just by reading this thread and thereby subtly influencing the direction of everything)

more anon
anita roy dobbs
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on May 15th, 2006, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Oh, I think this would be fun to join in!

To consider:

- one part per person? multiple persons per part? (depending on # of participants) multiple parts per person?

Anyways, yes, I'd like to be part of this!

-Catharine, who has finally started recording the fifth of her five cantos for Dante, so figures she can sign up for something new.
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

yyyyeeeessssss! ceastman!

by the way, here's just the chapter (new link)
15c - "(HALCYON DAYS, HIGH SCHOOL BOYS.." (~1935 lines)
http://www.studioae.com/LibriVox/15cUllyses.txt

Both sound good to me! yes! sometimes one person per part, sometimes many persons per part.
[reminds me of the link to Kelly Link story, (Off Topic, Sister Sites thread) where a television character, "Fox," is played always by different actors but always with characteristics identifiable to Fox, a breathy high voice, certain mannerisms]
Characters are always identified, so swapping would be considerably feasible.

ooh. an instant thought. take a passage:
BLOOM: It overpowers me. The warm impress of her warm form. Even to sit where a woman has sat, especially with divaricated thighs, as though to grant the last favours, most especially with previously well uplifted white sateen coatpans. So womanly, full. It fills me full.
imagine a man's voice except the blue is a woman's voice, but both are Bloom, one is Bloom explaining, the other is Bloom experiencing
eh ... I can hear it for this passage, I don't know if there are others
[logistics not difficult]

old thought: each character identification
[ Bloom: The Echo: The Yews: etc.] could be read just once and inserted for each need.
I hear it said down a long cardboard tube to the microphone, a pseudo megaphone effect.
unformed thoughts: Or recorded over the phone? I don't think shouted over a great distance, but maybe. Or [heh] as if called out from the stage wings, prompting the actor.

new thought: the stage directions...
thinking of the hushed tones of the announcer at a golf tournament, always spoken in low, intimate voice, always loud enough to hear because of the signal amplification, not because s/he's speaking loudly.
example of stage directions:
(HE RUSHES TOWARDS STEPHEN, FIST OUTSTRETCHED, AND STRIKES HIM IN THE FACE. STEPHEN TOTTERS, COLLAPSES, FALLS, STUNNED. HE LIES PRONE, HIS FACE TO THE SKY, HIS HAT ROLLING TO THE WALL. BLOOM FOLLOWS AND PICKS IT UP.)

if the functions of Name: and (Stage directions) are demarcated by some audio quality like "megaphone" or "golf announcer" then again, we could have different voices (not always the same identifier,not always the same stage director)

unformed thoughts: choruses
could be the same person recording multiple tracks of the lines
could be several people
[technical brainstorming later]

old thought: for certain passages, record in various spaces, shower (dry), closet, under the covers, in an echoing warehouse, for varying room tones and toward varying effects (e.g., hallucinations, spirits talking, etc.)

advance the chaos -- things will sort themselves out over the next few days. ooo-la

anita
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

I'm in, too - I was annoyed that I forgot to sign up before Ulysses was fully subscribed, so this is my second chance to participate a little! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

i hope you'll participate a *lot* Gesine!

yay! Gesine is playing! ... let the brain waves roll (one method is
to open the text in one screen and an open post in another . . .

oh! an idea, inspired by hugh's suggestion of reading in pubs
(again, for specific passages, e.g. brothel) imbibe drink of choice to preferred extent.
low tech special effects our specialty

. . . and scrolling through the 60 pages, let the text buffet your imagination till a sparkle in your eye leaps into the post. that's one method. ... here now, moving scroll bar to mid-text, skimming till struck...by some stage management (abridged here):
HE WALKS, RUNS, ZIGZAGS, GALLOPS, LUGS LAID BACK. HE IS PELTED WITH GRAVEL, CABBAGESTUMPS, BISCUITBOXES, EGGS, POTATOES, DEAD CODFISH, WOMAN'S SLIPPERSLAPPERS. AFTER HIM FRESHFOUND THE HUE AND CRY ZIGZAG GALLOPS IN HOT PURSUIT OF FOLLOW MY LEADER: 65 C, 66 C, NIGHT WATCH, JOHN HENRY MENTON, ... THE NAMELESS ONE, MRS RIORDAN, THE CITIZEN, GARRYOWEN, WHODOYOUCALLHIM, STRANGEFACE, FELLOWTHATSOLIKE, SAWHIMBEFORE, CHAPWITHAWEN, CHRIS CALLINAN, ... MINA PUREFOY, THE WESTLAND ROW POSTMISTRESS, C. P. M'COY, FRIEND OF LYONS, HOPPY HOLOHAN, MANINTHESTREET, OTHERMANINTHESTREET, FOOTBALLBOOTS, PUGNOSED DRIVER, RICH PROTESTANT LADY, ...
HANDSOMEMARRIEDWOMANRUBBEDAGAINSTWIDEBEHINDINCLONSKEATRAM, THE BOOKSELLER OF Sweets Of Sin, MISS DUBEDATANDSHEDIDBEDAD, ... OLD DOCTOR BRADY WITH STETHOSCOPE, THE MYSTERY MAN ON THE BEACH, A RETRIEVER, MRS MIRIAM DANDRADE AND ALL HER LOVERS.)

I hear one speaker before the colon and after it, alternating readers (all collaborators' voices used one at a time) [we all read the whole list, happy editor splices, oops nevermindthelogistics wecandoit]
weee
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

this looks like fun ... but i';ll have to listen from the sidelines!
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

hugh wrote:this looks like fun ... but i';ll have to listen from the sidelines!
and toss in ideas? not that your unruly rules haven't already heaped a haystack of possibilities in front of us...
jump in with any further visions or oral hallucinations :wink:

[though...we may need to tap hugh for a cameo... :!: ]

:idea: Some sections might be lifted up single-handedly by a collaborator.

in response to ceastman below:
yes!yes!speaking with mouth full. Ooh, speaking into your mug, into a large bowl with headset mic on.
agree! (of course, it's brainstorming! I agree with Everything!) Bloom plain, Bloom un...what?...unmanipulated (well except for blue word ideas, but it's all Bloom (male/female)
hmm, must search for purple cow (any pigs? any sheep? fawns? then it's up to US!) tallyho

return once fed and stir the stew here
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on May 15th, 2006, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hee. You're brainstorming plenty well already! (And I had no time today, veryverysorry!)

You've hit already on something I thought of: Did you hear the 'Zombie Cow' rendition of Purple Cow back in early April? It had some neat echo-ey, outer-space/dream-space effects, some of which could be put to good use.

thought - use echoey for some of the other characters, and unmodified recording for Bloom?

Anyway, must go eat. Food. Are there any bits where someone eats something? If so, one should talk - comprehensibly! - with mouth full.

-Catharine
Shepherd

Post by Shepherd »

This sounds way cool. If there's any way I can help, PM me or e-mail me. I've never read Ulysses, but that doesn't sound like it's necessarily a detriment. :)
Writer, [url=http://deadeyesopen.com]Dead Eyes Open[/url] and [url=http://man-man.org]Man-Man[/url]
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

YAY! Shepherd is aboard!!
excellentexcellenntexcellent
Please do *look* at the text sometime and if that looking leads your mind to any expressable ideas, puh-leez express them here in this thread so it'll richochet off our foreheads and cause new ideas to spring out.

later edit: by the way, why I yay!
http://www.shep.ca/pages/godroommate.html

Our mission: deliver the text intelligibly
Our method: play
Our moment: brainstorming

another reference for us (sort of crib notes :D ):
http://www.rte.ie/readingulysses/
specifically: http://www.rte.ie/readingulysses/episode15.html

In response to Gesine below: no sorries, guiltless in brainstorming! extended for a week (I'll be away a lot Thu&Fri, hardly checking in)
i love to keep our idea time here on the thread so all and any can add to it
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on May 16th, 2006, 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yay Shepherd! This is going to be fun. I'm sorry I haven't contributed to the brainstorming, Anita - very frustrating to do this on one's own... will do tomorrow but really have to go to bed now - 2.30am already!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Oooo! And Anita, I saw from another thread that you live (or are in) San Francisco. Peter and I are just down the Peninsula in Redwood City - which means there's possibilities of having multiple people in a room recording together, which could be way cool.

Must read text.

-Catharine
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

ohWOW! then, then, then, the chapter could get some points back (by hugh's rules, we would have gotten extra points if we didn't edit, but of course, editing is central to this experiment)
yes! -- we can recover some of our lost points by meeting in a PUB

In response to johng below
yay!! johng is in!! I went tugging his sleeve and it WORKED! we're just about at critical mass I b'lieve.
Last edited by a.r.dobbs on May 17th, 2006, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
johng

Post by johng »

Hi All,
Anita's asked if I would join you in this wonderful experiment.
I'm delighted!!
I'll be watching this thread as I finish up with another project...and then jump in with both feet...in about 4-5 days.
:D

ciao for now,
John
The Trouble is,
you think you have Time.
-Buddha
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

<hushed, conspiratorial tones, sparkle-eyed, crooked-smiled>
i was in the hills yesterday at a flower ... ranch ... and in the dark of the night, in a hangar-like greenhouse of water plants ... recorded a chorus of frogs

we're near critical mass

someone please toss a stone in our still pond here and see what ripples up, eh?